Friday, February 2, 2024

Livin' the Indie Life, by Lori Roberts Herbst

Some years back, telling people you were self-published elicited an eyeroll and a cluck of the tongue. It meant you’d paid a handsome sum to a vanity press for printed copies of some frivolous pursuit—a banal memoir, perhaps, or a poorly written melodramatic romance.

 

It certainly wouldn’t qualify you as a “real author.”

 

That attitude is changing. Though some people may still harbor residual wariness, the numbers are diminishing. As self-published authors continue to create high-quality books, paying attention to editing, cover design, and compelling storylines, respect for their work continues to grow. In fact, many readers no longer discriminate between traditionally published and indie published books. They simply look for a story they want to read and judge it from there.

 

As a writer, it’s a pleasure to be working at a time in which I am able to choose the direction of my journey based on personal preference—my strengths and limitations, my personality, my style—rather than being steered onto a prescribed path. 

 

I was in my fifties when I started writing for publication. My age played heavily in my decision to self-publish. Traditional publishing tends to be a slower paced process, and I wanted to push forward more rapidly.

 

Another factor in my decision involved control. I have always functioned best in situations that allow for my autonomy. Indie publishing gives me the freedom to choose my cover designs, my editor, my release timeline. I can decide for myself how many books I want to write in a series and when it’s time to move on.

 

My personal situation also lends itself to a self-publishing path. I am retired from my full-time job, which means I have more time—time that can be divided between the writing and the business facets. Additionally, my former career as a newspaper and yearbook adviser gave me a foundation in marketing and promotion, as well as a familiarity with the technical aspects of book creation.

 

Of course, publishing indie comes with some downsides, too. Self-published books are still excluded from a number of award competitions. Financially, no one gives indie authors advances. We must foot the bill for editing, covers, and all other costs of publishing our books. (Of course, we do keep a larger percentage of royalties, which helps balance the ledger.) Inexperience in the field and lack of contacts, at least initially, can be a huge obstacle. (The abundance of quality resources helps offset that particular pitfall, though.) Juggling everything can sometimes feel overwhelming. There is just So Much Learning Curve.

 

Indie publishing isn’t for everyone, but I’m delighted that it’s now a viable option for those authors who want to pursue it. If you’re thinking about embarking on the self-publishing trek, I hope you’ll consider tuning in for a series of Sisters in Crime webinars exploring the topic. 

 

Feb. 13, 8 pm ET: So You Want to Go Indie

March 12, 8 pm: The Nuts and Bolts of Indie Book Production

April (TBA): Indie distribution, marketing, and promotion

 

You’ll find details on the Sisters in Crime website. CLICK HERE. Free for SinC members; $15/per webinar for non-members.

 

Also, the SinC Guppies will be offering a course on the subject: Independently Publishing Your Novel, taught by Jim Jackson. The course costs $130 and covers numerous aspects of the self-publishing journey, including how to run your small business. CLICK HERE for information. The course costs $130

 

Hope to see you there!

 

What are your thoughts about indie publishing?


***


Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

18 comments:

  1. I love that indie publishing has risen out of the shadows and is now a viable option for serious writers. I indie pubbed one book (Death By Equine) and won a major award with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Annette! That's so good to hear!

      Delete
  2. Have a great time on your panel. And thanks for mentioning the course I'm teaching. I did it last year as a six-week course and the students all agreed there was so much material that it should be a six-week course. We listened to them and it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. I've heard great things about your class!

      Delete
  3. Great to have the choices, both as a reader and as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You give valuable information here, Lori. It's good to see the publishing industry evolving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly. The publishing industry has gone through a lot of changes, and it's been interesting to watch.

      Delete
  5. Love this blog! Although I have been traditionally published, when I took on writing as a full-time job, I opted for indie. It is a harder road, but for now, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a learning curve—one that doesn't seem to end. But it can be a very satisfying road, too, as you know.

      Delete
  6. I'm still a little torn on self-published books. I've read some I really have enjoyed. And I have more I've bought (or snagged for free) but haven't read yet.

    However, there are many self-published authors who are turning out novella length books every month. Or worse yet, what appear to be full length books every month. I get that some people write full time and write faster than others. But that is still a red flag for me. It might be unfair of me, but it is.

    (Also, there's the fact that I just don't have time in my reading schedule to read that much from a single author.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Mark. For me personally, the thought of rapid release gives me hives (I just don't want to write that fast), but some authors do it well. I keep reminding myself that back in Charles Dickens' day, serialization was quite a popular way to release fiction.

      Delete
  7. So much good info, Lori! I'm considering indie for some projects so this is timely for me. Thank you! Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shari. Let me know if I can help!

      Delete
  8. Interesting and accurate perspective. Your weighing of the different factors, conclusion, and effectuation are admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debra!

      Delete