Monday, February 26, 2024

A Room of My Own - Sort of by Nancy L. Eady

This week, something exciting begins. My husband, who loves to woodwork, is starting to build me a desk where I can work from home and write with a two monitor set up without taking over the dining room table.

Last year, I learned I had Covid on a Saturday morning when I had a major brief due the next Friday. The first stop after Urgent Care was my office, where I picked up my work computer and my two monitors so I could work from home. I ended up working from the following setup for the whole week:


 While it looks like a pleasant, if crowded, place to work, doing it for a week revealed problems. First, the table that the monitors and computer rest upon is our dining room table. Leaving them up full time keeps us from using the table as a place to eat. (Let’s pretend just for a minute that we don’t normally eat our meals on trays; even if we use trays, I want the option to use a table.) Second, after about six hours, working at the table was a pain in the neck, literally. To see the monitors, I had to scrunch my chin down to my chest because of their height. After one day, we put the monitors up on an assortment of cookbooks, an uncondensed volume of Shakespeare’s works and a large print King James Bible to ease my neck. Third, the chair bottoms are wood. They are comfortable for the length of a meal up to about four hours; after that, they give me the equivalent of saddle sores. We had a harder time fixing that problem. 

I got the brief filed on time, recovered from Covid, returned my equipment to work and reclaimed my dining room table. There still are times when I need to work from home. Two monitors speed up the process.  Whether I am working on a brief or my creative writing, I can leave a document open on one screen and do research on the other. Mark and I bought two monitors to stay permanently at home in December, and rather than forfeit the dining room table again, we have placed them on the study/library table. 


The chairs are more comfortable, and we now know the number of books needed to raise the monitors to the right height, but the arrangement is cramped. What you can’t see in the picture is that the table and chairs are over 15 years old now, thoroughly scratched, and on their last legs. 

So, Mark has volunteered to build me a desk to replace the library table to give me a place where I can work and write. I’m thrilled. While it’s not exactly a room of my own as a place to work, since I will share it with him, it’s as close as I’m likely to get. 

Of course, my primary creative writing spot will remain, as shown in Shari Randall’s October 2021 post on Writers Who Kill, “Desk Set: Where Writers Who Kill Like to Work,” our sofa. 


But having a more professional work space is exciting too. 

If you could design your own writing room, what would it look like? 


8 comments:

  1. I have my own writing room, but it still doesn't look the way I'd like. Alas, I have no one to blame but myself. I plan to do a major decluttering in March. Congrats on your new workspace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the desk comes out well and you enjoy your new space. I've had my own office space for decades and the most important part is I need to have a window to look out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to design your own writing desk! I write on my laptop on the kitchen table, my back to the deck doors. Lots of natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great work arrangement. I need to keep my legs elevated as much as possible, so I have a comfortable recliner that operates at the touch of a button (my daughter calls it my "ejector chair;" the seat also raises to help me stand up.)

    I have the chair next to a window that looks out on the woods.

    Since I injured my hand in an industrial accident, I write almost exclusively on the computer. I have it on a hospital table (which we got when my late husband was sick) that is on wheels and L-shaped so I can easily roll it into place when I want to use it, and push it away when I don't. All with my legs raised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the room of your own! We're having a new house built in Colorado, and the three things I insisted on having: a bathroom door (who knew those aren't standard in CO), an air conditioner (again, not standard...seriously?), and an office of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting to get your own space! Congratulations, Nancy. I have a room right up under the roof - too cold in winter, too hot in summer, and I love it. There's possibly a bit of the writer in the garret about me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exciting and doubly wonderful to have your husband build it. I laughed at your preferred workspace after all that -- but it's so true. I've got a lovely desk set up in my loft space above my bedroom, but I don't use it as often as my chiropractor would like me to! I'd rather be in a comfy chair or couch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and how wonderful that your husband is building your desk! I've had my own workspace for years. Started working from home for a law firm in 2005 and now I write from home. Makes a huge difference. Of course, I hijack my laptop and head for my favorite grotto in the woods whenever I have the chance. There's something about writing with the wind in your hair!

    ReplyDelete