Sunday, February 11, 2024

THE WRITERS' CONNECTION

 by Korina Moss

Connection. That’s what good books are about, aren’t they? You connect with a fictional protagonist and their circumstances. They become someone real to you, often times long after you’ve read the last page. How many times have you stayed up late, racing toward the end of a book, only to dread it when you finally get there, because that’ll mean the book is finished? This is why cozy mystery series are so popular. What could be better than the opportunity to be back with “old friends” you loved from a prior book in the series as they maneuver through a whole new and exciting set of circumstances? 

As important as the plot is to a cozy mystery, the connection readers feel with the characters doesn’t come from the mystery solved. It’s the human connection—our protagonist’s plight, their quirks, and their vulnerabilities—the stuff our readers can relate to. The traits our characters possess that we hope to have in our real-life friendships is what makes them likable and worth returning to read about book after book. 

As an author, a connection is also what I try to achieve off the page. I’m a cozy mystery writer, but I’ve been a cozy mystery reader for over thirty years, long before my own series was published. So although the marketing aspect of my profession is time-consuming, it’s also a lot of fun, because I get to interact with other people who love reading cozies too. Although our foundation is our love of mysteries, we connect on other levels beyond books. Same with my connection to others in the writing community. I thrive on authentic relationships. My mindset is never one of selling to readers or networking with authors. It’s about having an authentic connection. 

When I was honored last year with the Agatha Award for Best First Novel for Cheddar Off Dead, it was the validation I needed that I’d begun to make that connection I’d been striving for in my books and within the mystery community. And this year, being fortunate enough to be nominated again for an Agatha Award, this time for Best Contemporary Novel for Case of the Bleus, makes me believe that connection is holding strong. I’m so looking forward to the Malice Domestic fan convention in April where the awards banquet will be held. After all, what’s better than being back with old friends? 


Reader: What makes you return to a series or an author? 


KORINA MOSS is the author of the Cheese Shop Mystery series (St. Martin’s Press) set in the Sonoma Valley, including the Agatha Award winner for Best First Novel, CHEDDAR OFF DEAD and the current nominee for Best Contemporary Novel, CASE OF THE BLEUS. Her books have been featured in PARADE Magazine, Woman’s World, AARP, and Fresh Fiction. For more information about Korina and her books, and to subscribe to her free monthly newsletter, visit her website korinamossauthor.com. You can also connect with her on Facebook and Instagram. 







10 comments:

  1. For me, it is the combination of the characters and the mystery. I need to connect to the main character and the series regulars and want to return. But I do want there to be a solid mystery, too. But if those things are present, I am hooked and can't wait to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again on the Agatha nomination, Korina! Well deserved recognition, not only of the connections you've made, but also of your writing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stick with a series as long as I want to find out what life has in store for the characters and I enjoy the stories that involve them, whether they be mystery, thriller, fantasy. Both components must be there for me to keep reading a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Agatha nomination! I return to a series because I like the main characters. But if the plots become thin and repetitive in subsequent books, I stop reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As most people, I have favorite series (and authors, some of whom write only independent novels.) I'm in the process of rereading many of my favorites.

    Congrats on the Agathas! (Can that be a plural?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone about the mystery needing to be solid too. Reading Agatha Christie books in my twenties makes me worry over my plotting, red herrings, and playing fair with readers as I'm outlining my books. Thanks for everyone's congratulations. And KM, I sure hope Agathas can be plural!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Involvement with the characters' stories. That's why, I'll try another book in the series, even if one seemed weak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see you at Malice! xo Shari

    ReplyDelete
  9. You nailed it, Korina. I love feeling a connection to the characters in the books I read, whether they're books for adults or picture books or anything in between. I also like hearing from readers that they want to move to or visit the towns in my books and spend time with their "friends" there. Congratulations on all your writing success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well-written characters are what I return to a series for. Characters who have authentic relationships, like the ones you're creating with writers and readers. Community is so important.

    Congratulations on your nomination!

    ReplyDelete