Thursday, July 14, 2022

Nita Prose's The Maid

 


By Margaret S. Hamilton

 

Twenty-five-year-old Molly Gray resides in an unidentified city, probably in Canada, where author Nita Prose lives, and works as a hotel maid. Since her grandmother’s recent death, she lives alone and has no friends. Clad in her immaculate white uniform shirt and black pencil skirt, washed and pressed daily by the hotel laundry, she is invisible to others, a cleaner lugging her cart on and off the hotel elevators:

 

I am your maid. I’m the one who cleans your hotel room, who enters like a phantom when you’re out gallivanting for the day, no care at all about what you’ve left behind, the mess, or what I might see when you’re gone. I’m the one who empties your trash, tossing out the receipts you don’t want anyone to discover. I’m the one who changes your sheets, who can tell if you slept in them and if you were alone last night. I’m the one who straightens your shoes by the door, who puffs up your pillows and finds stray hairs on them. Yours? Not likely. (p.6)

 

Molly is neurodivergent, obsessive about her cleaning, and a slave to etiquette. She is quiet and conscientious, the ideal hotel employee—until she finds a wealthy hotel patron, Charles Black, dead in his bed. Molly, who is perceived as odd by other employees, is the perfect suspect. After she is arrested and appears in court wearing her grandmother’s pajamas printed with teapots, she is released on bail.

 

Molly learns she has friends who want to help her: Mr. Preston, the hotel doorman, and his criminal defense attorney daughter, Charlotte; and Juan Manual, a hotel dishwasher. Rodney, the hotel bartender, is involved with nefarious doings at the hotel, possibly related to Mr. Black’s untimely demise. A trap is set and the real culprit in Mr. Black’s death is identified and charged. But only Molly knows the whole truth about what happened in Mr. Black’s hotel suite that fateful morning.

 

Nita Prose’s writing is lucid and precise, flowing seamlessly between past and present. Molly’s gran taught her to use quirky British terms and aphorisms. Molly is plucky, a heroine from a past age, who, by the end of the book, becomes her own woman. She receives a promotion at the hotel and plans to continue working toward her university degree in hotel management.

 

Though Molly is an appealing neurodivergent character, she lacks the sass and bite of Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant. Eleanor is older, better educated, and more independent than Molly. I find Eleanor compelling, but she does lack Molly’s charming naivete.

 

Nita Prose delivers a good overview of the life of a hotel maid—the procedures and cleaning supplies, interactions with hotel guests, and the all-important monetary tips they leave. However, after spending a summer working as a motel maid, I know that a single cleaner can only clean one room every half hour (bathroom, fresh sheets and towels, thorough vacuuming and dusting), or eight rooms a day. Molly’s workload is unrealistic.


Readers and writers, have you ever worked at a hotel? How would you set a “Clue” style murder mystery in a hotel or in an “Only Murders in the Building” style plot?

 

 

13 comments:

  1. I have fortunately never worked in a hotel. I have always had great respect for those who do because I’ve listened to their stories. Not sure if the story needs to be Clue though – there is always the opportunity for an odd man out in a hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your write up compelling. Might have to read this book. I set one of my books in a hotel. No, I never worked in one, but I interviewed the security manager, who had been a county sheriff in Michigan before retiring to Naples, FL. It was a great place to stage a murder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book, especially the last revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dare I say "Some of my best friends" have been hotel workers, including housekeepers. But not me.

    I don't think everybody is as unaware of housekeepers as seems to be the case here. However, I don't have much experience in top-notch hotels, so perhaps it is different there.

    This does sound like something I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm halfway through the Maid and so far haven't been blown away. Looking forward to curling up and finishing.
    I was a waitress in a hotel restaurant - I loved the Sunday brunches. Less work and bigger tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the book, but it doesn't stand up to Eleanor Oliphant, for sure! I found myself getting impatient with Molly--and then, feeling bad because of it. I have no experience as a maid, and I'm not sure, after reading the book that I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see everybody reading this book. It's on my TBR list. I like the idea of a neurodivergent character and the upscale hotel setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kait, I agree a good hotel murder can go in so many directions.
    Elaine, I hope you enjoy it.
    Marilyn, I liked the book, but Molly didn't click with me.
    Kathleen, I'm curious to learn if you like the book.
    Shari, I hope you like the ending! I agree, Sunday brunch is a great shift to work.
    Shari H, I agree that Eleanor Oliphant is a nuanced and unforgettable character.
    Korina and Debra, enjoy! It's a fun read.
    Forgot to mention that Universal is making a movie based on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent read! Many families compare Maid Cost in Jaipur before making a hiring decision, and this article explains the factors clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Part time Maid services in Gurgaon are ideal for working professionals who need support for daily chores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finding trustworthy domestic help has become much easier with professionalMaid services in Gurgaon. As modern lifestyles become busier, many families prefer hiring experienced maids through reliable agencies instead of searching on their own. A professional service helps connect households with trained, verified, and dependable domestic staff for various household needs.

    One of the biggest benefits of choosing **Maid services in Gurgaon** is the availability of qualified professionals for different roles. Whether you need a housekeeper, cook, babysitter, live-in maid, elderly caregiver, or part-time helper, experienced agencies provide suitable candidates based on your requirements. This saves time and ensures that families receive assistance from people with relevant experience.

    Reliable **Maid services in Gurgaon** place great importance on verification and customer safety. Most established agencies perform identity verification, document checks, and basic background screening before recommending domestic helpers. These measures help families feel more confident while hiring someone to work inside their homes.

    Every household has unique expectations, which is why **Maid services in Gurgaon** offer customized hiring solutions. Some families require a maid for a few hours every day, while others need full-time or live-in support. Professional agencies understand these differences and recommend candidates according to work schedules, responsibilities, and household preferences.

    Hiring through a trusted agency also provides valuable customer support. Many **Maid services in Gurgaon** offer replacement assistance if a maid leaves the job or if the family's requirements change. This added convenience reduces the stress of finding a replacement independently and ensures continuity in household work.

    Professional domestic helpers play an important role in improving daily life. They assist with cleaning rooms, maintaining hygiene, washing clothes, preparing meals, caring for children, and supporting elderly family members. With reliable **Maid services in Gurgaon**, homeowners can enjoy a cleaner home while focusing on their careers, businesses, or spending quality time with family.

    Before selecting a service provider, it is wise to compare different agencies based on their experience, customer reviews, service quality, transparency, and support policies. A reputed provider of **Maid services in Gurgaon** will explain the hiring process clearly, answer customer queries promptly, and maintain professional standards throughout the service period.

    Choosing experienced **Maid services in Gurgaon** is a practical solution for families seeking reliable domestic assistance. Professional agencies simplify the hiring process by providing verified staff, flexible service options, and ongoing customer support. Whether your requirement is for housekeeping, cooking, childcare, or elderly care, a trusted maid service can make everyday life more convenient, organized, and stress-free while ensuring comfort and peace of mind for every member of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taking care of your oral health is essential for maintaining healthy teeth, strong gums, and a confident smile. Regular dental visits help prevent common problems and allow dentists to identify potential concerns at an early stage. If you are searching for the best dental clinic in jaipur , choosing a clinic that offers professional expertise, modern facilities, and patient-focused care can make your dental journey more comfortable.

    Dental clinics in Jaipur provide various services to meet the needs of children, adults, and senior citizens. Common treatments include dental checkups, teeth cleaning, cavity fillings, root canal treatment, tooth extraction, dental implants, braces, and cosmetic dentistry. Understanding these services can help patients find appropriate care for their individual dental concerns.

    A comprehensive dental examination is often the first step toward better oral health. During the consultation, a dentist evaluates the condition of the teeth and gums, identifies potential problems, and discusses suitable treatment options. A personalized approach is important because every patient has different dental requirements, medical considerations, and treatment expectations.

    Technology has become an important part of modern dentistry. Digital dental imaging and advanced diagnostic equipment can assist dentists in identifying problems and planning appropriate procedures. Along with technology, proper sterilization, clean treatment areas, and established infection-control practices are essential features to consider when evaluating a dental clinic.

    Preventive dentistry helps patients maintain healthy teeth and gums over time. Professional scaling and cleaning can remove plaque and hardened deposits, while routine examinations may help detect early signs of cavities or gum disease. Dentists can also provide guidance on brushing techniques, flossing, and other habits that support good oral hygiene.

    Patients interested in improving their smiles can explore cosmetic dental treatments. Teeth whitening, veneers, and selected smile correction procedures may help address aesthetic concerns. For missing teeth, restorative solutions such as dental bridges, dentures, or implants may be considered following a detailed dental assessment. Discussing the benefits, limitations, and costs of each option can help patients make informed choices.

    When choosing the best dental clinic in Jaipur, it is useful to review the dentist's qualifications, patient feedback, range of treatments, appointment availability, and transparency regarding fees. A good consultation should provide clear information about the recommended procedure, expected recovery, and any necessary follow-up care.

    Maintaining oral health also requires consistent daily habits. Brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, cleaning between teeth, drinking enough water, and limiting frequent sugary snacks can support dental health. Patients experiencing persistent tooth pain, bleeding gums, or sensitivity should seek professional advice instead of delaying treatment.

    In conclusion, selecting the right dental clinic is an important investment in long-term oral health. By considering clinical expertise, hygiene standards, modern facilities, and personalized attention, patients can find dental care that suits their needs. Regular checkups and good oral hygiene practices can further help protect your smile for years to come.

    ReplyDelete