Sunday, August 15, 2021

Writing and Guilt by Tammy Euliano

 

I speak only for myself, but I don’t think I’m alone…I feel guilty about writing. It’s my passion, but it’s not what puts food on the proverbial table. In fact, it removes said food in that I spend far more on courses and contests and conventions and advertising (yeah, messed up the alliteration there, sorry) than I make in royalties. And if I’m to believe the author salary data, that is unlikely to change.

Fortunately, my day job pays well, even as I’ve gone part time, though I feel somewhat guilty about that, too. My department is chronically under-staffed and would benefit from me working more, both clinically in the operating room and by mentoring junior faculty.

Then there’s my family. The kids are on their own (all three about to be in grad school), but I’m happily married and want to keep it that way, so I feel guilty writing in the evenings when I should be doing things with my husband, even though it’s my most productive writing time.

And what of those blessed two days off per week to write? Sadly, I can’t write eight hours straight. The dogs need to be walked, after all, and the tennis ball won’t throw itself for fetch, and sometimes my creativity and focus just wane (another thing to feel guilty for). Much as my dogs fail to listen, my characters choose to talk to me at inopportune times when I’m supposed to be doing something else.

Guilt here serves no purpose, and yet it’s there all the same. My husband is incredibly supportive, but has never found his own passion (other than for me of course J). For those without one, it’s difficult to understand how all-consuming it can be when the words are flowing and you don’t want to stop to marinate the @#$% chicken.

So what to do about guilt? About always feeling like I should be investing my time elsewhere? Family, friends, day job, writing, dogs, parents (not in that order, Mom!). I know you’re expecting an answer--the story of how I overcame those feelings and am the better person for it.

Yeah, I’m not there yet. I set an alarm now in the evenings. At 9pm I’ll join my husband and we’ll watch TV together. At least one night a week we go out with friends, and another night we Skype with the kids. I’m working on my tennis and golf games as couples’ time. I plan to lower the bar on my cooking – healthy but repetitious – so I don’t spend so much time looking for recipes and then complaining they didn’t work out.

Meanwhile, instead of guilt, I choose to feel blessed to have found my passion; fortunate for a day job that enables me to pursue it; grateful for my supportive family and friends, especially other writers; and delighted that my husband’s guy golf outing will take four hours on Saturday! Yeah, I still have some work to do.

7 comments:

  1. good for you! I like the "easy by repetitious" meal planning. I cook two or three evenings at week and make lots of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tammy, hugs. It’s not easy, but writing is your job, too. Authors with day jobs walk a fine line with family time and what I call obligation time (cooking cleaning, etc.), but walk it we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't alone, Tammy. But it isn't guilt with me. At my age, I only get to see my children a few times per year. Since we moved to Hatteras, my friends visit infrequently--so, when they are here, I devote my time to them. As they are houseguests, I don't have it in me to ask them to fend for themselves. They are here to see me--ignoring them isn't an option and would be rude. I'd never see them again. So, I have compromised my writing, especially in summer when they all suddenly appear for two months. Not all at once, but they overlap, keeping me busy not only being with them, but cleaning, cooking, and shopping! It is a mixed blessing. But through it all, I remind myself that my experiences in life feeds my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all seem to be riddled with guilt for one thing or another. However, better to feel guilty about writing than to ignore what drives you and gives you pleasure. Then you would go from feelings of guilt to feelings of discontent and unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always need to feel guilty about something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your feelings. When I walked away from my lifetime appointment as a judge, people thought I was crazy to give up the earnings and benefits to follow a passion. They still do. Sometimes I agree with them; however, there is a tradeoff being able to write when I want instead of between Midnight and four a.m. or on weekends. At the same time, I'm not nearly as focused as I was when working because other things demand my time. What I'm trying to say is that no matter what one does, guilt comes with the package.

    ReplyDelete