Saturday, July 1, 2023

Machine Writing by Mary Dutta

The ways in which authors reach readers have been evolving since people first started writing stories. I recently found evidence of this in, of all places, an airport.

Wisconsin’s Dane County Regional Airport, to be exact. It was there I stumbled upon a Short Story Dispenser. It was exactly what it sounds like: a freestanding kiosk that, with the push of a button, would dispense at no charge your choice of a one-minute, three-minute, or children’s story to read.




Until that moment, I had no idea such a thing existed. And I was thrilled to discover that it does, for many reasons. As a short story writer, I cheer anything that spreads appreciation of the genre. As an author, I welcome efforts to reach readers wherever they are. And as a human being, I embrace any opportunity to share the stories that unite us all.

A little research revealed that the kiosk was created by a French online publishing house called Short Édition, which provides its short story dispensers “for the public to enjoy a serendipitous literary experience, free of charge.” The stories available range from classics by authors like Poe and Dickens to tales by local writers who submit their work for possible inclusion.

I would love to tell you about the wonderful story dispensed to me, but sadly the machine was not working. I’m hoping it was simply out of the eco-friendly scroll it uses to print out stories. I like to imagine that so many travelers had been enchanted by its offerings that they exhausted its supplies.

But even if that was not the case, I hope at least some passersby were inspired to read a short story, or a book, just from chancing upon such a magical machine. Maybe they made a stop at an airport bookstore on the way to their gate. Maybe they vowed to bring something to read the next time they set off on a travel adventure.

My own encounter with the story-vending machine definitely enriched my travel experience. It reinforced my belief that as long as authors continue to reach out to readers—at a library, a bookstore, an airport, or wherever they may be—a magical connection will be made.

Have you ever had a “serendipitous literary experience”?

 

5 comments:

  1. I've been aware of the short story machine for a number of years, seen them in various airports (including Dane County where I saw someone using it), but have never tried it out.

    Usually my serendipitous literary moments occur in bookstores when a book leaps off the shelf and into my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of (and seen, a few times) of the short story machine. I've contemplated contacting the organizers to see if they would like submissions, but haven't followed through on it.

    My serendipitous literary moments are a bit contrived, since I get both Bookbub and The Fussy Librarian, and often find books I'd love to read (or reread) on them. Since both promote "bargain books" for my Kindle, I not only feel I can afford them, I find it very convenient to obtain them. Right now I'm reading a Dick Francis novel I remember enjoying years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the short story machine! I've long been an advocate of short stories on cereal boxes. Never realized, but I can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea.Never heard of it, but the perfect solution to airport reading!

    ReplyDelete