Sunday, July 26, 2020

Virtual Travel by Annette Dashofy


One of the hardest parts for me these last few months was watching my travel plans get canceled. Conferences and personal appearances tumbling one by one, like a line of dominoes. After the long winter of being holed up, writing frantically to finish my book, I was eager to get out and see the world.

Yeah. We all know how that worked out.

Even having reached the acceptance stage of grieving my lost spring and summer (and now autumn), I keep running into walls. My usual reaction to needing my creative well refilled is to take a day trip or a weekend jaunt somewhere. My husband did take me to a favorite park about an hour from home one Sunday. 
Deer spotted at Oglebay Park, Wheeling, WV

We packed a picnic lunch and a supply of hand sanitizer, and armed with our masks, headed out for a day of walking trails. Honestly, I was exhausted by the time we got home. Not from the exercise but from the mental stress of being hypervigilant about avoiding crowded areas of the park, veering off the narrow path when some bare-faced jogger was coming our way, and being aware of what I’d touched (more hand sanitizer!!!)

I’m turning into a hermit, content to write, read, practice yoga, and stroll on my treadmill.

And bake bread.

But my inner need to explore the world hasn’t gone dormant. Enter virtual travel. First, I played with Google Earth as a means of researching locations I can’t get to right now. It’s so much fun, especially in street view when you can “stand” in one spot and “pivot” to see different sides of a building or even what’s across the street. Google Earth is a rabbit hole, no doubt about it.

I tried the live webcam views available as virtual vacations. Big Brother truly is watching, folks. Those cameras are EVERYWHERE. But I found the live streams less than fulfilling. Watching beautiful beaches populated with people who were social distancing (or not) and were wearing masks (or not) failed to provide the escape for which I was searching.

There is one Earth Cam feed from Algonquin Park in Ontario that I find quite relaxing though.

I may have to go there someday.

The most effective method of visiting far-off locations though is the one I’ve used since I was a kid. Books, of course.

Since the lockdown began, I’ve visited Italy, England, and Africa courtesy of Rhys Bowen. (Have I mentioned the perk of being able to transport not just to other continents, but other times as well?) I’ve been to the beach during summer and winter, courtesy of Tara Laskowski.
I’ve been to upstate New York (Julia Spencer-Fleming’s Millers Kill is like a second home). Thanks to Edith Maxwell, I’ve been to Massachusetts circa 1889. I’m currently experiencing present-day Harvard through the lyrical writing of Francesca Serritella and 1920’s Louisiana through the rich, luscious prose of Ramona DeFelice Long.

Since my to-be-read shelves rival some small bookstores, I’m not likely to run out of places to go in my mind any time soon.

What about you? What fabulous literary journeys have you taken in the last few months?

12 comments:

  1. Earthcam is wonderful. Thank you for the introduction - I think. It's dark in most places right now, but I can tell you there is a man using his metal detector on the beach in Seaside, NJ.

    We haven't hooked up our tv yet, but when we do, I plan to travel via HGTV. During the pandemic books have brought me to Martha's Vineyard, MA (David F. Berens); Croset, VA (Rita Mae Brown) wartime Buffalo, NY (Liz Milliron); Fox Island, AK (near Seward) (Keenan Powell); Vance Township (Annette Dashofy) and so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, Kait. And I'm glad you included a stop in Vance Township during your pandemic literary travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm searching for comps for my book and read most recently the Sarah Graves Home Repair is Homicide books, including her two-book spin-off series about Lizzie Snow, a deputy sheriff in the northern wilds of Maine.

    Martin Walker's latest Bruno, Chief of Police, just arrived. Set in the Dordogne region of SW France, it's full of food, wine, a murder, and Bruno's sleuthing with his basset hound, Balzac.

    Next up, Daniel Silva's new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the last page of “The Jane Austen Society” by Natalie Jenner, so I’m at the end of WWII in Chawton, Hampshire, UK. It’s much more interesting than the current day since people then could leave home, talk to each other, and not worry about viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette, fun topic. I have also traveled with Rhys's help to France and England and Africa. I've recently been spending a lot of time in Vance Township, PA, catching up from book 1, thanks Annette. I've been to LA, Michael Connelly, spent a couple weeks on Nantucket with Merry Folger, also from book 1 straight through, and have just returned from Cuento, CA with Catriona MacPherson back to book 6 in PA again. The Audible books I cook and bake to have also transported me to England and to France, thanks to Deborah Crombie and James Benn. I have had a very busy travel schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m doing the same thing. Enjoyed a virtual trip Down Under with Jane Harper’s The Lost Man and stepped back in time with Ramona DeFelice Long’s The Murderess of Bayou Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Margaret, traveling with great food involved is always fabulous!

    Susan, you made me laugh. Yes, I've been reading more historicals than usual for that very reason. It's funny...I can get engrossed in a different time period and be fine with the hugging and handshakes, but if I read a contemporary that was written and published pre-Covid, I find myself thinking, "NO! Don't shake his hand! NO! Don't go to that party with all those people crowding around!"

    Judy, I hope you enjoyed your time in Vance Township! And any trip with Catriona is sure to be a hoot!

    Martha, The Murderess of Bayou Rosa is wonderful. Not surprised at all, of course, considering the author!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I've been in writing- and copy edits-jails, my travels have been cut short. But just before copy edits, I read Silk Road by Colin Falconer and traveled across medieval Asia. A dangerous trip, far outside my usual traditional and cozy mystery comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds intriguing, Shari. Good luck with your copy edits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy. It's a trip in both time and space, and I look up from reading, surprised I'm not surrounded by the countryside just beyond Camelot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. KM, that's a sure sign you're totally drawn into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though I live in the Midwest, I've been spending my time on the west coast. For with a Romantic Suspense series in Northern California. Then with a hard core thriiler that was a first for me- Frank Zafiro's In the Cut, set in Spokane, Washington

    ReplyDelete