Sunday, July 12, 2020

New Beginnings by Annette Dashofy


Last week, I opened a blank Word document, formatted the header, spaced down a few lines, and typed “Chapter One.” 
With ten published novels and several unpublished ones stashed away on my computer, this isn’t the first time I’ve gone through the process. While the level of “what the hell am I doing” anxiety is lower than it used to be, there’s still some of it to contend with.

At author events, I’ve been asked what’s the hardest thing to write? The beginning or the end? My answer is “Yes.” Also, add the middle in there. Basically, the hardest part to write is the part I’m currently working on.

Sometimes, I go through the above-mentioned process, hoping that by the time I’ve set up the document, titled, and saved it in a brand-new folder, the opening line will have come to me. Sometimes, I start typing, knowing full well I’m going to rewrite or delete a large chunk of it during revision. I simply need to put words on the page, hoping that more and better words will follow.

But not this time.

This time, I knew right away where the story began. I knew the opening scene and what all needed to happen in it.

Being a glutton for punishment, I have two protagonists with alternating points of view, which means I frequently have two opening scenes. On rare occasions, Pete and Zoe share an opening scene.

But not this time.

This time, Pete has the first scene all to himself. Once I completed it, I started over with a second opening scene, introducing Zoe. Words are flowing!

New beginnings, be they a work of fiction or a life change, can be exhilarating or terrifying. Or both. A lot of us are experiencing new beginnings during what’s already a stressful time in the world. My heart breaks for those who were eagerly anticipating opening a new business only to have their doors quickly shut due to the pandemic.

I’ve started two different books since the world shut down. The first, a different series, was placed on hold. For now.

While eager to try something new, after receiving some wise professional advice, I tucked it aside, opting instead for another story with tried-and-true characters and settings. For one thing, I don’t have to venture far to research the location, which is good under the current circumstances. For another, while it’s a new beginning, it’s also comfortable. And with so much uncertainty in the world, hanging out with Pete, Zoe, Sylvia, Baronick, and the gang is soothing to my soul.

I don’t have to social distance from them!

Writing has once again become a welcome escape, a place where my imagination takes me away from a current reality that’s more frightening than a Stephen King novel. Each morning, I eagerly shut out the world, take a seat at my desk, and disappear into the world of my story.

There have been times when the prospect of filling hundreds of blank pages has been daunting. Right now, this new beginning is a safe haven.

Fellow writers, are your works in progress providing an escape for you, or are you struggling to put words on the page with everything else going on? Readers, what kind of books are you choosing right now to escape reality?



15 comments:

  1. Please write fast. I am eagerly awaiting the next Zoe and Pete book.

    Safe haven. The perfect way to describe the space that writing creates in our lives. Well said, Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kait. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on short stories, which give me a sense of satisfaction and completion much more quickly than the novel which is hunkering in the back of my brain (and on my computer.)

    Looking forward to reading more of Zoe and Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan!

    KM, I'm planning to start a short story before the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Annette. You took a giant step forward--you started writing. It's like priming the pump to get the water flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Grace. That's a perfect analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your point about not having to social distance from our characters. What a relief! And, depending on when you're setting the fiction, THEY don't have to, either. Although that's beginning to feel weird for me. Congrats on the new start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaye, I know what you mean. As of right now, the only concession I've made to our current "normal" is I'm no longer mentioning handshakes. Right now, we have no idea what "normal" will be like in a year. If I have to adapt the story, I'll do it in revisions. Hopefully not.

    And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to set up the format for my next book and get to the point where I type Chapter One - I'm in writer avoidance mode right now, but it needs to end. Soon. Today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do it, Kay! It's such a relief to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your description reminds me of the excitement of moving into a new home. May it suit you, and your fond readers, well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, I think it applies to all new beginnings. Excitement mingled with trepidation and fear of the unknown.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete