Saturday, February 17, 2024

On Fireflies and Jackhammers, by Lori Roberts Herbst

I’m sitting cross-legged in a field filled with wildflowers. The sun has set, and stars glitter in the night sky. Fireflies teem around me, their tiny bodies pulsing with light. The swarm appears as infinite as the stars above, yet it doesn’t suffocate or frighten me. On the contrary, I find it exhilarating.

 

After a moment, it occurs to me that each individual firefly contains a story idea. One small creature alights on my outstretched hand, as
if willingly offering me the contents of its creative reservoir. 

 

I cup the little bug in my hand. Then I leap to my feet in sudden awareness that each firefly wants me to explore its story. I am surrounded by the illumination of limitless creativity.

 

Then I wake up.

 

I’m not sure which part of this fantasy is more implausible — my easy access to a multitude of ideas, or my ability to fluidly arise from a cross-legged position (I haven’t been able to do that since childhood…)

 

But here’s what I’m getting at: perhaps there are authors out there for whom the firefly scenario is reality. If so, I’m envious of them. For me, ideas seem to rest beneath layers of concrete. Retrieving them requires weeks, months, or even years of persistent jackhammering. I keep expecting ideas to emerge fully formed from my subconscious, like Athena springing from Zeus’ skull. Alas, it hasn’t happened that way. In my world, the mining of ideas is sweat-generating, teeth-gnashing, nail-biting work.

 

Stephen King said the novel Misery came to him in a dream. Lucky stiff. My nighttime escapades tend toward the more mundane, like moving laundry from the washer to the dryer. Hmm…what if I discovered a valuable gemstone nestled among the soggy clothes? What if I opened the dryer and found a portal to another dimension? Perhaps it’s time to get out my jackhammer. 

 

 “You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we’re doing it.” — Neil Gaiman

 

What’s the best idea you’ve ever had, and how did it come to you?


***


Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

17 comments:

  1. The idea that got me back into writing fiction after several decades away came to me in a dream. It was one scene that played out like a movie, and I was intrigued. My father was rapidly declining at the time, so I used writing the rest of the story as an escape.

    The resulting novella was awful and never went anywhere, but it successfully rekindled my fiction spark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a poignant story, Annette, and something positive to remember about those difficult days. When my mother was dying, I had a similar experience. It was almost like a gift she left me.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what my best idea has been. An important idea for me is to not immediately reject ideas that seem . . . ah . . . weird. Because my unconsious is trying to get some concept across and if I give it time I may understand what that key point is. Then, of course, I'm free to reject it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird can be so good! The difficulty for me is realizing when an idea is actually idea. I need to tune in better to my passing thoughts.

      Delete
  3. We stayed in a New Orleans Air B&B, sleeping in a room decorated as a nursery. I woke up in the middle of the night hearing "baby killer baby killer" whispered over and over again. I added what had happened to my 2017 eclipse story, "Baby Killer."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fabulous background story. Creepy and delightful!

      Delete
  4. The opening of my romantic suspense, COME HOME TO DEATH, that will be released on April 30, came to me in a dream many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I hope to cultivate such dreams some day!

      Delete
  5. The best idea I ever had came during a scuba dive. A plastic bag floated out of the wheelhouse of deep wreck. I caught it out of the corner of my eye. No easy feat in a dive mask. It startled me. I thought it was something fleshy at first. I grabbed the bag and stuffed it in my pocket – said a few unkind words about the litterbug and the premise for Death by Blue Water was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a great premise! I enjoyed the background story here; thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  6. I get ideas, but they are like lightening bolts--out of the blue. I can't pinpoint how I get them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My problem is the opposite--I have so many ideas crowded into my head that it can be difficult to chose among them (When I'm writing short stories, I usually look for a submission call to help me plow through the chaos.)
    However it works for you, the important thing is that you do get an idea and can expand it into a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts Herbst

      Delete
    2. Yes, so true. Recognizing the ideas as workable is the first obstacle for me!

      Delete
  8. I'm triggered by hearing or thinking of a word or phrase....but the development seems to work through my subconscious dream state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting that it begins verbally for you...I think it's usually visual for me...

      Delete