Monday, May 9, 2022

Punderful Titles

by Shari Randall AKA Meri Allen


I’ll never forget the moment I opened the email from my editor announcing the title of my cozy mystery debut in the Lobster Shack Mystery series. I was sitting across the breakfast table from my daughter who was enjoying a bowl of cereal when I read the title.

 

“Curses, Boiled Again!”

 

We both fell into gales of giggles, and yes, she laughed so hard milk did squirt out of her nose. It was hilarious – and perfect. What else would you call a book about an injured ballerina who works in her kooky aunt’s lobster shack and solves murders? 

 

This was my first cozy title, and I wasn’t sure what to make of it. Those who don’t read the cozier end of the mystery spectrum also find the titles baffling, but I soon learned that cozy readers are in the know. 

 

Cozy titles – with their humor and puns - are a little wink, and cozy readers are in on the joke. The titles are fun but they serve a purpose beyond humor, too. They’re clues that a reader will have a particular experience reading a cozy. A promise of danger and mayhem, with a nod to the hook, and a signal that the book is fine for the whole family to read. Murder with a side of whimsical wordplay lets the reader know what to expect: a book that’s more Gilmore Girls than Gone Girl, more Murder, She Wrote than Goodfellas.

 

How did we get from The Mystery of the Blue Train or Murder at the Vicarage to 

Ho Ho Homicide? Hard to know exactly when the cozy titles got so punny. Some say the magnificent MC Beaton’s Quiche of Death kicked off the trend in 1992. All I know is, I get a kick out of them. Here are a few particularly clever, fun, and groan-worthy titles:

Wonton Terror (Vivien Chien)

Owls Well that Ends Well (Donna Andrews)

Last Wool and Testament (Molly MacRae)

Cheddar Off Dead (Korina Moss)

Dewey Decimated (Allison Brook)

 


So when I needed a title for my upcoming Ice Cream Shop mystery, I started brainstorming with friends, family, readers, and my editor. Before my publisher decided each title would have a flavor in it, I’d come up with THE COLD ART OF DEATH for book two (fantasy ice cream social plus death of a much-reviled avant garde artist at a castle owned by a reclusive former super model) You see the problem. The title’s not cozy or ice creamy enough. So after many delightful detours, we hit on MINT CHOCOLATE MURDER.

 

Book Three in the series is done, but has no title (the set up: murder of the wealthy, cold-hearted bride at her Halloween themed wedding). Here’s the scoop on the contenders so far. What do you think?

 

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE DEATH

MOCHA AND MURDER

PUMPKIN SPICE AND NOTHING NICE

PUMPKIN SPICE ICED

PUMPKIN SPICE VICE

PISTACHIO PLOT

FATAL FUDGE SWIRL

 

Feel free to suggest a title or share one of your favorites in the comments.

 

Shari Randall is the author of Lobster Shack Mystery series with the punny titles CURSES, BOILED AGAIN!, AGAINST THE CLAW, and DRAWN AND BUTTERED. As Meri Allen, she writes the Ice Cream Shop Mysteries. The debut title is THE ROCKY ROAD TO RUIN (because what else do you call a murder mystery about a former CIA librarian who runs an ice cream shop?) Book Two, MINT CHOCOLATE MURDER, drops on July 26, 2022.

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. I'd go for Pumpkin Spice and Nothing Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, I like that one, too. Now it's a waiting game to see what my editor picks. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I’m looking forward to #3. My fav -Pumpkin Spice and Nothing Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a book set at Halloween, Pumpkin Spice and Nothing Nice is my favorite, too. Another option - Pumpkin Spice Peril. Hold onto Fatal Fudge Swirl for book 4.

    Thanks for including Last Wool and Testament!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kait, Molly, and Jim - awesome to see the votes for Pumpkin Spice and Nothing Nice. I will pass this on to my editor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a little off base, since it's not cozy mystery, and not really "punny," but my favorite "fun" title is Jean Shepherd's "In God We Trust; All Others Pay Cash."

    Years ago, I read a cozy set in a laundromat called "Wash, Rinse and Die."

    ReplyDelete
  7. KM, I love these! Now I want to read them!

    ReplyDelete