Monday, July 20, 2020

I Blew It

I Blew It by Debra H. Goldstein

Have you ever become so involved or overwhelmed by things going on in your life that you forget to do something? Something you had on today’s to-do list, but glancing at it on your list, you figured you could put it off a few days? That’s what I did with my WWK blog post last month. I wrote three other blogs and decided I could write the WWK one the following week. Great plan. Poor execution.

The same thing can be said for writing. One can have the best intentions, but life gets in the way. For example, I had two deadlines recently plus the blog I missed. I barely made them. It wasn’t from a lack of trying, but simply from too many outside influences getting into my head.

I’ve found I’m not writing as efficiently since the pandemic because part of my day is spent taking long rides with my husband. It’s a great excuse to say that’s time I normally would write, but the reality is that it would be time to write if nothing else distracted me.

My second excuse is one of those distractions. During the pandemic, we got the brilliant idea to build a

house. That means a second ride to see how the house is coming along every day. Before that, though, there were hours lost deciding on the décor and where TV outlets should be put.

Once we signed the contract to build the new house, we needed to prep the old house for sale. Carpet needed to be changed, an interior paint job was a must, and the clutter had to be removed. After two weeks of miscellaneous trivia, the house was ready. We thought it would take a month or so to sell, but that wasn’t the case. We listed it at ten a.m., it hit the MLS at 11, and was sold by seven p.m.  All good, but more time away from writing – especially since we now had to find a place to temporarily live until our new house is ready.

These were some of my excuses for being behind, but the bottom line was I simply didn’t put my butt in my chair and attend to the task at hand. The deadlines were met, but the blog was forgotten. My apologies. Have you ever had that happen to you with your writing or something else in your life?


8 comments:

  1. good luck with the move! I have trouble remembering what day it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - especially now, days seem to run together (as do dates). Thanks re: the move. Each day brings new challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we moved, we had our stuff stashed in two states. We were waiting for my son to graduate and get a house with his wife. The rest of the stuff was in storage until we finished an addition to our beach house. It was a mess! At least you didn't forget to dress or something equally embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've all had similar lapses due to overload.

    Hope the move goes smoothly and you love your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally get a pass. You have a LOT going on. Hugs, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do have a lot going on - whoa!
    I'm glad your home sold so quickly, though that can also lead to challenges. I hope you'll love your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been amazed at what you accomplish, so I'm surprised that you actually missed something. You definitely get a pass on the missed blog. Good luck on your move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally get it, and I don't have nearly as much going on as you do. This morning I got a comment on a blog post that I didn't even know I posted - oops. I had set the post date ahead, and then forgot about it and a completely unfinished, unedited post went live. Much panic and quick editing... Life happens. Moving can be so stressful - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete