Thursday, February 8, 2024

Tess Gerritsen's THE SPY COAST

 


By Margaret S. Hamilton

 

 

 

“Old age confers anonymity, which makes it the most effective disguise of all.” (p.16)

 

In the tradition of Richard Osman’s Thursday Murder Club and Deanna Raybourn’s Killers of a Certain Age, meet Tess Gerritsen’s Martini Club, a group of retired CIA agents living in a small coastal Maine village.

 

Purity is a quiet town where people mind their own business. Maggie Bird gossips with her retired CIA colleagues at their monthly book club meetings and enjoys a cordial relationship with her neighbors. In keeping with the current trend of silver sleuths investigating murder and other crimes, when Maggie finds a body in her driveway and dodges a professional attempt on her life, it’s time to summon her local colleagues and get to work.

 

Gerritsen weaves multiple settings, past and present, as Maggie wanders the world, addressing the fallout of her last case in places she’s known and loved—Bangkok, Istanbul, Lake Como, London, Rome, and Malta. Gerritsen stated in an interview that she knows these locations well. She gets the details right, particularly the smells, and utilizes the cinematic attributes of the settings to enhance her plot.

 

Gerritsen writes a crisp, fast-paced thriller with well-placed time transitions. A second point of view from the local acting police chief, Jo Thibodeau, grounds the narrative. I’m looking forward to reading more from Jo’s point of view in Gerritsen’s Martini Club sequel.

 

Amazon Studios is developing The Spy Coast as a TV movie.

 

Readers, do you enjoy thrillers? Writers, do you write about places you’ve never visited?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. I do love thrillers, and this one sounds intriguing! As for writing about places I've never been, I've learned I need to plan a research trip to make the story feel authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and have it on my recommended list. I rarely write about any place I haven't visited - although sometimes the encounter was in the distant past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love psychological thrillers (the late Margaret Yorke is one of my favorite authors.) I do have some imaginary places, but they are composites of places I know. In my Jesse Damon novels, he lives in a town that is modeled after Hagerstown, MD (small city with three large prisons as major employers,) Albion, MI, (deteriorating railroad town which still has some heavy industry,) and Fairmont, WV, a place where the mountains rise quickly up from the Monongahela and the town. I've lived/worked/stayed with relatives in all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and am looking forward to the next in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for writing about places I've never been. It's hard, and so far I've managed to schedule a research trip. Google maps do not give me enough detail!

      Delete
  5. Margaret, you're making my TBR topple! As far as setting, I've stuck to places I know well. Shari

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, Margaret, you bring up intriguing books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve inspired me to check her book out. Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annette, Jim, Kathleen, Kait, Shari, Susan, and Grace: thanks for commenting. Getting all the details correct for a fictional setting has always been a preoccupation of mine. I'm glad others feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds like a hoot, Margaret. CONGRATULATIONS. The manuscripts I'm writing take place over 100 years ago in a place I have only very minimally visited. Unable to risk bringing COVID + home to a loved one who is immunosuppressed, I've still not been able to travel there for research. Internet to the rescue, I hope ( ;

    ReplyDelete