Monday, May 13, 2024

The Ups and Downs of #AuthorLife

by Shari Randall

Authors find many events to celebrate on the writing journey. Just a few days ago fellow Writer Who Kills Lisa Malice wrote about being a debut author. Debuts are definitely worth celebrating as well as publication days AKA “book birthdays,” signing a contract, and publishing a new story in a fun anthology. If we’re lucky, also we celebrate nominations and awards and being named to "best of" lists. 

We don’t mention it as much but I think we should celebrate a book or story simply being written. So many people have told me that their dream is to write a book. Writing a book or story isn’t easy – it’s hard to find the time, hard to make the time, hard to start, hard to keep going, hard to finish, hard to edit. Hard – goodness knows – to rewrite it!

 

So I try to keep that in mind and celebrate each step. With every publishing milestone, I stop and think to myself “#authorlife.” Coffee with an editor. Yes, #author life! Typing THE END on a manuscript - #authorlife! It’s my way of stopping to savor, to smell the roses, of this crazy turn my life has taken.

 

That brings me to the less sunny milestones of #authorlife. Series cancellations. Short stories that turned out to be novels and vice versa. Losing beloved editors. Rejections.  

 

I recently passed one of those less-than-sunny milestones - having a series drop out of print.

 

Giving author talks at libraries is one of my favorite parts of #authorlife, and they often include the opportunity to sell books. I needed some copies of my first book, CURSES, BOILED AGAIN, so I ordered some from an online bookseller.

 

The next day I received an email from the bookseller. “Sorry, it’s OOP.”

I wrote back, “OOP?”

“Out Of Print.”

Oh.

That sound you heard was my heart dropping off a cliff. My beloved first novel – out of print. It felt like all my characters had been swept off a beach in a tsunami, without a chance for me to say a proper farewell.

 

Gone.


Well, I was naïve, and honestly, not paying attention. The book was released in 2018. Books that don’t sell a certain threshold go out of print, especially books that were published six years ago, an eon in the publishing business.

 

What to do? Simply wish my characters RIP? Or…..another adventure in #authorlife?

 

I decided to get my rights back, revive the series, and publish it myself. I'm working with a wonderful artist on designs for new covers. A fresh look. I couldn’t let my characters go, and I hope the new covers will entice new readers.

 

I’ll be self-publishing them, so that's another stop on the road called #authorlife. Wish me luck.

 

How do you cope with the ups and downs of writer’s life?


Shari Randall is the author of the soon to be revived Lobster Shack Mystery series. As Meri Allen, she writes the Ice Cream Shop Mystery series, which is still in print and available wherever books are sold  (thank goodness!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are giving those characters a new life! But sorry about the milestone along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mark! I'm looking forward to the next steps. The bumps are all part of the ride!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, Shari. But thank goodness self publishing is now a viable option. At least you're able to get your rights back. My backlist is with a POD publisher (so never OOP), and as much as I'd love to get the rights back to them, I can't. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say, I don't have the energy for the battle that would ensue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rights business is such a headache! I was totally surprised that I got mine back - I expected a battle. I keep hoping it wasn't a mistake that someone made and that they'll somehow change their minds.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Yeah, that sounds like me.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get your rights back so your story can live in new clothing and find more readers. Best of luck with your self-publishing jouirney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jim. Seeing how other authors have self-published with such good results (definitely thinking of present company) has inspired me to try it.

      Delete
  4. Good for you to take back your rights & republish your first books. (I love the title, but I think you can do better with covers from that series.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KM, you have hit the nail on the head. Booksellers told me that the covers were confusing. My dentist would always introduce me with a hearty "she writes great books for children!" We all know, yes, we do judge books by their covers. Hoping my new covers will do the trick.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to new covers for a fun series. And on you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret! Although I thought my covers were very well done, booksellers said they were confusing. My wish for every author friend is that they get covers they adore!

      Delete
  6. Hugs! I have to confess, I was thrilled when my first series went out of print. It heralded the return of my rights and I was able to reprint the series! So glad you will be self-pubbing your first series, too. Does this mean we can look forward to additional books?

    I generally celebrate THE END, the end of the edits, the successful upload, and launch day by buying a bottle of my favorite Pinot Noir. I don’t drink much, so that about covers the year, but it gives me a special feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kait, someday we have to share a bottle of pinot noir! Even with all the ups and downs, we have a lot to celebrate.

      Delete
  7. AuthorLife#! It's crazy, isn't it? You're doing it right, though, Shari. Not only can you bring characters and stories to life, but you can bring them back to life! There may be OOPs along the way, but knowing how to brush them off is a great skill. Let us know when the new editions go live and we'll help you celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly! That's my philosophy - brush it off and keep going!

      Delete
  8. How disheartening to find your book out of print. That's one advantage of having your book print on demand. Good luck on getting your books out there again. They are definitely worthy of being reprinted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 13, 2024 at 11:45 AM

    Sorry for your discovery, but so excited for the new journey! Let us know when they're ready, and I'll promote the heck out of them. I absolutely love that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you are such a doll! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 13, 2024 at 1:05 PM

    The ups and downs are so frustrating. More options today make it viable to keep a series going -- but what really helps is having the support of other writers and fans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is me jumping up and down in excitement that you are republishing the series! And my fingers are crossed that there might potentially be more books in the series? This is one of my favorite cozy series that I recently discovered!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to helping with the shiny new relaunch in whatever way I can!

    ReplyDelete