Tuesday, July 2, 2024

My Vacation and its Aftermath


By James M. Jackson



I retired more than twenty-two years ago. Why, you may wonder, am I talking about my vacation? Although I retired from my work as a consulting actuary in 2002, I have an author’s business that keeps me busy. But I would argue that even if I did not have that business, I would still need and take vacations.

I can become a creature of my habits. Good habits, like exercising, have strong benefits. But even good habits can leave me feeling bored. Worse, I may become stuck in an outdated or pernicious rut without knowing it. Not varying training leads to overworking some muscles and leaving others to atrophy. The same happens with brain work. Skills can dull or atrophy if not challenged the right way.

What does that have to do with a vacation?

Most of my recent vacations have involved travel. That, perforce, requires changes in my daily routines. I see and learn new things. Plus, I commit to leaving all work at home. I’ll check email to make sure nothing has blown up, and peruse Facebook to keep in touch with friends, but I respond to work communication only if that response cannot wait for my return.

During our June vacation to Croatia and Slovenia, I used my downtime to allow my subconscious to bring to the surface ideas or concerns I may not have otherwise focused on. That included cogitating on how to prioritize my work choices for the next eighteen months.

In the day-to-day press of life, I often respond to “urgent” work needs and ignore long-term objectives. Spending thinking time with no urgencies getting in the way is my equivalent to climbing to the mountain top and “seeing the forest for the trees.” There are so many things I would like to do that I cannot accomplish them all, no matter how many hours I commit or how efficiently I work. That’s one of the great blessings of being an inquisitive creative: I always have mountains to climb, gorges to explore, oceans to sail.

Broadly considering my work, I prioritize commitments I have made that I cannot change, then come projects that either bring me the most joy or expand my capabilities. If something does not fit at least one of those three categories, I put it aside. If the list is still too long, I prioritize, giving preference to those that encompass more than one category.

The list is always too long.

I consider that a healthy sign. If I ever have more time than projects, it will be time to polish my obit.

I’m curious, how do you choose how to spend your time?

* * *

James M. Jackson authors the Seamus McCree series. Full of mystery and suspense, these thrillers explore financial crimes, family relationships, and what happens when they mix. To learn more information about Jim and his books, check out his website, https://jamesmjackson.com. You can sign up for his newsletter (and get to read a free Seamus McCree short story).


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got it worked out. Prioritizing is important, and one of those priorities has to be "down time." Otherwise everything becomes frenetic and chaotic, which is no way to live. Or get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, most of my time is spent writing. Lately, too much of my time has been spent dealing with all the headaches surrounding my husband's upcoming retirement. Jim, I know you enjoy yours, but I have not been enjoying the prep and paperwork.

    Vacations are on hold for now because one of us has to stay home to give Kensi her heart pills twice a day, and my trusted kitty sitter moved away...and probably couldn't deal with pilling a cat anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall with no fondness pilling one of our cats. It required wrapping her in a towel and trying to avoid getting bitten! In comparison, the retirement paperwork should be a breeze, even if a pain in the butt. Hopefully when retirement comes it will all be worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. I filled my creative well on Sunday, attending La Traviata at the Cincinnati Opera. I still hear the arias in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that opera house, even though I'm not a super fan of operas themselves.

      Delete
  4. Debra H. GoldsteinJuly 2, 2024 at 9:32 AM

    In the past, between work, writing, and family, my schedule was rigid. Now, I try to balance my time to allow for recharging and being human. The days race by and the writing isn’t prioritized as much ( probably because there isn’t a contract deadline vs submission deadlines ( short story) that I can pick and choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for being human is useful, but often neglected when people prioritize.

      Delete
  5. Since I retired, I’ve found I still work on a similar schedule, but instead of reporting to others, I’m the boss, and quite the task maker! My typical day includes six to eight hours in my office working on writing related projects. I take an hour every day to exercise, and in good weather, grab the dog for a game of fetch or a run-he’s a little guy, so no long runs for him. After work its time to catch up on reading or hobbies (I will finish that sweater, some day) and movies with hubs. All in all, life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice that life is good when you are in charge of its construction!

    ReplyDelete