Monday, July 3, 2023

Moving

by Linda Rodriguez


After spending most of my adult life in Kansas City, Missouri, I have suddenly found myself moving to a different state and a different town. The process has been grueling, as moving usually is for everyone. I don't know anyone who likes to to pack up all their things and move. 

We are actually still in the process, since we are only 45 minutes on the highway from our old house. We are taking our time, because we didn't have a lot of notice and thus didn't have everything packed up so that we could hire movers to bring the heavy furniture right away. So we are living with as much of the living room and dining room as we could get down here with the help of friends and a skeleton kitchen--lots of takeout, so it's fortunate our new hometown is a good town for restaurant food.

We lucked into the perfect house for us. I'm not using writers hyperbole there. This house truly is the perfect size, location, architecture and design for us, and we knew it when we first saw it. At that time, I was gobbling pain pills to try to deal with a bad fall on cement stairs at the house we looked at before this one, but even through the pain, it was clear this was our house.


My husband and son are still making trips several times at night during the week and for long hours on the weekend to finish packing up so that we will be able to have movers bring the heavy furniture. They are also constantly bringing loads of small furniture and boxes of assorted things (mostly books--way too many even though we slashed our library heavily when we downsized about 6 years ago).

My husband and I tell each other how much we love this house and how much we're looking forward to the new life we're getting ready to build. 


Not much writing getting done, I'm afraid, although I did plan and organize a book launch for the anthology that I co-edited which was published recently. Thankfully, that was a great success. 

I am planning my workroom with great enthusiasm, however. For the first time since we left our old big house almost 6 years ago, I will once again have an office. My work room will be half-office and half-fiberart studio, and I am looking forward to both so much. I get anxious to be finished with the moving and settled in, but then I remind myself that this transition time is important, because it's a time to plan and set things up in such a way that they will support all my work.

So, if you're in Lawrence ,Kansas, sometime, stop by and see me.

16 comments:

  1. Moving is definitely never fun. Best of luck getting the process finished and the new home set up to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've moved a lot and as Mark says, it's never fun. And, in my experience, the close ones are the worst because you move most of the stuff yourself and that takes forever (and the physical pain lingers). With distance moves, you just have to do it in one go.

    I hope yours finishes soon, and you settle into your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The right residence can make so much difference in life! When my husband was ill, and I badly needed a knee replacement (not available during COVID since it was "elective" surgery,) we moved to a more suitable place (minimal stairs; accessible bathrooms, etc) and while I knew it would make a difference, I hadn't anticipated just how much more livable it would be.

    I hope your very comfortable in the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the other hand, moving also gives you new opportunities, new neighbors, and a new outlook to stimulate those brain cells. Hope your move has all of those once you organize everything and come up for air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the move, Linda, and hopes for a speedy recovery! The house looks spectacular. I love the glass insets in the door and to have a space big enough to accommodate both writing and fiber art--Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you found the perfect place—it makes the stress ultimately worth it. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new work room. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, that door with the four windows! With that as the entrance to your new house and new life, I can only imagine how right the rest of the house and this move will be. Your office sounds perfect. I haven't been through Lawrence in several years, but the next time I take the trip, I'll let you know. Best of luck - going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five windows in the door! Even better than four. And your blue chairs - I've written so many blue chairs like that into my stories. They are the perfect chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark and Jim, you guys are so right moving is a real pain. The new house is great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KM, you are so right. The few little stairs in front of the old house made it almost impossible for me to get back into the house after getting going somewhere. So I was pretty much housebound. This new house is not only completely accessible inside but the entryway is completely accessible for me to get in as well as out without help. And that makes just all the difference in the world. It's going to allow me so much more Independence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, you are absolutely right. I am really looking forward to it. I love this neighborhood and we're right next door to Haskell Indian Nations University where my husband and my son teach and I have many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kait, don't you love the door lights? The whole house is so bright and filled with natural light. It's just a warm welcoming house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, there is a lot of stress involved, but my mantra is just, "I love this house." You're so right. It makes everything worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Molly, you absolutely must stop in if you are in Lawrence or anywhere near. I don't think I've seen you in person since Killer Nashville, and that was some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you the best of luck and many wonderful memories to be made in your new home.

    ReplyDelete