Monday, August 16, 2021

The Twisties and Writing


The Twisties and Writing by Debra H. Goldstein

As I am writing this, the Olympics are going on. In the past, I have been glued to my television to watch the various events, but not this year. Instead, I’ve been following the Olympics through internet news stories. Consequently, I’ve known who won before the events were televised. More importantly, I’ve had a chance to follow the different personal stories that the media has highlighted.


Obviously, the biggest story for Americans has been that of Simone Biles and the twisties. When it was announced she was pulling out of the all-around competition, I respected her for protecting her mental and physical health rather than trying to do something that could have resulted in serious injury (to this day, I remember Kerri Strug going for the gold but needing to be carried to the podium).

 

At first, though, like many, I questioned how severe the reason for her pulling out was, but as I came to understand the definition of the twisties – an inability for the mind and body to be synchronized; a loss of the sense of space and dimension in mid-air; the inability to tell up from down – I realized the profound sense of horror the twisties must mentally produce at the moment it hits. Reading more, I learned that gymnasts must relax and go back to basics until their mind and body once again become one.

 

In our way, writers often have a version of the twisties. Some call it writer’s block; some call it fear of writing something as good as a past story or book; some call it the inability to find words that meet the mental concept one has for a work. For some, the problem occurs at the beginning of a book, for others in the middle, and occasionally at the end. There are writers who only write one book because they never overcome their mental block. There are other would-be writers who never complete their first book for many reasons or excuses. In each instance, the writer is suffering from his or her own version of the twisties. The solution is often like that of the gymnast – relax, go back to basics, and then revise to fill in whatever is missing.

 

The solution is easier to summarize than to put into effect. What do you as a writer do when you have your version of the twisties? Readers, do you ever have a similar experience and how, if you are able, do you overcome your twisties?

8 comments:

  1. I put the project in a drawer and work on a short story instead. After time away from the manuscript, it always reads better. During hard physical labor (four foot weeds, I'm after you), my mind wanders, often spontaneously producing a plot twist, the perfect opening line, the snarky dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My problem when I'm feeling that way is getting started. Although I still use the tried and true method of procrastination, now that I have deadlines, I more often than not just make myself sit down and write. Invariably, once I get going, I'm fine. If I know it's a plot problem, a long drive with the radio off usually solves it. (And since I'm my teenage son's chauffeur, I get this opportunity often!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post, Debra. Going back to basics is good advice. I find sketching out the plot on good old paper with my favorite kind of pencil (Blackwing Palomino *chef's kiss*) gets me back to basics. No distraction is essential, too, so working off my laptop, away from the internet, helps as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how the issue hits all of us - it isn't unique, but our methods of resolution are personal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all hit roadblocks, we all deal with them in our own way. Sometimes that way is to realize that this project (or even the entire idea of being an author) is not for us, either permanently or under the current circumstances. Eventually, most of us are able to continue. And those who do not have learned something about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting back to basics works for me, too. What doesn't work is being shamed by others. I had some version of the "twisties" in high school gymnastics half a century ago. Suddenly, without warning, I couldn't make myself fly over the vaulting horse anymore. No matter how much the gym teacher tried to shame me into it. She wasn't a good gymnastics teacher, but she did teach me the importance of not shaming people for their personal "twisties" or "blocks." Thanks for this post, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having been a ballet dancer, I can relate to twisties. There is nothing worse than twirling across the stage and losing your focus point. It can lead to injury and disaster. My heart went out to Simone Biles when she spoke of it. As a writer, I'm not sure it's twisties so much as the much dreaded impostor syndrome. I intend to grit my teeth and power through. Much the same as I did in dance class. As one of my teachers used to say, "You did it before, you can do it again. Just keep doing it until you remember how good it feels."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a good question to ponder. The mind is so mysterious. We have to depend upon it’s strengths and figure our way around its weaknesses. Thanks for a great post and so many great comments.

    ReplyDelete