Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Armchair Travel

 by Paula Gail Benson

This summer, I’ve been very much enjoying all the Facebook photos of my friends’ summer travel. I’ve been fortunate to take virtual journeys to New England, Michigan (it was lovely to watch folks picking beautiful red cherries from fruit trees instead of what I so often have to do: analyze research to determine if it is based on “cherry-picked facts”), and literary Great Britain (including Platform 9 and 3/4s at Kings Cross Station, the departure point from London for Hogwarts).

My own physical travel this summer has been limited to several trips to Charleston, South Carolina, which, while beautiful, charming, historical, and fascinating for many reasons, is best viewed in cooler seasons. Writing a short story has given me another opportunity to make a vicarious journey in time and location.

The original university library, now known as the Palace Green Library and the School of Music
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University

I knew my story would take place in 1880s England, at a college town. The protagonist, a 19-year-old female seeking to find her way in the world, realizes she has reached a decision point in her life. Her mother died shortly after her birth. Her father, a noted professor of Natural History and Darwin enthusiast, has allowed her to serve as his secretary and assistant. Their housekeeper despairs that the protagonist has no prospects for marriage.

After consulting with the headmistress of the finishing school she attended, the protagonist decides to take on the position of nanny in a wealthy, but distinctly unique household. In fact, she soon learns that her charge is a baby vampire.

The situation, in and of itself, was a bit of a journey, but I wanted the setting to be factually based. The town needed to be smaller and less well known than Oxford or Cambridge. After some internet searching, I decided Durham suited my purposes.

My next question became, did Durham have town houses, like the one I imagined where my protagonist would work? I quickly learned that the phrase “town houses” referred to residences in London and later became a single word when used by realtors to sell urban homes in other locations. Durham did in fact have such places that existed in the 1880s.

Saddler Street Photo by Trevor Littlewood
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=117699100
Next, I wondered how the streets might be laid out in that time-period. I found photos showing cobblestone pavements and references to the central market. I also found maps laying out the town and its surrounding River Wear.

The amazing thing about the internet is how intricate the photos and descriptions are, both of current and historical aspects. I learned about the courses and professors at Durham University, the other colleges in the city, and some of the housing arrangements for the students. I also was able to research dress and medical practices, which played an important role in my story.

River Wear Photo by Edward McMaihin
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=119650435

Unfortunately, my first submission resulted in a rejection, but I don’t mind. Now, I have a chance to explore historic Durham further and make some corrections. I discovered the university did not teach natural history in the 1880s, so I’ll need to make it a fascination the Professor has rather than courses he teaches. That’s okay. I can make that work.

Have you ever used the internet to develop the setting of a story or just for some armchair travel?

7 comments:

  1. Although my preference is to use locations I have personally visited, I often use the internet to supplement my memory -- or transport me to an earlier time.

    Best of luck making the changes you need to the short story to find just the right home for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never written about a place I haven't visited. Something about the smells and the light. I have published stories set in 1943 and 1959. I used family photos and letters for the WW2 story and sources like Life magazine for the 1959 story (clothes, cars, food brands).

    I visited Durham as a college student and loved it, but don't remember the specifics.

    Good luck with the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having the ability to do armchair research instantly for my writing. As long as I don't end up diving down a rabbit hole of interesting but totally irrelevant information and not emerging until my writing time is over, which has been known to happen.

    Most of my locations are either ones I've visited, or fictional places that combine aspects of places with which I am familiar. One town is a combination of Taneytown and Hagerstown, MD. Another is based on Albion, MI, transplanted to the Fairmont, WV site on the Monongahela River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fascinating! I do prefer to write about places I’ve been, but do lots of follow up online and in books. Durham is now on my list of places to visit someday! I hope I don’t run into any vampires, baby, or otherwise! Sounds like a cool story, Paula, hope you find a terrific home for it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "fictional" setting is based on a location I've been to many times. But I've had to use armchair research a lot for things like how the police department operates there, etc. It's fun! Your short story sounds wonderful—hope we get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. I’ve used it for both. I prefer to visit my settings, but since I write about Florida, a bad hurricane can change the landscape appreciably sometimes taking down landmark buildings that fictionalized or not, are identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jim and Margaret. Margaret, I've decided I definitely want to visit Durham.

    Kathleen, I know what you mean about those rabbit holes. I have traveled down many!

    Shari, thank you. I'm with you. Durham is on my "to be visited" list.

    Thanks, Lori. I hope to find it a good home!

    Kait, I hadn't thought about that. I do love reading about Florida locations.

    ReplyDelete