Sunday, August 8, 2021

BIRTHING A BOOK AFTER GETTING AN AGENT by Korina Moss

 


 

1. Write a book.

2. Get an agent.

3. Get your book published… Hold on, not so fast.

 

After all these years envisioning nabbing an agent, I confess, I didn’t think much beyond it. It’s like when you’re pregnant for nine months (or in my case, going through the adoption process for many months)—you only think of when the baby will finally arrive. That’s it. Hurrah! I finally have what I wanted! But as all of us parents know, that’s not the end, it’s only the beginning.

The same holds true for a book.

 

Once you have an agent – or a baby – you’ll work harder than you ever have in your life. And you’ll be more tired, but also more fulfilled. You’ll do things you didn’t know you were capable of. Just when you think you know what you’re doing, something new arises and you have to figure your way through it. Nerves and accomplishments go hand in hand.

 

When my agent finally said my mom blogger mystery was ready to submit to publishers, I knew I would no longer be able to put my mark on it. It was like sending my son to his very first day of school—no more straightening his collar or wiping a smudge off his face. Just as I’d done with my son, I now had to let my book stand on its own.

 

Publishers praised my mom blogger manuscript, but ultimately almost all had the same feedback—the “mom” focus might not be widely accepted by a cozy mystery audience. Hence, there I was with an agent and no publishable book.

 

Fast forward ten months—I’d written a new book that was making the submission rounds. Then COVID hit, and acquisitions slowed down or stopped altogether. We didn’t hear back from most publishers, although a few rejections trickled in. I wasn’t sure what my writing future held.

 

Then my agent said an editor had a theme idea for a cozy mystery and asked if I would like to throw my hat in the ring and write a proposal for it. A proposal consists of a synopsis of the book, the first three chapters, and in this case, blurbs for the next two books in the proposed series. We didn’t know who else was vying for the contract, so I promised to have it done in two weeks. Needless to say, I slept very little those next two weeks. It was a daunting task.

 

With the help of my agent, I turned in a proposal I was proud of. I remember thinking that even if I didn’t get the contract, I had proven to myself I could rise to a writing challenge—I felt I could write another book and endure another submission process, if necessary.

 

By the time my agent called, I had convinced myself my proposal hadn’t been chosen and she was being kind enough to give me the bad news via the phone rather than email. Instead, the first thing she said was, “This is the call you’ve been waiting for.”

 

This process has shown me how to:

1. Dispense with expectations – things may not go as planned.

2. Keep moving forward – opportunities may arise.

3. Do what scares you - you may surprise yourself.

 

 

Tell me about a time you did something that challenged or scared you. How did it turn out?


12 comments:

  1. It's great you were prepared and willing to accept the new opportunity challnege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these posts. Instructive and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! I'm not sure I could do a book proposal in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An inspiring story and one that proves "the harder you work, the luckier you get." Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating that when the original book didn't work out, you were able to pivot and succeed. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everybody. I feel very lucky that something else came my way just as I was feeling at my lowest -- as if I'd made it into the race but couldn't get past the starting gate. I hope it shows others that if you keep working at it, good things can happen in a way you may have never expected. I'm sure I will need to rely on this in the future, as being a published author is so precarious -- "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

    Judy -- I love that quote! I'm going to write it down!
    Margaret -- I would've said the same thing, but you'd be amazed how a major incentive can push you past your preconceived limitations of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your journey, Korina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Korina, your story is inspiring and instructive. I'm so glad it worked out for you and that we'll all get to read your book next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read your book! Luck *is* what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

    As for me, I was scared when I decided to open my editing business. I'd edited crime stories on a volunteer basis before and been in critique groups, and authors I'd worked with encouraged me to do it, but I still wondered if I really knew what I was doing. But I followed my dream and jumped in with both feet. Now, eight years later, my business is going strong. I'm making this dream come true and helping others, like you, make their dreams come true at the same time. I wouldn't have known I could do it if I hadn't tried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb - We have to do things before we think we're ready, right? I've got to keep that in mind! You inspire me by how you manage to be so successful at both your writing and editing careers. It must be so satisfying to not only succeeded in making your dream happen, but to also be an important part of many writers' journeys.

    Thank you, Shari and Molly. I remember how inspired I was by you, Shari, when I met you at a book signing after you'd received your Agatha award.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Korina. That's great news. You never know whether you can do something unless you try it. You've proven that you were up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful news!

    I hope everything goes well (I won't say smoothly, since I know that wont' happen.)

    ReplyDelete