Thursday, July 20, 2023

Ending a Series by Marilyn Levinson

I did it! I finished writing the final book in my Haunted Library series. Tears welled up as Carrie, my sleuth, said good-bye to friends and family members before leaving on her honeymoon. Because I, too, was saying good-bye to characters I'd created and had grown to love .

But it was time to end the series. Over the course of eight books, my sleuth had made huge changes in her life. I could, of course, continue it in another vein, one reminiscent of Mr. and Mrs. North because Carrie's new husband is an investigator. They'll be living in their new home with a couple of children solving mysteries together, something Carrie and Dylan do in books seven and eight of this series. But that isn't the series I want to write.

The Haunted Library series almost never came to be. I'd sent the series proposal and first three chapters of the first book to a well-known cozy agent. She seriously considered taking it, but decided not to. Since she was the cozy agent, as far as I was concerned, I figured that hers was the final word on the subject. I had no intention of sending out my proposal to other agents. Yes, I know. You're not supposed to give up so easily. And I should have known better since I'd published many books before and had it drummed in my head that you didn't give up so easily. You kept on sending out your proposal again. And again.

Instead, I tucked away my series idea of a young woman coordinating library programs and events and solving murders with the sometimes help of the ghost of a woman who used to work in the library and focused on other projects. Then someone I knew told me she'd met an agent who was interested in a mystery she was writing, an agent I was "friends" with on Facebook.  

"Do you think I should send her my series idea?" I asked.                                                             "Sure. Why not?"                                                                                                                             And so, I sent it to my current agent. She took it, liked it, and found me a publisher.

When Death Overdue, the first book in my Haunted Library series, came out October 10, 2017, the book received a slew of wonderful reviews, including a starred Library Journal review and named their Pick of the Month. It was a nominee for the 2017 Best Contemporary Novel at Malice. I found myself chuckling as I shook my head in disbelief. Thrilled as I was, I wondered what was it about this book that brought it so much acclaim? Was it really so much better than the books I'd written previously?

I still don't know the answer to that question, though it's my belief that the writing life is a process, and hopefully the more we write the better we hone our craft. Perhaps I'm too close to my work to see the difference in my books. All I can say is I'm so very happy that readers are enjoying this series and that some have been inspired to read my earlier books.

 I'm taking a breather before I start editing the last book in the Haunted Library series. Editing is serious work. I'll be checking consistency and pacing, grammar and typos as I read through the manuscript three times then send it to my editor who's sure to find places in the manuscript that require my attention. Then I'll begin my new series. I know many of the characters who will people my new setting. They are very different from the ones that populate Clover Ridge. My sleuth is forty-four and divorced with a prickly teen-aged son. She's a bit cynical as well as feisty, astute and forever curious. What fun it will be to have my characters interact and argue over issues that somehow always lead to murder. 


16 comments:

  1. Congrats on 8 books and bringing the series to the ending you wanted to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a time when many series cannot make it past the first three, to have eight in your series and to end it on your terms is stellar. (Once, of course, you finish the editing process!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve had a long run with this wonderful series, Marilyn. Congrats on all the readers it has claimed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, and wishing you the best for your new series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it that you have left yourself open to the possibility that you could return to your characters should you ever realize you just can't keep them from insisting to be resurrected. Which could happen.

    Meanwhile, on to new things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you the best......joy with writing your new endeavor....and fond memories of how your eight book series (with hints that there might be a return some day) came to be and was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, Jim, Susan, Margaret and Kathleen,
    Thank you for your kind words regarding my decision.
    Kathleen,
    I never considered it, but I do like the idea that I can always return to my characters and write about them in a new way. Our characters live on in our hearts and hopefully in the minds of some of our readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Debra! I am looking forward to writing my new series—new characters and new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your successful series—and the new one coming. I've been pondering the end of my series, and even just thinking about it makes me emotional. Saying goodbye to those characters...But I'm glad you are embarking on something new and exciting. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always emotional for me to put a series to bed. Sometimes I know when a series is done, sometimes a publisher tells me when it's done! Nonetheless, it feels like saying goodbye to very close friends. Like you I've written many series by now and know that I'll like the new crop of characters just as much. I wish you many fine sales on the rest of the Haunted Library series and just as many on the forthcoming one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this series and looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy sailing with your new characters, Marilyn! You, the writer, will have a great time. We, the readers, will have a terrific time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post brought to the forefront the bittersweet feelings you (and likely your readers, too) must deal with in saying goodbye to this series, these characters, and this brilliant idea for a hook you had years ago. I thank you for including the story of the BEGINNING here with the story of the END. Like bookends, in a way, together, they help the story feel complete. So, Marilyn, congratulations on this chapter of your writing, and best of luck with whatever comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori, Maggie, Deborah, Molly and Pamela,
    Thank you all for your kind words. Characters do take on a life of their own. And sometimes like Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes, they become as famous if not more famous than their creators. As I edit the last book of the Haunted Library series, I know how much I'll miss Carrie and the gang. Yet, before me is the wonderful chance to create an entire new cast of characters, something that we authors have the authority to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How bittersweet for you, Marilyn and what a sense of accomplishment. I often see this series on readers' "favorites" list. You've left a wonderful body of work. How exciting to dip into something fresh! Congratulations on both the completed series and the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Korina. I loved writing the Haunted Library series, and I look forward to creating the next series.

    ReplyDelete