Sunday, August 22, 2021

I’m Just a Gal Who Cain’t Say No by Annette Dashofy

Early in my publishing career, I had one basic plan for getting my name and my books in front of the reading public: Say yes to every opportunity that presented itself. 

It wasn’t a bad plan at first. I probably traveled too far and spent too much on lodging and gas for a speaking and signing gig that produced minimal income. But I figured the more exposure the better. The Marketing Rule of Seven states a buyer needs to hear about a product seven times before they purchase. Each appearance checked one of those boxes. Only six more to go!

At some point though, I seemed to become a hot (or at least lukewarm) commodity. Finding time to write the next book became challenging. Plus, my accountant kept pointing out that the number of books sold still wasn’t justifying my travel expenses.

I confess I didn’t listen to him. I enjoyed seeing places I’d never been before and talking to readers.

But that next book still wasn’t writing itself. So I learned to say “no.”

Sometimes.

 


I confess, I relate a little bit to Ado Annie. Okay, I don’t have problems saying no to boys the way she does, but I do have a hard time turning down requests from readers and writing groups!

And then March 2020 happened. I had a full slate of appearances scheduled. We all know what came next.

For the last eighteen months, I haven’t had the luxury of saying no. There’s been darned little to say YES to. Thankfully, things are loosening up around here. I’m still not traveling great distances (darn it, Martha. I was looking forward to coming to visit in Florida!) and about half of my upcoming events are still on Zoom. However, last weekend, my husband asked when we could take some time off to A.) get some work done around the house before winter and B.) slip away for a mini vacation. That’s when I realized my schedule has gotten really full! I could only pin down one possible week.

So I’m announcing it here for all the world (and especially my Ado Annie self), I’m not taking on any more events for the rest of 2021.

(Note: since originally drafting this post, I’ve already added another library panel. Oh, well. Cue the music.)

Am I the only one having problems drawing boundaries and using the NO word?

 

 

7 comments:

  1. So glad you didn't say no to the library panel! I think a lot of writers have a had time with the no word. We're always afraid we won't be asked again! It's a hard line to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which reminds me, I've got this great event for you to attend....

    While I can certainly understand the need to balance travel expenses and time for appearances (I am an accountant, after all), you can't always judge the benefits of an event by the people you talk to there or the books sold at the event. For one thing, if they become fans they will buy future books. And they might get people who would never have heard of you before reading your books.

    Am I helping? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the high points of my mystery book club was when you came & spoke to us. I was disappointed that more people didn't show up, & that there weren't more book sales, but you did acquire a few more devoted fans.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could hire you for Guppy classes. But the Guppy bylaws prohibit Guppies from gaining monetarily from the membership. If you can't say NO, I'd like to take advantage of that (sorry!!) but I can't. Do you consider yourself an extrovert? I wouldn't be happy--too introverted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kait, YES. Fear of not being asked again is a big part of it!

    Mark, I totally agree, and that's why I accept many events that don't show an immediate ROI. I may not sell a book at the time, but maybe the attendees go home and buy one (or two or ten) online. It's all networking. (Yes, you're definitely helping)

    Kathleen, that was so much fun. Maybe I can come back another time.

    E.B., I understand the reasoning behind that bylaw item, but it does kinda suck. As for being an extrovert, I never ever considered myself to be one. I grew up as a terribly shy kid. But after all the solitude of the pandemic, I'm beginning to think I do have a strong extroverted side to my personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I've had precious few opportunities to say "yes," so I'm probably saying "yes" too frequently. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete