Sunday, July 23, 2023

In Search of Inspiration by Annette Dashofy

For the last couple of years, I’ve been frantically racing deadlines. Two series. Two publishers on two different continents. Publisher A doesn’t care what my deadline is with Publisher B and vice versa. Therefore, at one point, I had three months to finish a manuscript and have it ready to turn in. At least, that’s how it looked on paper. Publisher A deadline in November. Publisher B deadline in February. 

(Note: I’m not complaining. I know how many writers out there would give their left arm to have such problems. I know because I used to be one.) 

I acknowledge there are authors who write multiple books a year and for whom three months is a piece of cake. I salute thee. I am not one of those authors. Given my druthers, I’d be in the one-book-per-year category. But my druthers don’t pay the bills. Hence two series, two publishers. 

Anyway, it takes more than three months for me to complete a manuscript. I know that. So I was writing like a fiend for a while, drafting two books at the same time. 

I may have lost my mind a little during that overlap. 

But I digress. 

I met the deadlines. All is well. But after those frantic couple of years, I’m now at a point where I’m writing the last book under contract to Publisher A. And I’ve completed my final edits on the last book under contract to Publisher B. 

The last time this happened, I was even more freaked out than I was while writing two books at the same time. Now what? 

I’m not so freaked out this time. I hope to continue both series. To do that, I need to prepare proposals for the next book in each. I have some time left with Publisher A since I’m only writing the first draft. But I really need to come up with something for Publisher B. “Something” being a detailed synopsis. Emphasis on detailed. 

Certain words strike fear in the hearts of writers everywhere. “Synopsis” is high on that list. 

While I have some good ideas (at least I think they’re good) for secondary threads, I really have no clue what the main plot will be. Hence, I’ve been in search of inspiration. 

And sometimes, inspiration comes in search of me. 

Friday, a week ago, I had one of those days. I had been in my office in the rear of my house, oblivious to the outside world, but when I came up for air and wandered to the kitchen for a snack, I noticed the traffic out front was at a standstill. Plus, there was a fire/rescue truck and a police officer at the end of my driveway. It seems a large tree across the road from us had come down and was completely blocking both lanes. 




I spent the next hour observing as the department of transportation sent a small crew out to cut up and remove the tree, which was leaning over our utility wires (communications, not electric). Finally, traffic was moving again, and I went back to my office. 

When I came back out at suppertime, there it was again! The remainder of the tree, no longer supported by the part that fell earlier, came down and was once more blocking the road. 


Side note: I live on a main route to a concert venue, and there was a big concert that night. 

Concertgoers, not eager to be late, bypassed the tree by driving through my yard. A guy in a pickup got out with a chainsaw and cut what can only be described as a tunnel through the branches to allow one lane of traffic to drive through the downed tree. 



Safe? I don’t think so. I called 911 and the cops and the department of transportation (no fire/rescue this time) came out. I heard several of them utter, “Again??? 

My neighbor came over. We sat on my porch swing and enjoyed our front row seats while the impatient concertgoers idled and fumed. Finally, the road department guys cut up the tree and the show out front was over. 

But my “inspirational” day was not. When I went inside, I thought it seemed unusually hot. That’s when I discovered our heat pump AKA air conditioner had died. When I called for service, they refused to come out because it was after hours on a Friday, and it wasn’t a life-or-death situation. Never mind that I have a service agreement with them. 

Motive for murder? Maybe…fictional, of course. 

The next day, I heard a news report about a police department that had found a bull and were looking for its owners. 

So, I have lots of material to work with here. The only problem is…the synopsis I’m supposed to be writing is for my Detective Honeywell series, which is set in the city of Erie. All of the above is perfect for the next Zoe Chambers Mystery though. I’ve taken notes. 

In the meantime, I’m still in search of inspiration for that next Honeywell book. 

P.S. My new heat pump will be installed this Tuesday. Until then, I’m getting by with a small window AC unit. 

Fellow authors, have you ever had inspiration for a story drop into your lap? Readers, how are you getting by in this summer’s heat?


14 comments:

  1. I do love summer, but only because of a working AC. I truly feel for you having to live without one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I made a one-day-delivery purchase from Amazon of a small window AC unit. It and the cool nights we've been having are the only things getting me through. HVAC guy is coming on Tuesday. I'm counting the hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the inspriation didn't drop any closer to you. Brava for persisting through the challenges. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a moderately deranged author (could describe a lot of folks) whose painstakingly assembled synopsis is not only declined, but mocked by an editor or agent? Certainly grounds to plan a murder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, instead of a tree blocking the road, how about a tractor truck stuck under a bridge -- which is cleared. The driver swears he has fit under the bridge before. And then later, another tractor trailer gets stuck -- because (a) something is causing the bridge to settle or (b) something or someone has caused the road to rise

    I'll leave the pesky little details to you.

    You're welcome .

    I haven't had the problem with novels, but I have with short stories. The harder I try to make an idea fit, the more reluctant my brain is to supply acceptable alternatives.

    Good luck, Annette. I have confidence it will work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mary!

    KM, I think that's a daily occurrence in our business!

    Jim, we used to have a low-clearance railroad bridge over a local road, and the clearance grew lower and lower every time the state repaved, so the scenario you described has, I'm sure, happened. My uncle was a truck driver for decades and definitely has stories to tell.

    Anyway, they tore down the low railroad bridge and rails-to-trails replaced it with a gorgeous, very high, bridge that no one is going to get stuck under.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annette, I can’t identify with the tree situation, but when I have a deadline the tree situation has lots of relatives in my own life. Glad to hear you have a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the a/c and tree situations resolve themselves before our next round of temps in the 90's next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Susan.

    Margaret, the tree is down. Still across the phone/cable/internet wires but out of my hands. And the new HVAC system goes in on Tuesday, so I think we're in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the a/c is on the road to recovery. Sounds like I know what Zoe and Pete will be doing, but who’s under the tree and how do the find the disguised wedge marks? My inspiration once floated out of the window of a sunken ship at 100 feet. It was a plastic bag, but I saw a hand, waving. You know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We never know where inspiration will come from, do we, Kait?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have a wonderful story, Annette, even in a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lot, Annette! Hope you get a good inspiration for the plot soon, although maybe not in quite as dramatic a way!

    We also had a big tree fall across the road this spring, one house over, and it not only took out the power lines, but completely blocked our road--which is also a shortcut to a big concert venue. Luckily, Duke got everything put back to rights within six hours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, EB.

    Karen, these wires aren't electrical, but I can't believe they're bearing the weight of that entire tree with no interruption in service. I guess communications wires are stronger than power lines.

    ReplyDelete