Thursday, July 4, 2024

Lists of Five for the Fourth of July by Susan Van Kirk


 For many years, I've spent part of the Fourth of July watching the incomparable Jimmy Cagney dance his way through Yankee Doodle Dandy. I never tire of this fabulous story about George M. Cohan and the many patriotic tunes I learned when I was growing up. It's my favorite go-to movie to remind me of this special holiday, and I'll be watching it today. I thought I’d share some movies and books that bring us back to July 4. Maybe they’re part of your lives too.

 

 



Five Books about the 4th

 

My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

1776 by David McCullough

Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis

Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell

 

Five Films about the 4th

 

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Born on the 4th of July

1776

Hamilton

Independence Day

 

Hope you have a wonderful Fourth. What are you doing to celebrate today?

 

 

12 comments:

  1. We'll get together with lake friends later today for a cookouot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you'll have great weather for it, Jim. Happy 4th.

      Delete
  2. I remember when Yankee Doodle Dandy was on TV on Million Dollar Movie. It played every day for a week. We had recently gotten our first TV, and we kids were permitted to watch that pretty much every day. Usually, the TV was reserved for the grownups, usually sports. My dad was a veteran & thought it would be good for us to watch that. My mother was proud of the fact that she'd never let the TV "babysit" her children. Instead, we ran wild and totally unsupervised in the neighborhood, as what I've since heard referred to as "feral children."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. This must be where you get your sense of humor, Kathleen. I, too, remember running the neighborhood with a pack of kids. What a great time.

      Delete
  3. We roamed the neighborhood, too, returning home when the street lights came on. My husband is running the local 10K and we'll walk down to see the local fireworks tonight, which are at 10pm (it's not really dark until then).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll cross my fingers, Margaret, that you have great weather for the fireworks!

      Delete
  4. Happy 4th! Cookout for us, weather willing 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be willing, Kait! Have a great celebration.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely nothing! Of course, there is a lake excursion near the end of the week and Joel and I beat the crowd and did BBQ the other night but today is going to be heavenly quiet. (I even slept in). Reading Kathleen's comment, I hadn't thought about million dollar movie in years......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Debra. This is the perfect day to relax and settle in. I don't remember million dollar movies, but I sure love "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

      Delete
  6. A picnic in the pouring rain! But we were in our screen tent and have a great big umbrella for walking between the house and the tent. After the rain it turned into a gorgeous afternoon. Happy 4th of July, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. I'm glad you managed to stay dry!

      Delete