Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Crossing the Great Divide


Seventeen months ago I decided to change my lifestyle by relocating to Florida. I love being active and outdoors, and it was getting harder for me to physically bounce back each spring after the forced dormancy of the longer northern winters. I moved to St. Petersburg, and every day I’m more convinced that I made the right decision. I love St. Pete; the friendly people, the sunshine-y climate, the activity, the buzz.

Silly me. I thought I would settle in and that my decision-making was over.

In May 2020, I celebrated my birthday via Zoom since everyone was in COVID-19 lockdown. After blowing out the candles on my online virtual cake it suddenly occurred to me that maybe it was time to retire.

Retire? Me? What a mind-blowing concept! I remember talking about retiring with my sisters years ago, but that was all some faraway day. Well, someday is here. I stared sleeplessly at the ceiling for more than a few nights considering this life-changing next idea. Retire? Really? I’ve worked corporate for forty years. What else would I do?

Being an efficient project manager, I got out a legal pad and started a list. The first item in the plus column was an eye-opening winner: 1) more time to write.

Up until now, I’ve been fitting my creative writing between the cracks of my day job by sprinting first thing in the morning before I punch the clock or by tackling great blocks of it on weekends. When I consider reorganizing my daily life now to focus on my writing, it’s like seeing a splendid Technicolor dawn on the horizon. I’ve worked the numbers and I can make it work. There’s no reason not to do it. I’m in awe now over the unlimited possibility. I’m so excited about this retirement idea that I’m not even afraid of it, although it does represent another Big Change.

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So, buckle your seatbelts. Here I go! It feels surreal that I’ll wake up one day soon, sip my coffee, open my laptop and spend my day doing what I love the most: writing! I’ve come to another fork in my road - and I’m going to take it.

Wish me luck! What’s your retirement goal or story?

13 comments:

  1. I'm so excited and thrilled for you, Martha! Congratulations on being able to retire now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your retirement. If you are like most of us, you'll wonder how you had time for a regular job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Annette and Jim for the well wishes. It's funny how quickly the free time has filled up with new writerly projects. I think my creativity is filling back up - for the first time in years I have two story idea percolating in my brain. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seldom have I talked with a retired person who was unhappy. My adult children think you should retire first and then have to work. I told them they did. It was called childhood. Hope you enjoy your time as much as I do mine. Happy retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, good morning. I heartily agree! My favorite quote/advice so far is: "retirement is severely underrated.' It is an adjustment, but I can already see how my new focus is reaping benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Martha! Writers are never idle. There's always more on my schedule than I can do. Remember to take some time each day for yourself. You'll get so wrapped up in everything, it will be back to work before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Enjoy every blissful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for the retirement well wishes! The trick in Florida (as I previously learned in Texas) is to get your outdoor exercise and chores done first thing in the morning before it gets too hot. That frees me up to write and enjoy the air conditioning guilt-free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I hope you enjoy the time you now have to write.

    I retired a few years ago (forced medical retirement) and to tell the truth, I can't figure out how I ever used to fit a job into my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It took me a week to break the corporate work habit but I’m delighted to report the new writing schedule is up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your retirement from corporate America and your full-time employment as a writer. You will love the transition. I hope you share your new writing schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Martha, on the retirement and living in St Petersburg - what a lovely city! When I was still working at the library, we had many volunteers who were retirees. They all said the same thing - now that they were retired, they were busier than ever! Guard that writing time and beware of letting too many people know you're retired. you'll get recruited.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again, all. This community is part of my new lifestyle and I’m grateful for it! Write on.

    ReplyDelete