Saturday, May 4, 2024

A Museum Story by Mary Dutta

On a recent visit to Chicago, somewhere between the Art Institute and the deep-dish pizza, I found time to visit the American Writers Museum.  According to their website, their mission is to “excite audiences about the impact of American writers—past, present, and future—in shaping our collective histories, cultures, identities, and daily lives.” I am happy to say that they are achieving that goal.

To the museum’s credit, their timeline of four hundred years of American writers included a range of voices that reflected the breadth of our national identity and experience. But I was also looking for another form of representation: crime fiction. Genre fiction is not always accorded the same respect as more literary writing, so I was pleased to discover that the museum believed Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett worthy of inclusion. Chester Himes, whose popular Harlem Detective novels featured some of the first African-American protagonists in mystery fiction, also received recognition.

In addition to the timeline, the museum has numerous interactive exhibits. My favorite hands-on display was not the word wall or the multi-user touch tables but rather the table full of manual typewriters. Visitors were encouraged to sit and type out a story, which they could then add to the display of works created by other guests.

After helping a flummoxed twenty-something roll a piece of paper into her typewriter, I moved on to composing my own story. It started out being about how hard it is to type on a manual machine, but ended up a bit more mysterious. I share it here in its entirety, minus the errors introduced by my rusty typing skills:

Once upon a time a typist struggled to free her words. Her fingers lacked the strength to go on. Her story remained trapped inside her. No one would ever know the truth. Maybe it’s better that way. For everyone.

I don’t know how long my creation stayed on display, potentially helping to shape our “collective histories, cultures, identities, and daily lives.” I’m guessing it has since been replaced by other visitors’ tales, and that’s as it should be. Because as the museum itself makes clear, there’s always a new American story to tell.

 

Who would you include in the American Writers Museum?

 

12 comments:

  1. If Anonymous isn't included, they'd get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I've added this to my list for my next Chicago trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Roberts Rinehart and Agatha Christie of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a very American experience--Barbara Neely, with her Blanche White series (even the protagonist's name is tongue-in-cheek.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writer's museum is so much fun! I tapped out a one paragraph story on what used to be my dream machine, an IBM correcting selectric. So clunky, the keyboard so vast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debra H. GoldsteinMay 4, 2024 at 10:04 AM

    Too many to name who could be added. Today, I live on my computer, but on a shelf in my garage, my Smith Corona still sits. It has moved with me from college, home, first apartment, second apartment, and through three houses as a married lady. Someday my kids will stare at it and wonder why I kept it while my grandkids will probably wonder what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh when you had to help the gal put paper into the type writer. They wouldn't know what to do with rabbit ears, they wouldn't even know what the name. Cassette players? Reel-to-reels? Walkman? How about 8-tracks?

    I like Katherine's suggest. Barbara Neely and Walter Mosely taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having taught American Literature, I'd agree there are way too many to choose. However, I'd love to see Emily Dickinson there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori Roberts HerbstMay 4, 2024 at 11:18 AM

    Wonderful story, Mary! I'd add Stephen King. Horror isn't for everyone, but you can't argue with his contributions to American fiction writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is wonderful. I’ve never heard of such a place. I would include syndicated newspaper columns. They were a mainstay of papers in NY. Some were social, some were commentary, some were op-ed. All were interesting and I’m not sure they exist anymore. Been a while since I’ve seen a print paper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so looking forward to visiting the museum, Mary. Thanks for the write up!

    ReplyDelete