Thursday, August 19, 2021

Some Thoughts Upon Completing a Novel by Marilyn Levinson


I've just finished writing the sixth book in my Haunted Library mystery series that's published under my pseudonym Allison Brook. I enjoy a sense of accomplishment for having completed another novel—my nineteenth or twentieth. Perhaps the writing gets easier for some, but not for me. Oh, sure, my Internal Author is savvy enough to create plotlines full of twists and turns with some characters creating murder and mayhem that other characters investigate and resolve. However, one problem remains. I've no idea if I have ADHD, if I'm hyperactive or simply a procrastinator, but every day I require a good deal of effort to settle down and add at least two pages to my manuscript. I'm fine once I get into my writing groove, but honestly, sometimes I wonder how these books get written.

I love writing a series because I adore my characters. They're real to me and I never tire of watching them develop and grow. Always active and relating with one another, they have plenty to do and say.  My sleuth Carrie Singleton first appears in Death Overdue as a goth-looking young woman approaching thirty. She is restless, unhappy, and ready to move on. In Dewey Decimated, Carrie is a solid citizen of Clover Ridge. Not only the well-respected head of programs and events at the local library, but she's also filling in a vacancy on the town council. A product of a dysfunctional family, now Carrie is surrounded by friends and relatives and is engaged to be married.

Social media being what it is today enables me to engage in many exchanges with my readers. I'm delighted by the number of them who tell me they love my series. They can't wait to see what's happening next in Carrie's life. Recently, a fellow mystery author reviewed Death on the Shelf, book number five in the series that makes its appearance November 9th. He gave the book an excellent review, and when I thanked him he told me he thought this book was the best in the series yet.

I was delighted to hear this. And yet it makes me wonder. Will the book that follows measure up to this high praise? I mean, when readers come to expect another great book to read, will I be able to deliver? Odd to think that we not only must keep up with our previous books, but top them if possible. Such pressure! This must be one fraction of what was working on Simone Biles at the Olympics as she competed against her own past achievements.

These are a few of the thoughts that run through my head as I pause between finishing my latest mystery and start to edit it. I can only say I hope that the result is an enjoyable book for whoever reads it.



9 comments:

  1. I suspect many of us worry whether we will meet others’ expectations. Of course, if we meet our own, we’re likely to meet others’ because we are our own worst critic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog, Marilyn, and the perfect glimpse into a writer's life. I can't add anything to what Jim said except I've read your books and you have never disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your ultimate results will be as successful as your past books, so that shouldn't concern you.

    Some once told me, "If somebody else wrote it and you read it, you'd think it was pretty good, even if it needed a bit of editing. Why can't you think the same thing about your own work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim,
    How true that we're own own worst critic.

    Kait,
    Thanks so mich for your confidence in me.

    Kathleen,
    I'm editing the book now. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is a mystery. Good thing we like mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn, you couldn't write a bad book if you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog, Marilyn! And I agree with Saralyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saralyn and Shari,
    You are so kind! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete