Monday, February 19, 2024

Keeping the Brand Alive by Debra H. Goldstein

Quiz:

1) What does an author do before any words are ever published? 

2) When a writer’s book debuts, what is one of the most important things to work at while the book is launching?

3) If an author is between works, what should the writer concentrate on (besides writing something new)?

Answers: 1), 2), and 3) = Branding

There are millions of books being published in all different types of genres, so a writer must distinguish his work or her name from all the others. At any stage of the author’s career, branding is crucial. By definition, branding fixates the type of book, the writer’s name, or the genre the author writes in the public/reader’s brain. 

Some say that people need to see or hear something at least seven times for a brand to resonate in one’s braincells. Does that mean to post or advertise everywhere with a picture of the current book? Most books fade into backlists after six months. So, what means can authors use to advertise themselves – to keep their name in someone’s mind?

At one point, blogs were hot. Giveaways helped. Cute pictures or posts of animals or flowers on Facebook or then, Twitter (X), always reach an audience, but do you remember the cat, dog, flower, or the name of the posting author? Reels, as part of one’s story on Instagram, Facebook, and Tik Tok, are hot now, but do they work better for certain genres? Newsletters are considered successful if 50% of readers open them, but what happens if it is constantly the same loyal readers? 


I blog here, at Writers Who Kill, as well as on The Stiletto Gang, Booklovers Bench (where readers are winners), and my own It’s Not Always a Mystery (which usually features well known or upcoming authors). Do you follow any of them besides this one? 

I also have a monthly newsletter that is easy to sign up for. Go to my website (another means of branding) https://www.debrahgoldstein.com and you’ll find a way to sign up for the newsletter and/or blog, as well as my BookBub site on every page. But, if you scroll down on the right of my website’s Homepage, there’s a bonus for signing up for the newsletter. You can download a free copy of Simple Recipes for the Sometimes Sleuth, a cookbook that Kensington put together of the recipes featured in the Sarah Blair mystery series. Who wouldn’t want a cookbook that includes Jell-O in a Can?


These are all ways that I try to keep my brand alive. Whether you are an author or a reader, what do you think works best?


17 comments:

  1. Lots of good ideas (and reminders). Thanks, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key is trying to remember to do all of them and write.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what works best, but I do agree with the advice to try to own your connection to your readers,. For me that means my Readers Group newsletter is something I will concentrate on. I have those emails, and no corporate giant with their balancsheet in mind can eliminate my ability to reach those readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, your point about ownership is well made - and so important.

      Delete
  3. Makes me tired to think about all those activities that I know I should be doing. More power to everyone who works so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tiring, but even as I look at everything folks on this blog do, it is obvious we all have different areas of branding that we prefer. For example, I am on Pinterest, but I haven't posted there in years -- it isn't my comfort zone.

      Delete
  4. I think it’s tough! Especially if you’re an indie. I do find that consistency helps. I always post something six days a week. Often more than one post on social media. Since I’m expanding my setting venue from Florida to Maine, I’m trying to ease readers into the transition. I have my fingers crossed. I’ll share any erupting epiphanies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is tough, but consistency does help. The key is finding the time and the audience / reader sweet spot. I'll cross my fingers and toes for you as you ease the readers into your new transition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just do what feels right and know that I'm likely getting it wrong most of the time, lol. Since I write the cheese shop series, I started early with my monthly #teamcheese newsletters and readers often comment in social media with that hashtag. We're all #teamcheese members. I get multiple cheese photos, memes, & articles in my SM inboxes every day from readers who say "I thought of you..." I love that whenever they see cheese, they think of me. Whether my branding is spreading to a new audience? I'm not sure, but I feel that everything is a grass roots effort and I see my followers and newsletter lists growing. Plus, with a series, getting loyal readers who stick with you is important. I think being on different blogs and FB groups helps. And making a real connection with readers is the best part of the job. Now, what will I do about my branding when I write something not associated with cheese? Wish me luck with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing everything right - and they will follow you if and when you write something that isn't cheese oriented as you'll coax them into your new area of expertise (but keep others buying cheese books).

      Delete
  7. I always notice that your social media posts have a similarity that is easily recognizable, Debra. You're doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. BTW, I wish I had your touch with CANVA.

      Delete
  8. I'm tracking my social media posts to learn what readers like: travel, poodles, food, gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've named all the hotspots or topics that people gravitate to. The only problem for a writer is if they don't have much to develop in those areas (although they can try to get readers to contribute their pictures and comments).

      Delete
  9. I needed to read this right now. I've really dropped the ball the past few months when it comes to this. Moving and being without a permanent home has made focus a challenge for me. But I need to get back on top of things, and you've given me some guidance and motivation here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get on the bicycle again --- especially now that you have that new book released! Besides, don't beat yourself up. Moving and temporary homes take energy away from other things.

      Delete
  10. Whatever is the key, you do all of those things well. The only thing missing is luck.

    ReplyDelete