Monday, July 17, 2023

Traffic Stops – Writing Them and Experiencing Them by Debra H. Goldstein

Recently, I attended the Writers Police Academy. One of the classes I took was “Making a Traffic Stop.” The course covered two types of stops – where it is believed the car being stopped has occupants involved in a felony/crime (ex. Walmart is robbed and everyone sees the robbers run to a pink car and tear out of the parking lot on two tires --- and lo and behold, a similar car is spotted a few minutes later) and the typical traffic stops we all think we know. I was amazed at all the small details I learned that I would never have considered if I were writing a stop scene.

 

For the felony stop, I was in the command seat of the second car. Our job was to cover the passenger side from a safe distance. As you can see from the picture below, being left-handed, I probably would have shot off the mirror of my police car before I shot the bad guy.




 

The typical traffic stop proved to be almost as complicated as the felony stop. First, an officer spots something which could range from a light being out, speeding, weaving on the road, a license tag that doesn’t match a car, or something that simply feels fishy. Today, with computers, the tag is run before the officer gets out of the car. The next step is to carefully come up to the stopped car from behind, pausing to leave a handprint on the back of the car. Then, the officer, watching for guns or quick movements, makes direct contact by talking from a safe position still to the rear of the driver’s door. The driver may be asked to put hands out the window or on the steering wheel. The stop proceeds with license, registration, and whatever being obtained by the officer, who remains in a safe position, leaving one hand free if a gun must be drawn and the other taking what is produced. Depending upon the violation, things proceed to a warning, ticket, sobriety test, or whatever.

 

Why do I tell you all of this? Because if you write about a stop you need to get it right. The same is true if you are stopped. Now, I understand why a few years ago, I freaked out a young cop.

 

I was driving through a posh neighborhood having just come from a workout. A block after I passed the police station, blue lights came on behind me. I pulled out of the way to let the officer chase the bad guy. To my surprise, he stopped behind me. 

 

He got out of his car and slowly approached the driver’s side front door. As I asked what I had done, he, I believe, told me to put one hand on the steering wheel and hand him my license with the other. That’s when I remembered I had locked my purse in the trunk while I was working out. 

 

Nervously, I told the officer, “Oh, just wait a minute,” and I pushed open my door. He backed up, with an odd look on his face, but I brushed past him talking non-stop about my purse being in the trunk. In retrospect, after taking the class, I realize that what I thought was him being flustered as he backed away from the trunk was probably him trying to protect himself if I retrieved a gun instead of my license. I now interpret his puzzled serious mouth-dropping look as being abject fear mixed with confusion followed by relief when all I pulled out of my purse was my license. 

At that point, with both of us standing outside the car, he started to tell me the sticker on my license tag was expired, but I reached into the car again (and he moved further back) to pull out the mail which had the sticker in it and my checkbook to show I’d written the check for the fee well before it had shown up in the mail.

 

He gave up. After helping me put the sticker on the tag, he let me go. I wonder which of us was more relieved. That’s an element they didn’t go over in class.

11 comments:

  1. I can see why the cop would have been freaked out. Obviously, he had nothing to worry about since you commit all of your felonies only fictionally, but he had no way of knowing that. At least it had a happy ending for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think traffic stops and domestic abuse calls are two excellent reasons why I could never become a cop. Glad to hear you did this, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! I had traffic stop training as part of the citizen's police academy. When I go to the gym, I bury my purse in the hidden compartment of my SUV. If I'm stopped, I, too, will have to open the rear door and pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating—what an amazing experience (the class, not the traffic stop)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great information for writers! Thanks for sharing Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing how to behave is your best bet (as a driver or passenger) to come out of a traffic stop reasonably.

    Always roll down the window & the keep both hands on the steering wheel or dashboard. Never get out of the vehicle. Ask for permission before reaching anywhere. "The registration is in the glove compartment. Should I get it out?" "My license is in my bag, which is in the trunk. Do you want me to get it?" etc.

    I've been passenger in a couple of scary stops. Riding with a motorcycle club is a good way to attract police attention & stops. But the worst one was when I was with a friend who was on parole on a murder conviction, and who came up "armed and dangerous" when they ran his license plate. That one involved waiting for additional units to arrive. My friend was very familiar with what was going to happen, so it came as no surprise when I got the "Passenger, exit the vehicle and walk slowly backward toward my voice" command. He ended up face down on the pavement, but I was fortunate that one of the officers just held me sitting on the curb (at gun point) while they searched the car. Since he was on parole, no need for probable cause. They didn't find anything, and sent us on out way with a warning about coming to a full stop at all stop signs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is scary, KM - glad it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say, Debra and KM, is yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark...but he didn't know! Margaret...who would have thought an innocent way of hiding our purses could put us in danger (from the good guys?)? Susan, Lori, and Kait, WPA was a ball. I've been twice and learned something each time that has ended up in my books. KM - your tale beats mine... plus the practical points are important to know. We got to see a Swat unit stop ... and the commands were just like you are saying... firm, scary...

    Thanks all for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this info and your personal experience. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to add an essential to your actions when subject to a traffic stop if you want to come out of it in good shape.

    Turn off the engine. If instructed, drop the keys out the window. (Not nearly so effective now that most cars don't need the key in the ignition to start.)

    Greatly increases your chances of leaving the scene in one piece.

    ReplyDelete