Saturday, August 28, 2021

Tall Tails – The Writer’s Cat by Kait Carson

 

Cats have a storied place at the side (or on the lap or keyboard) of writers. From Hemingway to Highsmith, Dickens to Twain, cats have served as muses to their humans. I have had two very different feline muses. Hutch a brown tiger with more human characteristics than I care to consider who reminded me to write daily.

 

This was his “why are you photographing me when you should be writing” face. Hutch went to play at the rainbow bridge in August of 2018, but he didn’t leave before he trained his successor.

 

Cub takes his job very seriously. He provides plot and editing advice, and when things get too tame for his liking, he takes over the keyboard and through the magic of kitty osmosis, transfers his ideas onto the page.

 

I write traditional bordering on thriller and cozy bordering on traditional novels.  They have one thing in common – besides what I hope is a good story – critters. Catherine Swope in the Miami is Murder series is the proud human of Bullet – a retired police K-9 - and Paddy Whack a rescued silver tabby. Hayden Kent in the Florida Key’s traditional series has a brown tabby named Tiger Cat. Hank Wittie in the Southernmost Secrets cozy series has a brown tiger cat named Pirate Cat.

 

My critters don’t speak, or help solve the mysteries, but they do provide solace and stress relief to my various heroines. If you’re looking for crime solving critters, I suggest you check out Lilian Jackson Braun’s Cat Who series or Rita Mae Brown’s Mrs. Murphy series. Both series are fun, easy, reads. The Mrs. Murphy series deals with weightier issues than the Cat Who series which is pure fun.

 

I had the rare good fortune to meet Jack (Bumby) Hemingway in the early 1970s when I was visiting Key West. He was hard to miss. He looked just like his father. As a life-long cat lover, I asked him about the cats on the estate. He shared with me that although cats were always around the property and often in the house, the family didn’t have cats in Key West. That, John said, was in Cuba. He went on to explain that because the cats at the museum were so well-cared for, and because it was likely that they were descendants of a polydactyl cat that had been on the property during his father’s time, he supported the myth whole-heartedly. I have no way of knowing if Jack’s version is true, or if he was simply a Hemingway making up stories, but either way, it speaks to a writer’s love of felines.

 



Why do cats have such an honored place in a writer’s life? Anything I write here is pure speculation, but as a writer with cats, I do have some standing to speak. Cats are self-contained creatures. Win a cat’s heart and you have a friend for life. They will grace your lap with fur and warmth, and purr like a motorboat when stroked. A cat sits quietly, content to watch the cursor float over the page. They won’t demand to be walked just as you find the perfect solution to a plot problem thus interrupting the flow of creative juice. Petting a cat is also said to lower blood pressure. I find that mindless stroking induces a near meditative state. In that meditative state free association flows and creative ideas bloom. They are the perfect natural antidote to writer’s block.

 

Readers, do you enjoy stories with critters? Writers, do you have a feline helper?

11 comments:

  1. Cats have always been an important part of my life. Mostly they are helpful, but recently I was kitten-minding for my daughter for a week, and while Athena was "assisting" at the keyboard, she managed to remove most icons from my desktop.

    I enjoy animals in stories. Sometimes I write a short story with the animal as the main character. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of Seamus McCree's frequent traveling, giving him animals to take care of wasn't fair to the animals. I gave him grand-animals instead. First his son brought home from college two cats (Cheech and Chong). He later acquired a golden retriever named Atalanta. The animals don't help solve crimes, but they help headers understand the human characters by how they interact with the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write with the standard poodles nearby, or if it's dinner time, "nosing" my forearm off the keyboard. When I read my work out loud, they listen, fall asleep, or leave the room in disgust. They are also zoom participants, standing up next to me to say "hello" on camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I don't have any pets--although we have done our share of petsitting for our daughters' dogs. I did, however, add a cat to my mystery series because cats are so popular in cozy mysteries. I just have to remember to have my main character remember to care for the cat. I just can't have my character take off for days without providing for her cat. If I did, I would be hearing from readers. I once had someone lead a horse to water after a ride and heard from a writer that you don't do that. I guess had seen too many westerns where the cowboys came into town and led their horses to water troughs to think that it wasn't done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until recently, I've always had a cat or cats. Since we lost our last dear old guy, though, we have a cat-allergic, long-term house guest. I sorely miss a cat on my lap while I write, but putting them in books helps (with the advantage that my characters change the cat pan).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat passed away last year and I miss him dearly. He would drape right next to (or in front of) my keyboard on the table or plaster himself next to me on the couch if I was working there. He was in one of my unpublished books, and I have a feeling he'll make an appearance in some future book of mine. I don't have a cat in my current series because so much of it takes place within the cheese shop itself, so I have a flashy betta fish, but I love when animals show up in cozies. Thanks for sharing photos of your gorgeous cats. I'm sorry about Hutch's passing and so glad you have another who knows his assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ KM - Oh, No! Cub once sent an unfinished e-mail for me. It was embarrassing, but fortunately, said nothing I would regret. Kittens are such fun - and so wicked. I bet you get a short or a scene from the experience.

    @Jim - I love Cheech and Chong and cheered when they arrived on the scene, as I did with the golden "deceiver." How characters treat their critters says so much about who they are and in some ways sets limits for the human's behavior.

    @Margaret - how wonderful that your pups are so actively involved with your writing life - Having them appear on Zoom is a plus. I always enjoy it when critters make cameos. It adds a special attraction to the appearance.

    @Grace - I can relate about cat care issues. I sometimes get so caught up in the story that I have to be reminded that the critters need attention! Laura does fine with her kitten. It's a fun addition to the cast.

    @Molly - so sad that you lost your kitty. Has your cat served as a model for the one in your stories? And yes, there is that advantage to the cat pan - also, no hair balls.

    @Kornia - Thank you on the kind words about Hutch. I miss him, and always will. Well, you know what I'm saying. I am so sorry about the passing of your little fur baby as well. I've based Pirate Cat on Hutch - sounds like you are planning to do the same at some point in the future. Betas are amazing fish, gorgeous and with huge attitude. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kait,
    So nice to meet your feline friends. My Sammy died in June 2020, and I miss him terribly. He was always close to me when I wrote, sprawled on his back in one corner of the room or another. Thankfully, I still have Smoky Joe, the library cat in my Haunted Library series. And I don't even have to clean his kitty litter! Carrie, his "owner," takes care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about Sammy! There is something comforting and creative about having cats near as we stress over the details of a writer's life. Smokey Joe is a particular favorite of mine - have you given him any of Sammy's attributes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Kensi Kitty has the job of being my spokescat, posing with my books for pictures. Or posing with other authors' books as well. She doesn't hang around my office, but she does inform me when I need to take a break...and give her a snack. Also, she will not tolerate having me work on my laptop in the living room. My lap is reserved for her. Even if she doesn't really want to sit there right now. She just wants to be sure there's nothing taking up that space...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, Kensi, Annette - she is such a beautiful girl, and a wonderful spokescat. How lucky you are to have been well trained by her - snack on demand! My three are calling her for pointers. Isn't it amazing how they demand our attention, and how they can always discern where our eyes are pointed.

    ReplyDelete