Thursday, July 25, 2024

How Long Does It Take to Write a Novel? by Connie Berry

 



One of the questions I’m frequently asked is “How long does it take to write a novel?” I could answer “Ten years,” because that’s how long I tinkered with my debut mystery, A Dream of Death, before it appeared in print. 

True confession: I’m a serial reviser. Without a deadline, I could revise a book until the Second Coming. If possible, I’d follow my readers home from the bookstore with a red pencil. But now I have deadlines. The problem is telling my publisher how long I realistically need to finish a manuscript.

Some writers can turn out two or even three mysteries a year. I’m amazed by that because that kind of discipline has never been my gift. I usually think in terms of a year per novel. To me, that’s ideal—but not always possible. I published my first two mysteries in 2019 because when I got my contract, I had one finished manuscript and another partially complete. I  wouldn’t do that again because the two novels competed against each other for publicity and awards, and a debut novel always garners the most attention. Publishing two books in one year also meant I had absolutely nothing out in 2020. I felt like there was a party going on and I hadn’t received an invitation.

Publishers have schedules, and getting a book to your editor in time to make a deadline might mean shortening the writing process. Is that possible? I ask myself. Would it be better to take my time to produce the best book I can write—or should I buckle down, get my butt in that chair, and make the deadline, trusting that my skills, though rushed, won't leave me?

I wish I had answers! What advice would you give?

How long does it take you to write a novel? Have you ever been rushed by a deadline? 

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Connie. I do well to get one book a year out. I applaud writers who do more than one series at the same time. But I have to say I enjoy being retired too, so I have to balance those two things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At most one book a year for me because I have other things I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about revising ad nauseum. I don't even like to read my own work once it's published because I keep thinking, "Now why didn't I say this instead of that?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hard question, Connie, with so many variables. I can write one in three months. Do I like that? NO!!! And don't plan to ever be in the position of doing that again. I can write one in six months. Do I like that? Not really, and I don't plan to do that again, either. A comfortable time frame is nine to twelve months. That's where I am now and it's feeling really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie, it’s a moveable feast. When I was traditionally published, I was also working full time, often twelve-hour days. My contract called for a book every nine months. In the afterglow of a newly signed contract, I had NO idea how unworkable that schedule would turn out to be. These days it still varies. No Return, the first in a new series had taken eighteen months and is just now out for edits.
    Hang in there, Connie. No matter how long it takes, your books are worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete