Friday, May 3, 2024

Embracing Change, by Lori Roberts Herbst


The most difficult thing is the decision to act; the rest is merely tenacity.”— Amelia Earhart

 

Back when I was a high school teacher and counselor, I used to tell my students that change — even positive change — was stress-inducing. They tended to berate themselves for feeling stressed over changes they had wanted and even chosen. I advised them of the importance of accepting and validating that anxiety so they could move through it and embrace the outcome. That meant giving themselves a little grace.

 

What’s the saying? Physician, heal thyself.

 

Over the past six months, my life has been in an almost constant state of upheaval — positive, chosen upheaval, but still... With my husband’s retirement, purchasing a new-build home in Colorado after residing in the Dallas area for a half century, selling our Texas home, living in a series of AirBNBs for three months, and finally rescuing our “stuff” from storage and contending with the moving-in process (along with all the financial aspects), change seems to have become my normal state of affairs. For someone whose nature is to crave stability, it’s been the equivalent of diving head first into a pressure cooker. (A few times, I’m afraid the resulting steam has scalded my ever-patient husband.)

 

So of course this would be the perfect situation in which to begin a new mystery series, right? Why not ratchet up the stress level by adding a big professional change to all the personal ones?

 

It may not make much sense, but so be it. I’m taking the plunge. After three years of focusing solely on the six-book Callie Cassidy Mystery series, I’ve decided to turn my attention to something fresh. I’m calling it the Seahorse Cove Mysteries, and it will be set in a cruise port town on the coast of Texas. (Can anyone else see the irony of setting the Callie series in Colorado when I lived in Texas and now creating a series set in Texas when I live in Colorado?)

 

I’ll be honest, with all that’s been going on, I haven’t made much progress on the project. (And let’s not even talk about how woefully behind I am on marketing and pr
omotion. My poor website will shudder at my reappearance if I ever get around to updating it…)

 

In my mind, I harbor a broad map of the little port town, and I have the main cast of characters named, as well as a hazy vision of each of them. But any notion of plot development has taken a hiatus. I’m excited (albeit overwhelmed) at the prospect, though. Creating a new world and all the characters who will populate it is exhilarating. And now that I have internet, the excuses have vanished…

 

My plan is to write the first book, then polish, revise, and ready it for publication. Next, I’ll get the first draft of book two complete before publishing book one. I’ve come to the realization that for my own sanity, I need that built-in buffer. Hopefully, that way I won’t feel like I’m scrambling if some life change comes along to derail my carefully constructed writing timeline. That stress, I’ve concluded, I simply don’t want.

 

How do you handle change?

 

GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, released April 23 and is available on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Unlimited, and paperback.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

 

23 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 3, 2024 at 2:05 AM

    I tend to roll with change allowing my intellectual side to control. After the stress period, emotions take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:49 AM

      Good advice. Just press my brain into service over my emotions!

      Delete
  2. I shy away from change as much as I can. Even change I know I want/need, I avoid. The devil you know is better than the potential devil you don't know, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM

      So they say! But I must tell you, this moving change has ended up being good for us. I hope the series change will be, too.

      Delete
  3. Change is inevitable, but that doesn't make it easy. I'm in the midst of some major life changes, too, with my husband's impending retirement. At least we're staying put. Lori, I can't imagine moving after decades in the same house! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:51 AM

      I'll be sending you good vibes, Annette. The moving part was stressful, but I'm really happy to be here in Colorado.

      Delete
  4. I think we make changes when the stress of not making a change outweighs the stress we think we'll feel while making a change. I find it helps to remind myself that a stress-free life means you are dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:52 AM

      Really good point. My go-to lately has been acceptance—the timeline I'd like isn't always the one I'll get...

      Delete
  5. When we move, if I can find the box with the tea kettle and toaster, I consider it a win. And then there's the set of measuring cups that appears and disappears during alternate moves. I start small: one goal a day and then gradually increase the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:55 AM

      It's the little things for sure. When I found my favorite wooden spoon (the one that had belonged to my mother), I was giddy with delight!

      Delete
  6. I remind myself that I have mastered change before, both ones I have desired and initiated, and ones over which I have had no control. Eventually things will settle down, and I will find myself comfortable in a new reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:56 AM

      Oh, such a good way of looking at things. I've mastered it before...love that!

      Delete
  7. How do I handle change? Not well. But I become resolved to it. Glad to see you are seeing the light through the tunnel of boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:56 AM

      Becoming resolved is an important step, isn't it? And yes, most of the boxes are unpacked. Can't wait to discover what goodies await in the few that are left.

      Delete
  8. I admire your ability to get through all the changes you've faced. Anymore, I'm not so good at accepting change, but no one lives without lots of changes in their lives. Just some changes are harder than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:57 AM

      It helps a lot when it's a change I've chosen. As for "admiring my ability," you'd best consult my husband for how "well" I've handled it...lol!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Lori. What fabulous news. Glad you are ready to move into your new home, and your new series sounds fabulous. Looking forward to reading it. For the record, I love change. Find it exhilarating and exciting-I hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 11:59 AM

      Thank you so much, Kait! There is a bit of "exhilarating and exciting" for me in change, but I also love stability. I am feeling so much more settled.

      Delete
  10. After so many moves with my hubby’s military career, I sometimes find myself itching to move again! Enjoy your new home and all the new adventures that will come. And take my advice - use the move as an opportunity to get rid of stuff you don’t want or need anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 3, 2024 at 12:00 PM

      Excellent advice! The worst thing about this move was the timing—it meant I didn't get to Malice this year. I missed seeing you in person!

      Delete
    2. We missed you at Malice.

      Delete
  11. What a terrific move you're making, Lori. Full steam ahead in your new house, new community, and with your new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM

      Thank you, Molly! I'm ready to get started!

      Delete