Sunday, July 21, 2024

Sinister Summer Listening: True Crime Podcasts by Sarah E. Burr

I’m always listening to a true crime podcast. Whether I’m cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, driving, or walking the dog, I’m tuned into crime. It helps me with my writing, as I’ve learned so much about police procedures and the current technology out there helping law enforcement to solve crimes. To expand my horizons a bit more this summer, I’ve branched out beyond my usual Crime Junkie, Dateline, and Anatomy of Murder binges (although I very much still listen to them). I’ve been searching for different perspectives and presentations of true crime, and in doing so, I’ve come across some really interesting shows. I wanted to share them with you in case you want to explore the world of true crime.


Dateline True Crime Weekly: This is my new favorite podcast. True Crime Weekly keeps me up to date with the goings on in the world of true crime. Each Friday, host Andrea Canning syncs up with Dateline producers to talk about updates in current cases and trials happening across the country. Through this, I’ve followed Karen Read’s trial and other current events, like the Gilgo Beach Killer, Scott Peterson’s appeal with the Innocence Project, and “Mommy Doomsday.” It’s also very short, running about twenty minutes or less.

Drowning Creek: As an engaged true crime consumer, I feel conflicted whenever I listen to this podcast. The premise of Drowning Creek is that the disappearance of eighteen-year-old Justin Gaines is all but solved. The only reason there hasn’t been an arrest is because the police have a confession, yet no body. However, the person who confessed to Justin’s murder has since recanted his claim and said he was coerced. Now, I’ve listened to enough podcasts to know false confessions happen a shocking number of times. What gets me about this podcast is that the host (who isn’t new to the genre) finds the idea of someone giving a false confession ridiculous. He repeatedly comments along the lines of “Who does that?” Actually, a lot of people do. According to researcher Jerome Skolnick in Above the Law: Police and the Excessive Use of Force, more than six thousand false confessions occur annually in the United States. So, for this show’s host to dismiss the idea really gets under my skin and has made me listen to this limited series with my devil’s advocate hat on. It makes for a different listening experience, which is why I’m recommending it.

Park Predators: Host Delia D’Ambra highlights crimes committed in national parks worldwide. With all the outdoor activities summer brings, Park Predators is a sobering reminder that evil can strike in even the most scenic of places. Not only does Delia share insight into these outdoor crimes, but she also reminds listeners how they can protect themselves while enjoying these majestic landscapes. Through this podcast, I’ve gotten to “visit” some beautiful parks, too, which is an added benefit.

Under the Cover of Knight: This is such a unique podcast; it’s almost hard to describe. I’d say it’s a mix between true crime and slice-of-life. It's an odd combo, but it really works well. Under the Cover of Knight dives into the perplexing life and death of Susan Knight. Susan may have been just an ordinary individual living in a small Texas town…or she could have been a spy. With dozens of interviews with people who “knew Susan best,” the listener begins to wonder whether anyone really knew this woman at all. I have my own theory of what happened to her, which is completely overlooked by the investigative team because (in my opinion) they were too trusting of their sources. I highly recommend this story and would love to hear about your own conclusions!

Cold Blooded: Investigative journalist and host Scott Weinberger is one of my favorite podcasters out there in the industry. His background as a deputy sheriff and reporter provides a unique perspective to all his shows (he also cohosts Anatomy of Murder, my all-time favorite podcast). In this limited series, Scott and Detective Danny Smith (who should be given some type of accolade for being one of the best detectives I’ve come across in true crime) share their reinvestigation into the murder of Miami firefighter Billy Halpern. Cold Blooded listens like a movie happening in real time. It has everything from gangsters to car chases to drug rings to interrogations with felons. This will definitely get your heart pumping!

 

All of these shows are available wherever you get your podcasts. Do you have any recommendations for me?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great ideas! Can't wait to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried listening to them.
    Would I end up oversaturated? For the years I worked in a prison, I didn't write any crime fiction, and I pretty much stopped reading it. Somehow, after hearing a tearful story about how someone who worked for me (and I liked) about how he killed his sister, fiction lost its appeal.

    However, I have been dabbling in podcasts. I have a few stories that have been produced in both King's River Life and Murders to Die For. Recently, I was pleased to be interviewed for House of Mystery Radio on NBC along with others who have stories in Larceny and Last Chances.

    Here's a link to my section of the interview: https://shows.acast.com/houseofmysteryradio/episodes/km-rockwood-larceny-last-chances-22-stories-of-mystery-suspe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them as a tool for my writing, as they help me understand police procedures. Listening with a learning ear helps me deal with the cruelty humans do to one another.

      Delete
  3. Need to figure out how to listen to podcasts. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a podcast listener. Sometimes it’s just impossible to get away from the stories when there is a high profile case on trial.
    I live in the Boston area and the Karen Read case was being broadcast live.
    I didn’t pay much attention to the whole case as it originally evolved, but many people were obsessed with following it and even standing outside the courthouse with signs voicing their support for her. Plus constant daily reports on both local radio and tv.
    I live in the same county where the case was tried and had been called for jury duty about the same time as the jury pool was being assembled.
    I have been called in the past and did serve on one trial, but circumstances prevented me from going this time.
    I’ve wondered whether I might have been involved in the trial if I had been able to go.
    Although it ended in a hung jury it is still in the news almost every day because of new information being given to the defense by some of the jurors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot about Karen Read's case through the Dateline True Crime Weekly podcast. Being informed about the current goings on was interesting.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your list of real crime podcasts, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting list of podcasts, Sarah. Dateline True Crime is my "go to" podcast. Ironically, it has never given me an idea for a short story or blog post. The plot lines always seem so farfetched or convoluted, which I am sure is the point - sensational entertainment. When I was still living in Minnesota, in 1989, the Jacob Wetterling disappearance (on my birth date - so it stuck with me) was a tragic mystery and influenced my interest in writing murder mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Dateline -- I've learned so much about the world of police procedure, and that's what makes it into my writing.

      Delete