Thursday, May 2, 2024

The More Things Change...by Susan Van Kirk

 

It is certainly true that “we live in interesting times.” I often wonder if our current lives are surrounded by more violence than other times, or if the news is just superb at reporting seriously ugly, depressing stories. I also muse about how events from the news of our earlier lives affect our current time. When I look back at my Endurance Mysteries, I realize several have a major plot connection involving the past affecting the present day. 


Those points were on my mind as I began researching my fifth Endurance mystery. Jeff Maitlin and Grace Kimball, my main characters, are now living in 2015. However, a totally unexpected event will take Grace back—at least in her memory—to her earlier life in 1981 when she was a young, married woman with small children. Since I’ll be creating Grace’s memories from her earlier life, I decided to check out what was happening in 1981. At that time in my life I was married, teaching high school English, and raising three children ages 9, 5, and 3. It’s a wonder I have any memory of the events of that year whatsoever.

I began researching 1981. Boy, was I wrong. Violent, violent. And with so many events that happened in 1981, we can look in the rearview mirror and realize what they’ve led to today. Time changes, but often connects, everything.

Plane crashes, bombings, murders, serial killers, assassinations, fire fatalities, bank robberies, train wrecks, and nuclear tests—all of those and more happened in 1981. Like Grace, I was raising small children, so the evening news wasn’t even turned on. But I’d like to think I had some idea of what was happening in the world. Besides the violence, as I leafed through the events of 1981, I often thought, “Boy, if we’d only known then what we know now.” Here are only a few of the many, many events that caught my eye as I researched.


Important world figures, as always, were part of that time. Ronald Reagan was inaugurated as our 40th president, and two months later he was shot and wounded. Prince Charles announced his engagement to Lady Diana Spencer, and they married in July. (It seemed like a Cinderella story at the time, didn’t it?) Muhammad Ali fought his last fight and lost against Trevor Berbick.

In the world of music, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison recorded a tribute to John Lennon, who had been murdered the previous December. MTV launched, bringing merriment and mayhem into our lives. Simon and Garfunkel reunited for their Central Park concert in New York City. (Love that album.)

Some interesting, unusual, often happy events occurred in the year 1981. 

First class postage stamps in 
the US rose from fifteen cents to eighteen cents. (It’s about to go up to seventy cents this year.) The US debt topped $1 trillion for the first time. (As I type this, it’s up to $34.5 trillion and rising.) Elizabeth Jordan Carr was the first American test-tube baby born in the world. She was hailed as a miracle. (Currently, IVF is no longer an unusual procedure.) A puzzling story in that year was a mysterious illness that would later be called AIDS. That epidemic officially began when five homosexual men in Los Angeles were diagnosed with a strange, new pneumonia.

So many events beyond these happened in 1981, and I will do more digging and decide which ones might be part of Grace Kimball’s memories from her life with her first husband, Roger. (Shortly after that year, Roger died, leaving Grace a widow until Jeff Maitlin came into her life.)

A book series allows a writer to make these connections between the past and present, just as these events reminded me of current day topics that are still with us even though many of them began in 1981. History has always fascinated me, and researching times for mystery novels is fun, not work.  Jeff and Grace are now happily the proprietors of a bed and breakfast. But, as always, the past will catch up with the present in the next Endurance Mystery.

 

24 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 2, 2024 at 4:08 AM

    Looking forward to seeing which events you settle in for the new book. Agree how many events we forget. I recently wrote a short story, which will be published in 2025, that allowed for submissions covering events during a decade - so many important events occurred as did several fun ones. Weeding them down to find the essence for the story took time. Wishing you well with your weeding for Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, Debra, Dates will be important and also how they fit into the flow of the plot. I found it amazing how many events I'd forgotten, but so many of them connected to the present.

      Delete
  2. Wow. 1981 was definitely more eventful than I remember. I was dating, not yet engaged to, the man who became my husband. And I was still working as an EMT. It's so interesting to do a deep dive into that time in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the research, Annette. I always have fun going backwards in time.

      Delete
  3. One thing that depresses me is that society collectively forgets any history older than about a decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do see a lot of trends when stupidity might have been helped by knowledge.

      Delete
  4. History keeps repeating itself because we don't remember. I know you'll find the perfect combination of events for Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes. We forget.
    Whenever I hear of someone targeting school children, I remember that the highest victim count from deliberate attacks on schools came in 1927 in Bath, MI, and killed 38 children and 6 adults.
    The fire at Our Lady of the Angels school in Boston was not deliberately set, but it did kill 92 students and 3 adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That's farther back than I can remember, Kathleen. I've never understood preying on the smallest members of society. But you are right about the repetition. You'd think we'd learn.

      Delete
    2. I remember the fire at Our Lady of the Angels School. If I recall correctly, it was deliberately set by a janitor who had been fired. That summer, I think every Catholic school in American was renovated to include fire escapes and fire doors. Mine was.

      Delete
    3. You know, I vaguely remember that Grace. What a terrible, terrible thing.

      Delete
  6. A B&B! I hadn't expected that, Susan. Can't wait to read it. I have a tale to tell about Reagan's shooting. I'll write it up in a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the walk through the 80s. I remember that time so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone does, Grace. And you're welcome.

      Delete
  8. I am reminded of Marshall McLuhan’s quote: “We look at the present through a rear view mirror. We march backwards into the future.” The older I get, the more comparisons I can make between then and now. Frightening and humbling at the same time.

    Thank you for a wonderful look back. Raising my hand for someone who got up at o dark thirty to watch Charles and Diana wed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I, too, got up in the middle of the night to watch that wedding. So glad to hear we were in sinc.

      Delete
  9. There's nothing new under the sun, is there, Susan, and our collective memory is inconsistently too long and too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I have any memory of that decade. My kids were all three born in the 70s. But it sure is fun to research it and see what I do remember. And you are right about there being nothing new under the sun, not even mystery plots!

      Delete
  10. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 2, 2024 at 12:19 PM

    Sometimes I'll watch a show (like something on the Unabomber or the Waco cult) and wonder how I remember so little of it. So strange. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, Lori, it is because of the current all-pervasive 24-hour-a-day news. It's hard not to know something about what is happening. I can fondly remember when the television stations went off at midnight and the news was on three times a day. At the risk of showing my age, I believe there are times when I think that might have been better.

      Delete
  11. I too was a young mother in 1981. Such an eventful year. Just grabbed Book 1 in the Endurance series. I see I have some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Then we are contemporaries! And we both survived all those diaper/teeth cutting/split lip/driving all over creation years. Isn't that a wonderful thing to know? Thanks for checking out my series. It has a lot of history in it even though it's a mystery series.

    ReplyDelete