Sunday, July 16, 2023

Readers to the Rescue: Q&A with Sarah E. Burr

After being on vacation for two weeks while juggling an impending manuscript deadline, I must admit I’m feeling a bit frazzled, unsettled, and anxious. Not exactly how you want to feel after spending time on Maine lakes and California beaches. However, such is the life of a writer on a deadline. And because my brain feels torn in a million different directions, I enlisted my wonderful readers to help me with this month’s post. That’s right, I’m doing a Q&A!

And boy, do my readers have some great questions. Let’s get to it!

 

Have you ever known who you wanted to kill off before you started a book? Or is that a prerequisite to even starting a book? When I sit down to begin a new manuscript, the one thing I know for certain is who I am going to kill off. Whatever else happens is up in the air, but the murder is with me from the start. I know who’s dead, why, and how, and that is a story in and of itself, ready to be told. Establishing one “story” helps me overcome the hurdle of “plotting” out an entire book.

Fun fact: Before this latest Trending Topic Mystery, I would also have answered that I know who the killer is, but for the first time in my writing, I changed the culprit a chapter before the reveal!

 

What does your outline look like? Diehard plotters will probably say my outline is not really an outline, LOL. I list the days that will be featured in the story and write a short summary (around five sentences) about what needs to happen during that day to advance the plot. In total, it comes out to less than two pages. Maybe that makes me more of a “plantser!”

 

Do we ever get a Constance-Holden moment? Ah, this question will definitely be addressed in the next Glenmyre Whim Mystery, which I am about halfway through. Once Trending Topic Mystery Book 3 is in my editor’s hands, I plan to focus on Hazel and Poppy. In their latest adventure, mystery author Constance Crane finds herself in hot water when she becomes the prime suspect in a murder, so Chief Holden Whitfield will most certainly have her in his sights.


Are there going to be more Ducal Detective Mysteries? Yes! I am not ready to say goodbye to Duchess Jacqueline and her friends just yet. While I plan to “end” Jax’s story playing out in the Court of Mystery series by 2024, I have a spin-off waiting in the wings that features George Solomon and his new lady friend, Serafina Braeknoch.

 

You must have a favorite character, right? Can you tell us? While I love all my leading ladies equally, I definitely have favorite supporting characters to write. Poppy Glenmyre, for sure, although it’s kind of strange to think of her as a supporting character. While the Glenmyre Whim Mysteries are told from candlemaker Hazel Wickbury’s point of view, her best friend (and aunt), Poppy, has such a massive role in each mystery. I love her bubbly nature and outlook on life. I wish I was more like Poppy!

Another favorite character is Jasper Hastings from the Trending Topic Mystery. I think anyone who has read #FollowMe for Murder or #TagMe for Murder can probably tell. Jasper is so much fun for me to write with his larger-than-life personality. I’ll do anything to get him into a scene…even if that means making Coco talk on the phone!

 

Do you think Coco Cline could run into Elon Musk? Oh, Elon. It’s so funny that this came up because there is a scene in the new book where Coco comments about Twitter, post-Elon Musk takeover. Writing about Coco’s social media activity in this book has been challenging because the digital landscape is in such a state of flux. So many people are trying to find “the new Twitter” because of Elon’s policy changes, and Coco is struggling to manage her online interactions (aren’t we all). Will a future draft have to account for Zuckerberg’s new Threads? Time will tell!

 

Where do you get your social media content from? I make all my graphics and videos using Canva. I love Canva. Canva is the best thing I did for my author career. I cannot recommend enough to invest in a digital design platform to help you create your own content. As the publishing industry evolves, authors are increasingly asked to do their own promotion and marketing. Having professional-looking content gives you a leg up, and Canva makes it so easy. I even stream my design sessions on YouTube to help authors get ideas and navigate the application. I also run my own side business, BookstaBundles, which makes digital content tailored to authors.


When is The Bookish Hour returning? Season Three of The Bookish Hour will return on October 12th, 2023. But don’t worry, we’ve got plenty of bookish things to keep you busy! Our companion web series, A Bookish Moment, has shows scheduled throughout July and September (August is our official hiatus). Stay connected by subscribing to our YouTube channel or signing up for our episode mailing list!


Thank you to my dear readers for your thoughtful questions and help! I hope, come my August post, to have an update on the success (fingers crossed) of my latest Trending Topic Mystery draft.

 

7 comments:

  1. Always fun to see what readers want to know and to learn the inside skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such a great job with social media. I agree about the easiness of using Canva.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! So much to learn, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this – what great readers and what great questions. I am definitely going to have to stream your Canva YouTubes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us! It's informative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this Q&A. Fascinating to get a peek behind the scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone! I was very lucky to have such great questions to answer :)

    ReplyDelete