Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Katherine Center: A Model for Conducting an Author Presentation

by Paula Gail Benson

Katherine Center

Until she came to my local Barnes & Noble, I had not heard of Katherine Center. As I was leaving one Saturday, I was intrigued by the sandwich billboard at the store’s entrance that announced her visit the next day. From my car, I called to learn I needed to buy a book and get a wrist band the night before the event to be seated.

I returned to the store, made my purchase, and googled her. Her website prominently featured the Bookpage quote: “Katherine Center is the reigning queen of comfort reads.” A reader review from Melissa proclaimed: “If you’re not reading Katherine Center, you’re not living your best life.”

Wow. Impressive.

I learned two of Katherine’s books had been developed as Netflix films. One of them, Happiness for Beginners, was available to view, so I watched it. The story was about Helen, a divorcee, who went on a wilderness survival adventure and unexpectedly found her brother’s roommate also on the trip. Delightfully funny, a charming rom-com. I looked forward to seeing Katherine in person.

To get a seat, I arrived a half hour early. I was surprised to see Katherine already in front of the group asking questions and telling stories. As the chairs filled, I heard people talking. They had come from areas ninety minutes to two hours away. Some had followed her from a previous appearance on her tour with her latest novel The Rom-Commers, about an aspiring screenwriter hired to fix a veteran writer’s bad script. Two sisters, both teachers, sat in front of me talking about how much they loved Katherine’s books and planned to spend their summer reading them. Once the time for the presentation came, Katherine spoke for at least an hour and a half before beginning to sign books (which was handled efficiently by the B&N staff).

Katherine was amazing. I completely understood why all those gathered were devoted to her.

So, what did she do and why should it become the playbook for all author appearances?

First, she arrived early (her tour appearances were spaced to achieve this) and did not sit down the entire time she was there. Not before the official presentation nor during the signings. (In particular, she remained standing during the signings so she could take photos and give hugs.) Her energy was phenomenal, and it fueled the excitement in the room.

Second, she had a great sense of humor, the target of which, for the most part, was herself. She told about, a few days previously, appearing at a church and reading an excerpt from her novel before realizing it ended with a phrase concerning if the sex wasn’t right someone was doing something wrong. Embarrassed, she looked at the minister, who assured her there was no problem with what she read. She actually read the same passage for us.

Which brings us to three, if you do a reading, make it lively and short. She chose well because the scene highlighted the two main characters and made readers want to know more.

Four, approach the experience as if you’ve been invited to someone’s home. Be on your very best behavior, which includes being kind, courteous, and grateful.

Five, embrace your readers. Recognize that they have spent hours with you and your characters and let them know you appreciate them.

At this point, I have stocked up on Katherine Center’s books and advise you to do the same. I agree with her reader, Melissa, if you’re not reading her, you are not living your best life.

Has an author’s personal appearance ever left you as a new fan?
Me with Katherine Center


6 comments:

  1. What a great example to set. She loves her writing, loves her books, and loves her readers. And it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check out her books. Last summer I attended Heather Webber's signing at a local bookstore. She was friendly, chatty, and willing to sign the twenty used books someone brought in a shopping bag. Wow! And she welcomed me to the Cincinnati writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pat myself on my back and acknowledge I follow the same approach as Katherine Center with one exception: people don't have to buy my books and get wrist bands to attend. Should I ever become popular, I think it is a great sales technique--it provides a sense of urgency and fear-of-missing-out in potential buyers assures sales for the venue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I’m going to look for Katherine Center books. This sounds like someone you’d want for a favorite author AND a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like a great example for authors doing an appearance. Thanks for bringing these suggestions to our attention.

    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met Rhys Bowen when she was appearing as part of a panel of mystery writers at a local bookstore.
    After the presentation I went over to speak to her, she was funny and charming.
    When I told her that I had a friend who was a fan of hers but couldn’t be there that evening, she offered to autograph a bookmark for my friend. My friend was thrilled to get it and actually had it framed.

    ReplyDelete