Sunday, May 29, 2022

Writing on the Road

Writing on the Road by Cheryl Hollon  

Do you write while you’re on vacation or during business travel? What about at the beach or on your ski holiday? You can bet I do! There’s a good reason.

In 2013, I received my first three-book contract at about this time of year. I was about to realize my dream of becoming a published author. Looking back to my early writing days, I can see that one specific action put me on the path to publication. I put my writing first.

It was a new thing for me, but I started writing every day. Sometimes, it wasn’t very many words, but I kept my head in the story by opening my work in progress the first thing in the morning. Not easy when you’re working, going to school, raising a family, or whatever your busy day looks like. The fact that writing was my top priority rewired my brain to acknowledge how important it was to me.

I have discovered that when I get close to an important deadline, I actually need to get out of our tiny apartment. My favorite writing space is in one of the many co-working spaces here in downtown St. Petersburg. It would be easier if I could write in coffee shops, but I’m too easily distracted. Here’s my workspace from last year. I’ll probably sign up again for the final push on my current book.

 

After nine years, I feel hollow unless I’ve written something every single day. So, if I know I won’t have internet access on vacation, I’ll bring along a printed copy of the manuscript section I’m working on, do some revision, and press on.

When I’m traveling by road, my routine is rigid. I set up my writing area as soon as I enter the room. I fire up my laptop and make sure I can access the internet with reasonable bandwidth. It doesn’t have to be great, but it needs to let me access Office and Dropbox. You have no idea how many times I’ve had to change rooms due to poor connectivity. It’s easier if you haven’t unpacked your clothes. I do this even when traveling with a group.

 On airplanes, I use a small Moleskin notebook and write in that. I feel too cramped to use a laptop, and that feeling makes writing harder. The notebook lets me keep the story in my head without worrying about someone pushing back their seat. Before I got published, I wrote most of my first book on long-haul flights from Tampa, FL, to Sydney, Australia. Even with a fair tailwind, that’s a fourteen-hour flight. Another favorite place for me is those little kiosks in the airport. I fire up my laptop there with no seatback worries.

My favorite travel writing is on trains. My husband and I frequently reserve one of the sleeper roomettes for traveling up to Savannah, GA, or further to Washington, DC. He watches movies on his tablet, and I get a ton of words on the page. The view out the window is soothing in a way that I can’t really duplicate anywhere else. It could also be the slight movement of the train car rolling down the tracks that keeps my fingers flying.

These actions keep my story moving. How do you manage writing at home or when traveling?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My Paint & Shine Mysteries are set in the Daniel Boone National Forest. My parents were born, raised, and now rest in peace in the Adams Family Cemetary in Wolfe County, Kentucky. The characters spend a lot of time preparing traditional southern meals and creating moonshine cocktails. Please consider buying local. Our independent bookstores need your help during this challenging time. Sometimes, purchasing a single additional book per day can save a small bookstore.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088WYF8QV

 


Cheryl Hollon writes full-time after leaving an engineering career designing and building military flight simulators in amazing countries such as England, Wales, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, and India. She combines a love of writing with a passion for oil painting and creating glass art in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida.

Cheryl is a Past President of the Florida Gulf Coast Sisters in Crime, a board member of Florida Mystery Writers of America, and a member of International Thriller Writers. She regularly attends SleuthFest in Florida, Malice Domestic in DC, ThrillerFest in NYC, and Killer Nashville in Tennessee. You will also find her at Left Coast Crime and Bouchercon, wherever they are held.

 

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Cheryl!

    If I'm traveling to a convention like Malice Domestic, I rarely get much or any writing done. I figure my "job" is to interact with readers and promote what books are already out. But I'm always jotting notes to myself about the WIP.

    My "vacation" trips are rare and short, and I've found I do better if I DON'T write. I need to give my brain an occasional day off and just do something fun and relaxing to refill my creative well.

    I've never taken a real train trip, aside from a couple of scenic train rides, but it's on my bucket list. The picture you've painted of writing onboard has only reinforced that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy taking vacations from writing. I'll work harder and longer so I can have a week or two when I don't have to produce new words or edit old ones. I return from vacation fresh an productive and often with new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Debra Goldstein for inviting me to guest blog on Writers Who Kill. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you at a conference soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl! Love this, I bet writing on a train is fabulous. I’ll have to give it go. Writing at home is easiest. I have a dedicated office that I disappear into first thing in the morning and don’t emerge until two or so. My on the road protocol is similar to yours, but I plaster sticky notes on every available surface that read “Don’t forget the laptop.” Yes, fear motivates 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annette -- you simply must try at least one train trip. We prefer a sleeper car with room for George to read or watch movies on his tablet and I have room to set up my laptop. It's a bit pricy, but for a one-shot trial, it won't break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kait, Since I traveled so much in my engineering job, I'm used to having everything with me. In fact, I feel naked without my backpack. I understand how you feel about the ease of writing in the home office. In my case, home is not an especially quiet or calm place for writing, so I frequently rent a co-working space for a few hours every day. I'm not great at coffee shops, but I can do social media and writing administrivia with lots of activity around me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't travel with my laptop. Instead, I focus on photography. My memories of the places we visit and the photos I've taken reinforce my writing. Hard to explain, but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Margaret, I also LOVE photography and have ordered a new digital camera for my June trips. There's something magical about looking through a viewfinder that convinces me to stop and enjoy my surroundings. I think all art influences my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing has to be a priority if we're ever going to end up with finished and polished manuscripts.

    I sometimes put a project on a back burner for a at least a week or so. When I return, I can view it with "new eyes" and often see things from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi KM, I have great difficulty pausing a project. You're lucky this technique works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the beauty of deadlines, isn't it, Cheryl? A writer's gotta write. Thanks for stopping by WWK today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also need to have a change of scenery to write. I'd love to take a writing train trip! The sleeper cars make me envision an Agatha Christie novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Molly, I agree with the beauty of deadlines, but I don't always agree with the stress. I'm getting better at finishing books faster - I think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Korina, Thanks for stopping by. The sleeper cars certainly provide a no-distraction environment for me. I at least double and sometimes triple my normal word count.

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad to have you as a WWK guest. Made me think about the fact that when I'm vacationing or conferencing, I have two different modes of writing --- computer on the vacation, but usually only when everyone else is sleeping or taking a long hike and occasionally long hand on a plane or boat. Most of the time on vacation, I read or let my mind clear (percolate) new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debra, Thanks for hosting me as a WWK guest. I'm packing now for being gone the whole month of June. Write on!

    ReplyDelete