Monday, August 9, 2021

Where to Plant Clues?

 By Shari Randall

 


The Sisters in Crime Chesapeake Chapter recently presented a Zoom workshop called Deep in a Bowl of Porridge: Planting Clues and Obscuring Red Herrings: How, Where, and When To Plant Clues with the very talented Catriona McPherson. Catriona just published her 29th book; if anyone knows about clues, it’s Catriona. She invited us to join her in the happy place “where the bodies pile up and the wrong people are suspected.”

 

She spoke about where, how, and when to plant clues, but I want to focus on the Where. Catriona began the class by saying “you can’t hide a horse in the desert” and gave us tips and examples for hiding clues. Her presentation was so rich and charming, I encourage you to seek out any workshop she teaches.

 

I’m sharing just a tiny bit of the wonderful advice Catriona gave us. Because I’m knee deep in writing a novel, I’m sorting through the clues I want to use and where I want to hide them. I’m sure Catriona’s advice will make that process easier.

 

Where to hide clues? Here’s a checklist for inspiration:

 

In a list of details.

 

In humor. (If the reader is distracted, you can slip clues past them.)

 

In a character’s attitude, emotion, or POV. For example: The police are looking for two men. A child describes the suspect as “tall and old.” Three adults describe the suspect as “young and short.” (All witnesses are describing the same one man from their own perspectives.)

 

In a subplot.

 

In a sex scene (Distraction again!)

 

Inside another clue. Catriona shared a quote from Reversal of Fortune: “Sunny Von Bulow is in a coma after an insulin overdose. Her husband Claus is the prime suspect. He maintains it was a suicide attempt. Earlier, her maid had found insulin hidden in a stash of drugs. She remembers being puzzled. She remembers saying “Insulin! What for insulin? My lady is not diabetic.”

 

Catriona encouraged us to remember that there are good and bad clues. We all know the good ones, the ones that make us go back in the text, the ones that delight us with their cleverness, that fool us, the ones that play fair.

 

The bad ones? The bad ones fudge reality to make the story work. Catriona shared some examples, but kindly did not identify the authors. I hope I never end up on her syllabus!

 

Writers, do you have any advice for planting clues? 

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. I wish I'd attended that workshop! Catriona is amazing. And planting clues while playing fair with the reader is ALWAYS a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly enjoy clues that require the reader to consider what DID NOT happen. The classic example is Sherlock Holmes and the dog that did not bark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annette, she is so knowledgeable, smart, and funny, too! If she offers another class, I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim, I remember reading that Holmes story and being blown away by that clever clue. We discussed it and Catriona said it's fine to take a spin on a classic clue like that, but one must make it fresh. Another challenge for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for passing on her tips, Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, E.B. If you can ever take a class with her, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I get the chance to take a class from Catriona sometime (and now I'm terrified that I'm on her list of bad clue perps)! Thanks for this post, Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! What a great class and Catriona is a great teacher. I hope I never end up on her list.

    Planting clues, always a challenge, but a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun and worthwhile class. Thanks for sharing it with us, Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catriona has the best advice! (Thanks for summarizing, Shari!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great round-up, Shari! Something I'll have to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Shari. I watched the session with Catriona, which was excellent. But reading your summary helped reiterate her points. When I plant clues, I always bury them in a series of three things, with the clue in the middle. Then I go on to emphasize something about the third one, which I hope totally draws the reader away from my real clue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great clues make for a great mystery. I love it when an author manages to intersperse them so cleverly that they are obvious AFTER I've read the solution.

    ReplyDelete