Monday, July 1, 2024

Pick Your Poison by Teresa Inge

While participating on the Agatha Christie panel at the Murder, Mystery, and Mayhem event this year, we discussed Christie’s fascination with using poisons to kill many of her characters. Thanks to her work as a nurse and a pharmacy dispenser during World War I, her knowledge of poisons was extensive.

In her first novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, strychnine is featured, and it is described as an ideal poison for a writer due to its rapid onset and dramatic effects. But the poison she used most frequently is Cyanide, appearing in And Then There Were None and The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side. In other books, victims die from arsenic, digitalis, and morphine.

However, Christie was not the first writer to introduce poison in a mystery novel. She just used them with such incredible detail, that a reader could learn about a new poison and its effects instantly. This method made her novels quite sophisticated to readers during the Golden Age of Detective Fiction in the 1920s and 1930s, which is often referred to as the Golden Age of Poisons, largely due to Christie and her contemporaries who used toxins to dispatch characters in their novels.

The panel discussion continued with the methods of murder that mystery writers use today to bring about a character’s demise. These include stabbings, shootings, blunt objects, fire, drowning, and strangulation.

However, the use of poison still continues in culinary mysteries and other genres. Writers use plant poisons such as hemlock, lily of the valley, poisoned mushroom, Nicotine, and Oleander. Drugs and medicine include insulin, sedatives, Tylenol, and Fentanyl. All of which are fascinating to today’s mystery readers.

Since Agatha Christie was a "pick your poison" writer and most likely had fun with it, in many ways, poison became a personality in her stories which is almost a cliché today. But her novels live on due to her well-crafted plots, interesting characters, and realistic descriptions of the toxin's symptoms, which is why she is crowned "The Queen of Crime."

17 comments:

  1. I had not realized (or forgotten) that Christie was a nurse during WWI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun researching her background!

      Delete
  2. I got my introduction to mystery novels swiping my aunt's Agatha Christie books, reading them, and replacing them before she realized they were missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! I loved reading her books!

      Delete
    2. I meant to respond under my name!

      Delete
  3. I'm fond of monkshood as a poison, though I keep an eagle eye out for giant hogweed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still so many poisons today!

      Delete
  4. I always love reading tidbits about Agatha Christie. I'm currently using poison as the method in my sixth Cheese Shop mystery, the first time I've used this to bump off a victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  5. Fun blog. Dame Agatha certainly got around. I used poison (eyedrops) to sicken, but not kill. Those things are deadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! That’s a great way to stop someone.

      Delete
  6. My mystery MURDER A LA CHRISTIE is a tribute to Agatha Christie. One of my characters is poisoned by one of methods you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! I love your books.

      Delete
  7. I do love a good poisoning. Nice post, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Love reading about the various poisons.

      Delete
  8. Lori Roberts HerbstJuly 1, 2024 at 12:13 PM

    So many poisonous methods with which to do the dirty deed! Fabulous post, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Writers are so creative.

      Delete