Thursday, July 9, 2020

A Garden Meditation


Daylilies


By Margaret S. Hamilton



Daily temperatures are above ninety in Cincinnati, the riverfront air heavy with humidity, my yard filled with insidious biting chigger mites. It’s tempting to spend all day pushing the dogs off a major air-conditioning vent so I can stay cool, but I live with the constant threat of the yard police reporting me to the village authorities. Early every morning, I venture outside garbed for the equatorial jungle, shielded by two coatings of bug spray, wearing long sleeves, pants, and high socks, for an hour of intensive weeding.
Daylily
Coneflowers




Some of my neighbors have beautifully designed and maintained perennial gardens. Iris blooms in May, followed by June daisies and daylilies, and during the summer doldrums in July and August, brown-eyed Susans and coneflowers. The beds are mulched and edged, with nary a weed in sight. Perfection, with no soul, like a book of pretty prose, lacking excitement and emotion. Boring.


Reblooming daylilies
Shasta daisies



I, however, subscribe to the “fill the beds with plants to crowd out the weeds” philosophy. Unfortunately, thistles, vines, and sucker growth co-exist nicely with my perennial salvia and short, reblooming daylilies. Meanwhile, in what used to be an organized shade garden, the giant hostas have engulfed the dainty astilbe and silver ferns, evoking memories of an epic sixties sci-fi movie, The Day of the Triffids. And the prickly pear cactus the previous owner planted next to the curb, probably to deter dogs, is expanding with great enthusiasm.


Prickly pear cactus
Hostas



While hacking back the worst of the sucker growth and vines, I savor moments of joy: a crepe myrtle I nursed after two back-to-back winters of crippling below-zero temperatures will bloom this year; a precious Japanese iris flowers for one day every summer; helianthus from a deceased friend’s garden; each fragile hydrangea blossom emerging from bushes reduced to dead stems after what is now our annual late-spring hard freeze. Harmonious blooms of purple salvia, peach daylilies, and dwarf blue spruce next to the walkway, and the late May show of Caesar’s Brother blue iris and red knock-out roses around the front door. A combination of rosy returns daylilies and raspberry monarda bloom for the Fourth of July.


Japanese iris
Reblooming daylilies
Knock-out roses
Endless Summer hydrangea
Caesar's Brother iris



Emotion, conflict and resolution. Subplots with robins teetering on thin limbs as they devour service berries, nesting song sparrows, and visits by a red-tailed hawk. The sweetness of the goldfinch’s song as it flits across the yard with its distinctive zig-zag flight. The occasional black snake and resident rabbit eating her way through the flower beds. More worrisome, daily coyote sightings when neighbors walk their dogs at daybreak.
Raspberry Monarda
Rosy returns reblooming daylilies




All is not well in our area. In addition to late spring freezes, we have too much rain in the spring, followed by summer droughts. The reliably healthy spruce trees have succumbed to Cytospora canker fungus. Expensive injections didn’t save the ash trees from Emerald Ash borers. We have fewer birds, bees, and butterflies. Caterpillars should be crawling all over my parsley plants. The monarda, normally a-buzz with bees and hummingbirds, is quiet.


Daylily


Readers and writers, what do you think about while tending your garden?


Daylily

16 comments:

  1. Lovely post and lovely photos, Margaret.

    This is the first year in quite some time that I've attempted a flower garden. It's embarrassing to admit, as a member of generations of farmers, I lack a green thumb. My rhododendron thrives as does my honeysuckle, but I've managed to kill most of my other perennials. I've planted some annual blooms this year as well as a few herbs. I'm faithfully watering as needed. Not so faithfully weeding, but I'm trying.

    Thankfully, we have a good supply of bees thanks to nearby neighbors who are beekeepers. I'm currently battling Japanese beetles for the survival of my basil. Bugs don't seem to be in short supply around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, enjoy your garden! We don't have Japanese beetles...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely pictures!

    I have some robust daylilies with flower stalks that end abruptly where the deer have chomped off every bud. And last year they devastated my hosta to the extent that most of them didn't come back. The dog is getting old and no longer alerts us to the presence of deer in the yard, although he will still chase them away if we notice & send him out.

    The weeds, I'm afraid, have gotten the better of me for a few years now. We are planning to move to a retirement community, where I will not have my own yard to tend or neglect, but does have a five acre formal garden with a fountain at the center, to which I intend to make regular visits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen, it's time to enjoy a garden someone else maintains. I'm sure it will be a source of comfort and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this meditation and visit to your garden, Margaret. Your photos are such a treat!
    We've had coyotes here for quite a few years and they were pretty bold - walking down the street in broad daylight. A family of them lived under a shed in the abandoned yard next to mine (they had a fire and had to renovate). The pups were so cute! We had no skunks ambling by that summer, which was the silver lining.
    My yard is a mish mosh of what the former owners had and my attempt to put in things I like that will survive our rocky and sandy soil. Russian sage and alliums are doing well. knock wood. Roses had their moment. Just hoping the bunnies don't find the tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shari, good luck with your tomatoes! I finally put mine in pots up on the deck, which means the squirrels can still get them. We have a large painted turtle roaming around the yard. So fast!

    I saw coyote pups on Cape Cod, the day they were moved from their winter den to more spacious quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yard police? Authorities? What's going on in your neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The village has ordinances for dead tree limbs, unmown grass, and weeds. If we get a letter, we have 30 days to comply. People with too much time on their hands and nothing to think about. Realtors are eager to report unkempt houses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best thing I'll read today. Thanks for the gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaye, always good to share gardening photos with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photographs. You have quite the green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful pictures. I don't really have a garden -- just a lawn, some lovely trees, and a lot of very determined wisteria that covers at least half an acre. We had somebody in to pull up the wisteria and grade the land, but his caterpillar keeps breaking down...sigh. Thank you for the lovely meditation and gorgeous pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, thanks! The yellow clay soil is a challenge, as are the changing weather patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barbara, thanks for stopping by! With temps in the mid to high nineties next week, I'm wondering what will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So that’s where you’ve been. Have you garnered any story ideas outdoors? Like the yard police undone?

    ReplyDelete