Saturday, August 10, 2019

A Guest Blog by Author Zaida Alfaro


While reading my books, I hope readers will laugh, fall in love with a character, relate to a character, but most importantly, I want the reader to escape from the real world for a few hours.
Having readers say they enjoyed reading my first book and commenting that they couldn’t figure out the identity of the murderer is rewarding. But the most rewarding feeling is knowing that I was able to make my dream of becoming an author a reality.
The most exciting moment for me was my very first book signing event at Books & Books in Coral Gables, FL.  I remember it was pouring down rain and the start time of the event was delayed about a half hour. When I walked to the podium to start the event, I saw so many faces sitting there, holding my book in their hands, waiting for the event to start. They were there to support me, rain or shine. I felt so overwhelmed by the support that I started crying during my first sentence, which was, “Welcome to my book signing.”

I am often asked, what advice would you give to people wanting to enter the field?  The best advice I can give is to not give up.  I received so many rejection letters, that I was on the verge of not sending out any more query letters.  Then I attended a book signing for one of my favorite authors.  Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for her, I was the only person that attended the signing.  I was able to sit with her for an hour and talk about my novel and the hardships.  She said, “Give yourself a deadline of a year before you resort to self-publishing. Do not give up just yet.”  So, when I left that signing, I calendared a year from that date.  In six months, my book was picked up!  So, do not give up.  Give yourself a deadline and send out as many query letters as you can.  There will be one publisher that will believe in your work, but make sure that you believe in your work first.

The Last Note: A Miami Music Mystery is a novel which not only engulfs the reader in the life of the witty and lovable main character, Vy, but is also meant to provide its fans with the first of a series of novels based entirely on the murder and music genre.  This 65,000+ word novel will appeal not only to those readers who love a good murder mystery coupled with humor, but ones who wish to become familiar with the world of a musical talent trying her best to come up through the ranks of bars to superstardom. The Last Note is a mixture of mystery, mayhem and comedy, and you will find yourself immersed in Vy's musical and murderous world.

 Biography

The novel’s main backdrop, the amazing city of Miami, Florida, is beloved and well-known to me. I was born and raised in Miami, and like the novel’s main character Vy, I am a singer/songwriter, as well as the lead singer to a cover band. All things relating to music or literature are my passion.  Many years ago, I became an avid reader of cozy mysteries. The story lines were intriguing, engaging, and funny at the same time. I was so inspired by the authors, that I then decided to take my musical experiences, and put it on paper. I began writing this first novel in 2009. In between my full-time job, my weekend gigs, and my personal life, I finally completed the novel. The phobia's, the dream sequences, and the quirkiness of the main characters, are all based on facts. There are many amazing cozy mysteries pertaining to food (Lucy Burdette), tea (Laura Childs), psychics (Victoria Laurie), and flowers (Kate Collins), but there has yet been a mystery pertaining to music.  I hope to be able to bring that love I have for Miami, the Cuban culture, music, and writing, to the readers of my novel, and to the series to come.

You can visit the following websites for find out more about my books and music:
FaceBook:  zaidaauthor www.facebook.com/zaidaauthor
Instagram: zaidamusic
Twitter: zaidamusic www.twitter.com/zaidamusic
Website: www.zaidamusic.com

4 comments:

  1. All the best, Zaida, and say hi to Mitch Kaplan from me! A signing at Books & Books is a big deal. Looking forward to a hometown read and the start of a new series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feelings at that first signing are familiar to so many of us. Thank goodness for our readers and supporters!

    I hope your series lives up to all your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to those who commented on the blog!

    Kait, I will say hi to Mitch Kaplan. I was so excited that my very first signing was at Books & Books.

    Warren, thank you. I am hoping there are many readers who have that same thought. :)

    KM, yes, if it weren't for the readers/supporters, our characters would never come to life.
    Thank you to all for reading the blog. And thank you Writers Who Kill for having me on your blog.

    ReplyDelete