Monday, May 27, 2024

Remembering by Nancy L. Eady

 I hope all of you are having a pleasant Memorial Day.  For years, Mark and I were not able to celebrate the day together.  When he was working for his dad, both before we got married and then again in the 1990’s, the family business was a moving company in Montgomery, Alabama.  At that time, Montgomery was the home to the Air War College, Squadron Officers’ School, Air Command and Staff College and possibly some other military schools.  All the military schools got out towards the end of May, and Memorial Day always fell at the height of the military moving season in town.  Ergo, moving companies in Montgomery did not take Memorial Day off, my dad-in-law’s company included.  Nor did one take vacation either.  So now, when we celebrate Memorial Day off together, I appreciate it.  

In Alabama, Memorial Day is also the unofficial start to summer.  Most of our schools have ended for the year as indicated by the way the traffic is getting lighter and lighter on the way to work.  While schools farther north and possibly west have another month left before they get out, our schools will be back in session by the second week in August or before.  Most businesses around lakes in this region open full-time this weekend, if they haven’t before, and my husband and I noticed the plethora of pleasure boats making tracks across Lake Logan Martin when we crossed it earlier today running errands.  These same pleasure boats were notably absent on previous weekends.  

In years past, before Covid, Memorial Day weekend was also a big movie weekend.  It may still be, but Mark and I didn’t see anything playing at our local cinema that rang our chimes.  Nor have we taken a trip out of town this weekend like we do some years.  To be honest, my workload heated up right after my return from surgery a few weeks ago, so most of this weekend has been spent working on a brief for my law firm.  

But regardless of what I am doing each year on this day, traveling out of town, relaxing at home, or working at home, I take a few minutes to remember those who died while fighting for my freedom and the freedom of my fellow citizens.  Those brave, fallen soldiers include my second cousin, Spc. Charles Robert Lamb, who died in Iraq on September 5, 2004.  I honor them and their families for their service, and their sacrifice.  Which, after all, is the true reason for Memorial Day.  


12 comments:

  1. Great post for a day of remembrance. We remember and are eternally grateful for the service and sacrifice of our military heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our quest to enjoy a long weekend, many forget to pause and consider the reason we have this day of remembrance whose birth came soon after our Civil War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, unfortunately. But there are a lot of us who remember, too.

      Delete
  3. Remembering your cousin as well as family and friends who died in the line of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid it's all too easy for people to turn Memorial Day (I can remember when it used to be called Decoration Day--we decorated the tombs of fallen soldiers) into a barbeque-and-parade fun day and lose sight of the meaning.
    Recent world events tell me that we may have collectively lost the memory of the horrors of war to the military and civilians alike, and are dabbling once more in widespread fighting.
    So many have sacrificed so much over the decades (and centuries.) As we honor those who gave all, I hope we will reflect on what we have lost and what we stand to lose if we don't learn our lessons from history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look at the conflicts around the globe, I get very frightened about the chances of this country once again being drawn into a war. The situation reminds a lot of WWI; it won't take much for the dominos to fall and a global conflict to break out.

      Delete
  5. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 27, 2024 at 2:21 PM

    Thanks for bringing the importance of today to the forefront. Amen.

    ReplyDelete