Sunday, July 24, 2022

Home Sweet Home by Annette Dashofy

Like most of us, I holed up all of 2020 and most of 2021. This year was the year everything was going to get back to normal. Don’t laugh. We all thought it would or at least hoped it would. 

Fully vaxxed, the mystery writing community gathered in Bethesda in April for Malice Domestic. There were smiles and hugs galore. 

And then a bunch of attendees came home with Covid. I was relieved that I was not among them. 

A few weeks later, my Pennwriters family gathered in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for our annual conference. There were still smiles and hugs, but we were all a little (a lot) more cautious. Again, there were cases of Covid that showed up the following week. 

There have been other conferences and conventions across the country this summer. I’ve given quite a few talks and been on some panels closer to home. And then two weekends ago, I did something I haven’t done since late 2019. 

I boarded a plane. 

Sleuthfest in southern Florida was fun with more smiles and hugs. 

Florida!

I shared a room with fellow Writers Who Kill blogger, Martha Reed. 

Martha and Annette 
AKA Thelma and Louise

We joined several of our crime writer pals and had dinner with Jeffery Deaver. (Yes, THE Jeffery Deaver! Why did I not get a picture???) There were panels and workshops and book signings for two solid days. 

Hanging out with Micki Browning

And Bruce Coffin
It was a blast. Except for the air travel. 

Seriously, though, I can’t complain (much). My flights from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale were smooth sailing. On time. No problems making connections. 

They did not lose my luggage. 

I breathed a sigh of relief. 

My trip home on Sunday fell on my birthday. The TSA woman who checked me in wished me a happy one. The first leg from Fort Lauderdale to Philadelphia went smoothly. But then, a less than one-hour flight from home, the snags hit. My flight to Pittsburgh was delayed. No biggie. I found my gate and a nearby eatery, bought a pizza, and sat down to browse Facebook while enjoying my dinner. 

Facebook had frozen my account. On my birthday. Because someone had pretended to be me a month ago. They offered hoops I could jump through to reclaim my account. I was sitting in an airport, using their wifi. No way was I going to reset passwords on an insecure network, even though I was using my VPN. 

So I waited for two hours, feeling grumpy and not very celebratory, for my flight home. 

In hindsight, it wasn’t awful. Only two hours. It was the final leg of my trip home, so it wasn’t like I was going to miss a connection. And in the worst-case scenario, I could’ve rented a car in the morning and driven home. (On the PA Turnpike? No, thank you. I’d rather fly.)

 But I made it home that evening. They didn’t lose my luggage. I reclaimed my Facebook profile the next morning. 

And I didn’t catch Covid. 

Home Sweet Home. 

Happy to be home with Kensi Kitty

Have you ventured onto a plane since the shutdown? How did it go? Or are you still staying home and waiting it out?

12 comments:

  1. Sleuthfest sounds like it was a blast, Annette, and happy belated birthday! I flew to New Orleans for a reunion with my three college roommates at the end of March - My first flight since Covid began. And while flying wasn't much fun, the get-together was fabulous and long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mally, even in the "before times," flying wasn't much fun. I can't count how many times I've had flights delayed or canceled and connections missed, all long before these latest issues. But you are so right. Getting together once you reach your destination is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful to see you at SleuthFest, Annette, and to catch up. It looks like Kenzi is happy you're home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We flew down to Houston for a family event in May and avoided Covid. Other than two opera performances (masked) and Killer Nashville at the end of August, we're sticking close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, it's always so much fun to hang out with you and create new memories (and stories to tell!)

    Margaret, have fun at Killer Nashville. I need to get back there someday. Not this year though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you at sleuthfest... and to know you made it home in one piece :). As I landed for my connection, my phone started telling me that I was being assigned a later flight time. Just in case (and because I had a printed out boarding pass from when I checked my luggage, I hustled to the gate where my original flight was supposed to leave from. The attendant looked up and said, "You made it!" Dropped into my seat to hear one woman behind me, probably breathing as hard as I was, asking the stewardess if there was time for her to go to the bathroom. She did as they closed the door. I bet she was as happy as I was when we took off and landed on time --- instead of being stuck for 3+ more hours in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you escaped COVID and I think you are very brave for venturing on a plane during a time not so much of COVID but of rampant flight cancellations! Glad you are home safe and sound and working on that next book 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Debra, I've made that frantic gate run a few times in the past. Once, they closed the door as soon as I hit my seat. I'm glad you made it!

    Kait, it is definitely good to be home and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For most of your trips you had luck with you. But losing fb on your birthday! At least we got to wish you Happy Birthday a day later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You came through a winner on all counts. Brava!
    I haven't been more than 15 miles from home since COVID began, no big public events, and all four recommended doses of Moderna . . . What makes it okay? Books! . . . so many books! Thanks, authors! <3
    My FB account was just frozen today . . . "suspicious activity" Ah well, in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Mary. And OH NO about the frozen account. Mine's been frozen at least once a day for the last week. I sure hope whatever glitch is causing these FB problems gets fixed SOON.

    And on behalf of myself and other authors, you are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete