Monday, August 2, 2021

Finding Focus

 by Linda Rodriguez


All my life, I have been able to focus, intensely and ferociously, on anything to which I turn to my attention. At times, this has even been a problem. It's become a joke in my family that, if I am engrossed in reading, studying, writing, or just seriously thinking about some issue or problem, it will be almost impossible to gain my attention. When they were adolescents, my kids used to get a kick out of trying all kinds of elaborate performances to try to break my focus and gain my attention while the others watched. There were even small bets laid. No one ever won, not without pretending some kind of serious injury or other emergency.


This kind of fierce focus has been good to me through the years. It allowed me to graduate with two degrees cum laude while working multiple jobs and freelance contracts and raising kids as a single mom. It allowed me to meet an incredible deadline for a book imposed on me by my publishing house because of their own difficulties. I was able to write, completely revise, and have accepted (with few edits) an entire novel in less than 3 months. It allowed me to write another book while struggling through breast cancer with surgeries and all of its other invasive and weakening treatments and side effects. It has been one of my great personal strengths in life, and I have relied on it as long as I have lived.


Now, after being out of this process of writing a novel for a long time, because of spiraling health problems and a heavy load of freelance work I've had to do to keep afloat with all the medical bills, it's hard to get back into thinking in the fictional creative mode, which always relies on intense focus. Writing novels involves focusing so intensely on the characters, the setting, the characters' actions and the way they impact each other, and a million other things that you are immersed completely into that fictional world that you have created.


Sometimes, coming out of that world after a good stint of writing and facing the mundane, everyday world in which we live can be difficult and require very real time for adjustment. Sometimes, it's hard to cut off that focus and to turn off that imaginary world, so that you can act reasonably in this everyday world. This is one of the reasons that writers sometimes drank so much. They used alcohol to shut down their imaginative world and ease their way back into the world of their families and obligations.


Once lost, that habit of intense focus is hard to regain. It has always been such a part of my innate personality that I have never had to think about it or cultivate it. It was always just there when I reached out to access it, like one of my senses. To lose it like this does feel as if I have lost one of my innate senses, such as vision or hearing. It leaves me feeling that disoriented and dislocated from the world around me. I am, in a certain way, a broken person with this part of myself missing.


Consequently, I am really having problems working on my current novel right now. Between debilitating coughing spasms and my usual conglomeration of pain, I'm not getting sleep at night. This means that, during the day, I am moving as if through molasses, and that includes my mind, which seems to me to be full of sludge that keeps it from fully functioning. I am still having the health problems and still piled high with paying jobs, because, of course, we're still up to our necks in debt, thanks to medical bills. If anything, it's worse now, because my husband has been laid off from his long-time university job at an age where no one in this capitalist society wants to hire you. Still, it's time to get back to my own writing. I don't feel that I can avoid that any longer, just because it's painful to face that I no longer have what was once one of my great strengths.


I am aware that many of my fellow writers were not gifted, seemingly from birth, with this kind of deep focus, but have had to work hard to develop it through their own efforts. Consequently, I know it can be done and that whining about it is about as attractive as someone born wealthy complaining about the loss of their money. Now, I am trying to piece together how to develop what I was born with and never had to work for, and I'm not finding it easy, at all. Wish me luck.


How have you been able to develop the intense focus required for immersion in writing the novel? Have you developed any handy techniques or shortcuts? Inquiring minds want to know.


Linda Rodriguez's 12th book is The Fish That Got Away: The Sixth Guppy Anthology. Her 11th book was Fishy Business: The Fifth Guppy Anthology (edited). Dark Sister: Poems was her 10th book and a finalist for the Oklahoma Book Award. Plotting the Character-Driven Novel, based on her popular workshop, and The World Is One Place: Native American Poets Visit the Middle East, an anthology she co-edited, were published in 2017.  Every Family Doubt, her fourth mystery featuring Cherokee detective, Skeet Bannion, and Revising the Character-Driven Novel will be published in 2021. Her three earlier Skeet novels—Every Hidden Fear, Every Broken Trust, Every Last Secret—and earlier books of poetry—Skin Hunger and Heart's Migration—have received critical recognition and awards, such as St. Martin's Press/Malice Domestic Best First Novel, International Latino Book Award, Latina Book Club Best Book of 2014, Midwest Voices & Visions, Elvira Cordero Cisneros Award, Thorpe Menn Award, and Ragdale and Macondo fellowships. Her short story, “The Good Neighbor,” published in Kansas City Noir, has been optioned for film. 

Rodriguez is past chair of the AWP Indigenous Writer’s Caucus, past president of Border Crimes chapter of Sisters in Crime, founding board member of Latino Writers Collective and The Writers Place, and a member of International Thriller Writers, Native Writers Circle of the Americas, Wordcraft Circle of Native American Writers and Storytellers, and Kansas City Cherokee Community. Learn more about her at http://lindarodriguezwrites.blogspot.com 


22 comments:

  1. Linda, I'm sending long-distance hugs.

    Everyone's process is different. Mine involves writing for an hour or two every day. That's all the longer I can focus. My mind then mulls over the story, what comes next, what do I need to change in the pages I just wrote, during the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to wall of the world and concentrate on the task at hand for hours on end. Can't any more, but I can for short periods, so that is what I do. And after a short period is done, I reward myself with a word or math puzzle or watching birds for a few minutes, and then I go back to task.

    Best of luck with finding a solution that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, Linda. You have a lot going on right now. It can make deep focus difficult to achieve.

    Like you, focus was never a problem. Then I became a full time writer. Somehow the luxury of unlimited time to write discombobulated me. It's a work in process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elbow bump, fully masked! I've had the concentration of a gnat for months, but during a rainy and hot summer, finally was able to do a deep dive.

    Healing thoughts and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Focus for me has always been difficult - I am very easily distracted. To shut out the world and focus, I have to literally shut out the world and find myself a good study carrel in the library.
    You are an expert at keeping so many balls in the air. I'm confident that your focus will return. Like those Olympic athletes that are distracting me right now, you have deep muscle memory to recall your powers to focus. Sending you hugs and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good thing is it will come back....and you won't even realize it when that magic focus returns. Like Kait, I focused well until I stopped working-probably because time to write was precious. Now, life gets in the way....but there are moments when the world fades away and I find the focus of yesterday. With the outside stressors you have had, it is no wonder that your mind and soul have been overwhelmed, but take everything one step at a time, and give yourself a few minutes each day for you...and the focus will come in those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is tough. Have you thought about hypnosis? I agree that it will probably come back at some point, but this might kick-start it. And it would be an interesting experience that - who knows, you might use in a book some day! ;) Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My focus improves the more I'm immersed in a writing project. The trick, these days, is how to immerse. I often feel as though I'm standing at the edge of a diving board and can't make myself jump. A deadline helps, but only so much. Sometimes listening to the same piece of music helps - tricking my brain, I guess, into recognizing that piece as the 'get to work' music. The Miles Davis "In a Silent Way" sessions are great for this. Music with words - absolutely not. Good luck, Linda. Let us know when your focus returns. We're all rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annette, I'm used to much longer periods of work than that, but I would seriously settle for a full hour at a time of the really deep focus, if I could achieve it. Right now, I'm trying for any bit of time in that state that I can get, but I just can't seem to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in losing this, although I'm really sorry that you're stuck with the same thing. Yes, I'm trying for exactly what you're doing, just haven't gotten there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kait, the move to full-time writing didn't make it that much more difficult for me to write. I worked a pretty full-time day as a writer. The bulk of it would be devoted to the current novel, but there was always work, such as revision or copyedits, on earlier books, as well as teaching and freelance work. I always saved those for later in the day, after I had put in my stint of 4 to 6 hours on the current book, when concentration and focus might not be as easy. That's the schedule I'd like to return to be able to return to, but I suspect that, at best, I will be able only to do what Anette and Jim have talked about, a limited period of focus on novel writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret, fully missed elbow bump right back to you. Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to regain this. I'm hoping that will happen to me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Shari, I love that idea of muscle memory for focus. From your mouth to God's ear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debra, thank you so much. You have been such a great friend through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tricia, no, I haven't really thought of that. It's probably not a good choice for me right now. My disabilities and my compromised immune system keep me pretty much tied to the house at the moment. For one thing, I'm not taking any chances with Delta, especially since I live in Missouri where it is raging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Molly, yes. I do understand what you're talking about with the diving board metaphor. In the past, I have often worked in very busy environments, such as coffee shops, because I never had a problem blocking out all distractions. Not so much now. I have to work hard to try to set myself up with his few potential distractions as possible, and even then, that's not enough to kick in that deep focus. I am just doing what Annette and Jim are, working for short periods of time and then taking a break before trying it later, once again. This hasn't worked for me yet, but I do hope that it will eventually, if I just keep at it and make it clear to my recalcitrant brain that I'm not going to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck, Linda! I'm hoping you get your focus back soon.

    I'm pretty good at focusing as well, which my family will complain about because I'll miss out on what they're saying. My dad was the same way while I was growing up--he'd get lost in a task and ignore everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, thank you very much for your good wishes. I know what it's like to have your family's irritated amusement at how deeply you can be immersed in a project and how difficult it can be to summon you back to their presence. I hope you never lose that gift and wind up where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Linda, yes with those issues being very careful is so necessary. Sending best healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're a true inspiration, Linda. Thanks for sharing these thoughts with us. I really can use them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathleen, I know you have been dealing with a lot of stuff, as I have been. Here's hoping things get better for both of us and we get our focus back

    ReplyDelete