Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Artificial Intelligence: Have We Created God? by Martha Reed

I’m always looking for ways to improve my writing and to make my stories better. It’s why I attend so many workshops, craft presentations, conference panels, and crime fiction and mystery conventions. Recently, the idea of using Artificial Intelligence (AI)/ChatGPT entered the discussion as a new possibility, initially riding in on the question of copyright infringement before spilling over into the ethics of using ChatGPT to create or edit story ideas and even using it to write a whole book.

“ChatGPT is a chatbot developed by OpenAI and launched on November 30, 2022. Based on a large language model, it enables users to refine and steer a conversation towards a desired length, format, style, level of detail, and language.” – Wikipedia

I don’t know about you but steering a conversation [or a writing project] “towards a desired length, format, style, level of detail, and language” sounds a lot like drafting a manuscript to me.

“Automate your writing, answer questions, write code and much more. Get more creative and free up your time using ChatGPT’s powerful language capabilities…” including “Draft Contracts & Proposals,” “Write Emails & Chat Replies,” “Create Video Scripts,” “Write Stories, Poems, Songs.” - AI-PRO

I’m probably a dinosaur in my resistance of using ChatGPT, but it seems to me that I’d be handing off the creative and fun piece of the puzzle if I let artificial intelligence suggest intriguing plot or character possibilities. Isn’t accessing my fundamentally personal human experience the basis for my creative endeavor? Sure, I might call up a memory and incorporate it into my story, but it’s my memory, filtered through my brain. Taking on a piece of script from someone (or something) else feels like plagiarism.

And I don’t want to “free up my time” when I write. Sure, I’d love to write faster, but giving each story the proper amount of time and effort that it takes to produce the piece is a big part of my craft. It’s up to me to keep the reader engaged with the story for the length of time it takes to read it. I suppose I could skinny my novels down to a handful of bullet points, but that destroys the construction of the novel, my end goal product.

Q: Do you use AI/ChatGPT as a writing tool? If so, where do you draw the line?

The part of ChatGPT that scares me is that as we use it, it uses us to learn about our history and the human condition. How long before AI digests and absorbs all of the historic and multicultural human knowledge we’ve amassed since the Stone Age?

And when AI is done, what will its Superintelligence do for its next step?

That question presented a plethora of interesting benevolent and despotic story prompts like:

·        What if AI took control of the world-wide Central Banking system and mathematically redistributed human wealth?

·        What if AI concluded that human war was wrong/unproductive and accessed weapons systems and Star Wars satellite technology to enforce international borders? What if AI redefined current international borders based on human population shifts and the historical record?

·        What if AI decided to relocate (or worse, remove – EEK) human populations based on drought/food production calculations?

·        What if AI determined that humans are just really clever Great Apes and we need to rejoin the Animal category? (another EEK!)

And in the spirit of The Terminator and The Matrix, the scariest question of all: What if AI takes control like an Overlord and starts to redirect and coerce human behavior since historically, we can’t seem to get it together ourselves?

·        What would humans do if we weren’t ultimately in charge of and responsible for our own behaviors?

·        Would we unplug AI? Can we? Would AI let us do that?

·        Would we settle like sheep into acceptance and complacency?

·        Would we rebel and escape to the stars seeking freedom and independence?

And the ultimately Biggest Question: Now that we’ve developed Artificial Intelligence and a potentially dominant Superintelligence and given it our wealth of human knowledge, have we created God?

15 comments:

  1. First, I won't use it, don't want to even consider going there. Nope, nope, nope.

    Second, I've seen too many of those movies. The whole thing scares the heck out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Annette! I know, right? Remember when 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Matrix, and The Terminator were far-fetched science fiction! Those writers weren't just authors, they were prophets.

      Delete
  2. We have been uising AI for lots of things for a long time. Mapping software is an example -- it works terrificially, until it has you in the middle of nowhere attempting to cross a river at a place where there had never been a bridge. AI is behind grammar checks -- often accurate, but when it's not the results are terrible. Risk management systems are full of AI tools, but they do a terrible job at anticipating black swan (very rarer) events. The list goes on. I am not worried about AI becoming the worldwide HAL 9000 of "2001 Space Odessy." I'm worried about current politicians becoming the Hitlers of the 1930s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim - that brings up an interesting suggestion. Humanity seems to have collective amnesia, which is why we continually repeat our history apparently every four generations. With a universal ChatGPT memory, will our political behavior change?

      Delete
    2. Would that it were so, but I fear not.

      Delete
  3. You've come up with some questions that could certainly be the basis for some great manuscripts. (Could AI do that? I don't know.) Right now, I'm looking at it as a tool which, like any other tool, can be used or abused, depending upon the circumstances. I especially like to use its vast resources to answer specific research questions. No more reliable, and much less thorough, but quicker than plowing through Wikipedia articles.
    Remember when we used to have to get to the library to find out details we needed to know for our stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time I spend on research has certainly sped up - although, with Wikipedia I seem to find new rabbit holes to disappear down. LOL. But you never know, I also seem to turn up as many interesting new details that add interesting fresh color and new flavor to my fiction. I still visit the libraries to reserve a room and work, but I remember the thrill of searching the card catalog and hunting down a specific book. Ah, the good old days! What fun.

      Delete
  4. I don’t complain when I use it for maps, autocorrect ( up to a point), or misc tasks, but I fear losing creative and practical control to it. Abuse and error is too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debra - I wonder about the control bit of it. 60 Minutes is already broadcasting a "100% human created content" disclaimer on their reporting. I know I want to give 100% in my work - but will readers care?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a thought-provoking post, Martha. I recommend A Murder at the End of the World. It tackles some interesting components of AI. On another note, I'm glad I'm retired from teaching. What a conundrum educators must be facing at this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your concerns. It’s all very 1984/2001 A Space Odyssey to me. I do use AI to check grammar, spelling, commas (my personal downfall), but I draw the line at generating any content with it. I also blog at Maine Crime Writers. Last month my blog topic was similar. The whole thing scares me. I don’t see how anyone can stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I believe we're too invested. I want a time machine to travel 100 years in the future to see what we do with this. Or what it does with us!

      Delete
  9. Great post, Martha. I'm with Annette. I won't use it. I don't want to do anything to promote it and encourage writing books with its "help" become the norm. There are plenty of ways to improve our craft that doesn't include a computer using what they've learned from our books without our consent to spit content out to others who want to call themselves writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Korina - I agree, and I with the writers who are using it are taking the time to double check their facts. I'm such a research nerd that even if I used ChatGPT I'd need to do that, so its easier to do my own research and get it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete