Monday, July 27, 2020

WORDS by Nancy L. Eady


            I love the fact that English is a changing language. Based on the times we live in, recent inventions, new slang expressions and circumstances, the English language is constantly evolving, adding new words while allowing other words to become obsolete. For example, the Oxford English Dictionary, which attempts to define every word and certain phrases in the English language, has made 21 changes to its massive dictionary solely based on Covid-19—new words, sub-entries or revisions and additions to existing definitions. They moved up their normal quarterly update to catalog those changes.
            Which leads me to one of my shameful secrets—I am a hopeless word nerd and subscribe to the Oxford English Dictionary’s “word of the day” emails. The words they select to share range over a broad variety of subjects, and they don’t always mean what they sound like they should mean.  
            For example, one word was “bombogenesis.”  Looking at it, you might think the word refers to the initial stages used in manufacturing a bomb. But no, “bombogenesis” describes a sudden drop in barometric pressure in the center of an extratropical storm.
            Then there was the word “pacation.”  Since one of the earlier daily words had been “staycation,” I could be forgiven for thinking “pacation” referred to a vacation you pay for. Nope. “Pacation” is the act of calming, or pacifying someone down, or the state of being peaceful or appeasement. I’m not sure when “pacation’s” heyday was, but it is rare now.
            The word “ayuh” sounds like it was an Indian word that revolved into the English language during England’s occupation of India. Instead, it means “yes,” chiefly used in New England and especially Maine.
            Once the writers lure you into believing none of the daily words’ meanings can be deduced from the way they sound or look, they hit you with a word like “cox-combery,” which means conceitedness, vanity, pretentious affectation or [here’s another good word] foppery. That meaning is foreshadowed from the word’s spelling.
            Some words are just fun to say, like “simi-dimi,” an English word from the Caribbean, mostly Trinidad. It refers to mumbo jumbo or meaningless, elaborate rituals.
            As you will have already noticed from these words, a lot of nations contribute words to our language. For example, were you aware of “Nigerian English”?  The word “bukateria” is from Nigerian English. A bukateria is a roadside restaurant or stall with seating that sells cooked food at low prices.
            I saved the best word for last— “quank.”  A quank sounds like a confused or grumpy sub-atomic particle or a cranky duck. The cranky duck idea isn’t so far from the mark—to “quank” is to utter a harsh croaking or honking cry.
            So what are the interesting words you’ve found? 

8 comments:

  1. I think "quank" is my personal word of the day on this Monday.

    I love collecting words and phrases and not only the obscure ones. Sometimes I make a note of a word used in an overheard conversation because it's one I haven't used in my writing but feel I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d like to see you use “quank” in your writing. I think that might pull readers out of your story. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bumper sticker pinned to the kitchen bulletin board:

    Bionic ducks go "quark quark."

    I like quank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love quank! Such a quirky word.

    One of the women in a church I belonged to in the 1990s used simi-dimi often. She defined it in English as "this and that or something else." She was from Trinidad but I never made the connection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pesthouses--Historical. A hospital for people suffering from infectious diseases, especially the plague.

    Negroni--a cocktail made from gin, vermouth, and Campari.

    Panicle--a loose, branching cluster of flowers, as in [sea] oats.

    All from Mary Alice Monroe's Beach House series, which I had to re-read this summer and introduce to my daughter, who also loved it. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quank is awesome. Looking forward to reading in many a story.

    Defenestration...the throwing of a person (or thing) out of a window. (Learned it from my then-16 year old son and I used it in a chapter title.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun!

    I once used riprap in a story. I thought it was a reasonably common word (I still do, actually) I was amazed at the number of people who weren't familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete