Sunday, May 8, 2022

WHAT TO EXPECT AT A WRITERS' CONFERENCE

By Korina Moss

 

Writers Who Kill were well represented at Malice Domestic

I went to my first writers’ conference recently, Malice Domestic, which is a fan convention for writers and readers. According to their website https://www.malicedomestic.org/, “Established in 1989, Malice Domestic is an annual fan convention that… celebrates the traditional mystery, books best typified by the works of Agatha Christie. The genre is loosely defined as mysteries which contain no explicit sex, or excessive gore or violence.” Because I write and overwhelmingly read cozy mysteries, these were my people. 

I was scheduled to be on my first-ever authors panel, dine with VIPs from my publishing house, be interviewed on a podcast, and meet dozens of authors I admire. So yeah, you could say I was nervous about attending. 

Our panel "How Sleuths Navigate Tech & Social Media"


I also had other apprehensions like the cost of the long weekend (yikes, but it was worth it), the 8+ hour drive (I broke it up into two days so I wouldn’t expend all my energy before I even arrived), and being among hundreds of people for three days in a Covid world (I got a second booster). Combine that with the concerns of not knowing what to wear (I went with smart casual with a focus on casual), if I would say something stupid (of course I did), and if I’d be wandering around alone, feeling like I didn’t fit in. Thankfully, even as a newbie, I felt included even before arriving. The mystery writing community is a friendly, welcoming bunch.

Authors Edith Maxwell, Annette Dashofy, Joyce Tremel, Liz Milliron, me

Authors Rosalie Spielman, Julie Anne Lindsey, me, LynDee Walker, Barb Goffman, Cathy Wiley


So what might you expect from your first mystery writers’ conference?

Expect to be overwhelmed (but in a good way).

Expect to not get enough sleep.

Expect to do too much and still wish you could do more.

Expect to experience lots of firsts.

Expect to come away with an even greater appreciation of authors.

Expect to make new friends.

Expect to be imperfect. 

Expect to be informed.

Expect to fangirl (or fanboy) over your favorite authors.

Expect to discover new books and meet new readers.

Expect to come away fatigued by exhilarated.

Expect the things you worried might happen to be outweighed by all the positive things you didn’t anticipate happening. 


Readers: Tell me about your first conference or a time you ventured outside your comfort zone. What was that experience like? 


8 comments:

  1. My first conference was the Pennwriters Con back in 2004. It's a writer's con rather than a fan one, but I went in knowing maybe TWO people (and I didn't know either of them well). I came away at the end of the weekend with a new family, not to mention a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm.

    My first Malice was about three years after that. I went in knowing maybe THREE people. The outcome was much the same, except I also came home with a request for manuscript pages.

    It was great meeting you, Korina! Welcome to the Malice family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first was a writer's conference on Whidbey Island where I learned a ton.

    Malice was my first fan conference, and I wore my boa for the Guppy group picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like great advice. I disn’t know quite what to expect the first time, but the outcome was much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed Malice. I have yet to attend and am hoping to do so in 2023. It sounds like so much fun! Fish out of water experience. Oh, too many to talk about! Fortunately, they all worked out... so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great meeting you at Malice, Korina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago, Malice was my first conference!

    I didn't go this year, but I'm hoping for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing your stories of your first conferences! It was truly wonderful meeting you Annette and Molly, and getting to have a couple of meals with you, Annette -- I heard many people talking highly about your books and I got to say, "Why, yes, I DO know Annette."

    It's definitely a fish out of water experience, Kait, so I'm happy to swim with you if you decide to go next year!

    I'm now going to have to investigate that Guppy photo, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great meeting you, Korina. Welcome!

    My first conference was Bouchercon 2012. Yeah, I jumped in the deep end. I only knew two writers from my local group. But the first person I saw there was Hank Phillippi Ryan, who is so lovely, and everyone was so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete