Wednesday, May 1, 2024

An Interview With Linda Reilly

by Grace Topping

 

This past weekend, I attended the Malice Domestic Convention, the world’s largest gathering of traditional and cozy mystery fans and writers. It was at Malice many years ago that I met cozy mystery author Linda Reilly. Since then, I have enjoyed her mysteries and followed her series. Sadly, Linda wasn’t at Malice this year, but by the magic of email, she brought me up to date on what’s happening with her and answered my questions about the latest book in her Grilled Cheese Mystery Series, Brie Careful What You Wish For. 

 

 

Brie Careful What You Wish For

 


With the summer heat sizzling, grilled cheese restaurant owner Carly Hale is thrilled to have Ross Baxter delivering her sandwiches to local seniors. She's never met a more polite or hardworking young man, so she brushes it off when one of her more difficult customers complains about him. But when Ross returns to the woman's home to deliver her lunch and finds her dead body, he immediately becomes the prime suspect in her murder.


Carly soon learns that the victim had an estranged stepson and stepdaughter, both of whom needed money to get their lives back on track. Worse still, in her younger days the dead woman had a reputation for preying on other women's husbands, leaving broken marriages in her wake—and a list of suspects a mile long. But Ross's fingerprints were found on the murder weapon, leaving Carly hungry for any clue she can uncover to prove his innocence. Until she comes face-to-face with the killer, and realizes this time she may have bitten off more than she can chew . . .

                                                                                           www.lindareillyauthor.com



Welcome to Writers Who Kill, Linda.

 

What inspired you to write a series focused on murder and grilled cheese sandwiches?

 

Grilled cheese sandwiches have always been one of my primary comfort foods. As a kid, I was the pickiest eater on earth—I survived mostly on peanut butter sandwiches and grilled cheese. One day, when I was in second grade, my mom—bless her—made me a grilled cheese to bring to school with me. She grilled it and wrapped it in foil, hoping it would still be warm by lunchtime. Not only was it cold—it was soggy! I ate it, but it was pretty much a failed experiment. But I gave Mom a world of credit for trying.

 

Combining (fictional) murder with grilled cheese in a cozy mystery setting was a natural way for me to write about what I love best.

 

After writing four books in the Grilled Cheese Mystery series and including recipes in each book, has it become hard to find new combinations to include in future books? Where do you find new recipes? 

 

The recipes are always a challenge (in real life I’m not much of a chef), but grilled cheese is a food that lends itself to all sorts of combinations. As Carly says, “there’s no wrong way to make a grilled cheese!” Choose your bread, choose your cheese, and design your own version. You might just create magic.

 

Do you try all of the recipes yourself? Do fans ever send you recipes?

 

I do try all the recipes myself—except for the “Farmhouse Cheddar Sleeps With the Fishes.” That one’s your basic tuna melt, and I do not like fish. Fans have suggested ideas for recipes, but not actual recipes. The next book takes place during the Christmas season. I’m working on two recipes for grilled cheese sandwiches, both with holiday overtones—one of which might be made with (gulp) fruitcake. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them!

 

Does Carly’s Grilled Cheese Eatery serve anything other than grilled cheese sandwiches?

 

When Carly first opened, it was grilled cheese varieties and tomato soup, with sides of chips and pickles. Very basic. But some customers wanted a healthy side, so her grill cook and aspiring chef, Grant Robinson, created a salad made from field greens, crumbled goat cheese, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. With his special blend of dressing, it’s become an eatery favorite.

 

Of the sandwich recipes you’ve tried, do you have a favorite? Is there one your readers have most enjoyed? Dare I ask if there was one that readers didn’t like?

 

It’s hard to pin down my favorite, but Carly’s “Party Havarti” is high on the list. Havarti is a buttery, creamy cheese that makes a delectable sandwich. Carly uses sourdough bread to make hers, but any other bread can be substituted. In the series, Carly buys her bread from an artisan baker that mills the flour for their breads in their own stone mill.

 

A few readers have written to tell me how much they enjoyed testing the recipes, but I honestly can’t recall which ones were favorites. So far, no one’s claimed to have disliked one of the recipes.

 

The titles of your books are clever and rely on puns. Is it a challenge coming up with them?

 

In the Grilled Cheese series, the credit for the first three “punny” titles goes to the creative minds at Poisoned Pen Press. They were supportive, encouraging, and a joy to work with. The title for the most recent installment, Brie Careful What You Wish For, was suggested by one of my favorite readers. She is mentioned in the acknowledgements, and I am forever grateful to her.

 

You’ve also written the Deep Fried Mysteries, the Cat Lady Mysteries, and an Apple Mariani Mystery. Has it been hard to stop writing a series, or do you find after several books in a series you are ready to move on to another one?

 

Ending a series is hard when it’s the publisher’s choice and not your own. I’d have liked to continue the Deep Fried series for at least another two books, but Berkley discontinued it after three books. With Kensington Lyrical, I was fortunate enough to have five Cat Lady mysteries published. I was satisfied with that. I have toyed with ideas for a new series, but since my aging brain can only focus on one series at a time, it will have to be shelved until I can devote my full attention to it.

 

Do you have a favorite among your series?

 

Without a doubt, it’s the Grilled Cheese series. When I floated the idea to my agent, she thought it was a perfect concept for a cozy mystery, so it helped that I had her full support. Writing it brought me back to those childhood days when a grilled cheese always brought a smile to my face.

 

You only wrote one Apple Mariani Mystery—I presume because Five Star Publishing stopped publishing mysteries. Do you think you will ever pick that series up again?

 

I contemplated writing a follow-up mystery to Some Enchanted Murder, but the ideas weren’t flowing as readily as I’d hoped. In the meantime, I’d contracted with a larger publisher for the first three Deep Fried mysteries. At the time I had a demanding full-time job, so the new series was all I could handle. Apple Mariani’s character was truly special to me, but I don’t see myself trying to pick up the series so long after the first book was published.

 

What’s the most valuable thing you’ve learned since you first started writing?

 

It’s hard to narrow it down, but I’ve learned that the friendships I’ve made in the writing community are invaluable. I’m constantly humbled and honored by the support my fellow authors, and my readers, show me every day. It lifts my spirits and makes me want to hit the keyboard running!

 

What’s next for Carly Hale and the folks at Carly’s Grilled Cheese Eatery?

 

For starters, a new home for Carly and a wedding to plan. At thirty-three years old, she’ll be forced to make some serious decisions about having a family. Her newest employee might be harboring a secret. The publisher of the local free paper, until now a “lone wolf,” might have someone special stroll into his life. Without a crystal ball I can’t predict their futures, but I’m excited about taking the ride with them and seeing how it all turns out!

 

I want to thank Grace and all the authors at Writers Who Kill for giving me the opportunity to chat about myself and introduce my books.

 

Thank you, Linda. It was a pleasure catching up with you. I hope you will be at Malice next year.

 

 

You can learn more about Linda Reilly and her books at www.lindareillyauthor.com.

 

 

Grace Topping is the author of the Laura Bishop Mystery Series.

 

 

25 comments:

  1. Welcome to WWK, Linda. I'm with you that grilled cheese is a comfort food, especially when dunked in tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. I'm delighted to be here!

      Delete
  2. Linda's books are just as wonderful as her clever titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say -- you've made my day!

      Delete
  3. I'm a grilled cheese fan, too, cheddar and mozzarella inside and coated with parmesan on the outside. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Coating the outside with parmesan makes the bread deliciously crispy.

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited there will be more Grilled Cheese Mysteries!! And I also hope to see you at Malice next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see you too, Meezan. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. Delighted to have you here, Linda! I so enjoyed spending time with you at Malice a few years ago and hope our paths cross again soon. I enjoy your Grilled Cheese series and am glad to hear there will be more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shari. I do hope we'll be able to spend time together again.

      Delete
  6. You had me at Brie. Thanks for the great interview and introduction to your series, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Molly! I feel honored to be here.

      Delete
  7. I just LOVE all your amazing titles, Linda. So punny!! Congratulations on "Brie Careful What You Wish For"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Titles can be so much fun!

      Delete
  8. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 1, 2024 at 11:53 AM

    Love Linda's books! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I enjoyed Grace's interview questions!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for joining us today, Linda. It's always a pleasure catching up with you.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I should be thanking you for this opportunity. I so enjoyed being a guest today!

      Delete
  10. Maybe I'm cheese-biased, but I love Linda's Grilled Cheese mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese-biased is fine by me! Thank you for all the support, Korina ~

      Delete
  11. What a delightful interview! Grilled cheese is a favorite of mine. I need to check out this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kait. You can never go wrong with a grilled cheese ~

      Delete
  12. Great interview! Linda writes amazing stories. I'm excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is high praise coming from you, Susan. You have always inspired me in my writing journey.

      Delete
  13. I just binge read the Cat Lady series and enjoyed it very much. Almost disappointed that the fifth book was the last.

    Will start the Grilled Cheese series next. That's my favorite sandwich!

    ReplyDelete