Monday, May 20, 2024

The Pace is Changing - Maybe

The Pace is Changing – Maybe – by Debra H. Goldstein

Recently, I received a birthday card which pictured three people sitting at a fancy dinner party. Above the picture, the caption read: “When we were young, we’d sneak out of our house to go to parties…” Below the picture were the words: “Now we sneak out of parties to go home.” Admitting to myself the truth of this card, I chuckled.

As I write this, I’m still recovering from back surgery that precluded my attendance at many of the conferences I usually attend. I told myself not going was okay because I didn’t have a new book to promote; and, although several of my short stories are slated for publication, they won’t be out until after the current conferences. I consoled myself that I could follow the events respecting the conferences I missed through the posts and pictures friends put on Facebook.

Although I enjoyed the posts, seeing everyone’s fun secondhand was bittersweet. Then, I came upon a post that made me think for a moment. It was put up by a writer I know well and very much admire. The point it made was that the author played hooky from many of the panels and honoree interviews to duck out to explore the host city, have long lunches and dinners with friends, or simply chill with a glass of wine in her room. She noted she still had a great time, but she didn’t feel the need to spend every moment at the high pitch of energy she had done when she was a new author. 

Her comments made me think about some of the behaviors of more established writers that I’d observed at conferences. Many would not be seen for long stretches during the day, or I’d observe them returning late from what had obviously been a dinner with their contemporaries. My past observations and her post made me think about how the birthday card’s message applied to authors. Was it a matter of age? Tied to their having built a following, albeit maybe not a giant one? Being comfortable in one’s own skin? 

It made me contemplate my friends and the goals we’ve recently been sharing with each other. What is it we now want from our careers? 

As I’ve posed the question to people, their joking response is often “money and a New York Times bestseller,” but after laughing, many indicate they are happy where their careers are. They have books they can hold in their hands, they sign autographs, and while they want to write the next breakout novel, most are happy to follow the same trajectory they already are on. A few are beginning to question whether they want to continue writing. They’ve enjoyed the party atmosphere of becoming an author but after assessing the up and down elements of the publishing business, they wonder if sneaking out and going home might sound good. They fear that their writing is predictable, their ideas stale or non-existent, and their desire to be tied to their computers minimal.

Are these passing thoughts or the natural evolution of a writing career? As writers, what do you think? As readers, can you see this dilemma somewhat reflected as you peruse new books and stories by authors you admire?

 

17 comments:

  1. I suspect there is a natural progression from everything-is-new-and-exciting to seasoned-veteran regardless of what field or hobby we look at. And for many of us, we are well past "normal" retirement age and nature provides its own natural slowing down. The combination make us pick and choose our activities rather than worry about what we "should" be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 20, 2024 at 9:08 AM

      Jim, your observation about the natural progression in all things and the combination of choosing what we want to do rather than should do is spot on....

      Delete
  2. Due to several "life happens" events (a beloved husband with dementia who needed a full-time caregiver; a congenital heart condition which was helped considerably by surgery--but will never be anything approaching "normal") I have lost considerable momentum. And you know what? I write what I enjoy. I love it when it reaches an audience, but if it doesn't, so what?
    I vicariously enjoy successes that I see others achieve, and of course someday I'm going to write a NYT bestseller, but in the meantime? I'm happy with where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 20, 2024 at 9:09 AM

      I think the expression "keep on truckin'" combined with understanding the reality of the moment help us enjoy where we are in life....and the success rather than jealousy of others.

      Delete
    2. I'm really sorry to hear about the very difficult life events you've been weathering. Your attitude is inspirational.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 20, 2024 at 9:09 AM

      Margaret, that one sentence speaks volumes.

      Delete
  4. There’s a lot in this, Debra. I think it is the natural evolution of a career coupled with the confidence and freedom to act in your own comfort zone. It does seem that a number of successful writers are opting to step back from the fray. I wonder if the disorientation of the COVID shutdown didn’t have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 20, 2024 at 10:36 AM

    Not sure if Covid had an impact on disorientation or resetting of priorities, but it possibly could be part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm the odd man out here. When my beloved agent died last fall, I managed to sign with someone I've known and admired for years, and she wants to take me to the "next level." As I pondered the question she posed of "what do you want in your career?" my husband asked me, "If not now, when?" So, yeah, I'm looking ahead to trying something bigger. My biggest goal, though, is to work smarter, not harder, so count me in on sneaking out of parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 26, 2024 at 10:22 AM

      And you are posed for that next level!

      Delete
  7. Having had a few conversations with you about this, Debra, I know we're on the same page. Covid made a huge difference in my writing life since I don't feel it safe for me these days to go to conferences. But I'm enjoying the writing I'm doing, people are still reading my books, and there is a certain contentment in that. Thanks for writing down what I was thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 20, 2024 at 11:36 AM

    Such a wonderful post, Debra, and so completely on target. The move to Colorado we made (along with my husband's retirement) put a crimp in my writing schedule and made me wonder how to give myself more "free" time while still pursuing the craft and vocation of writing. At 62, I'm still relatively young, but obviously closer to the end of my story than the beginning. I consider quite often how I want to spend the rest of my chapters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 26, 2024 at 10:24 AM

      The interesting thing is that no matter what your age, the plans and goals keep changing.

      Delete
  9. Having been sick these past 5 weeks, I'm happy to stay home and write my 2 WIPs. Career-wise, I'm well past the age of retirement. But then, do writers ever retire? I'm happy to write what I write. While I write mysteries and books for kids, I'm able to explore various themes and aspects of the human condition to my heart's content. I feel so lucky to be a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a thought provoking post, Debra. I like staying in the mix at conferences, because I finally get to spend time with people I rarely or never get to see otherwise. I'm still trying to move my career forward. Financially, I don't have the luxury for writing to be a hobby, so although I get burnt out often, I'm still going full steam ahead... until my NY Times best seller comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 26, 2024 at 10:24 AM

      With your push to write -- when that NYT bestseller is published - I want an autographed copy.

      Delete