Thursday, July 21, 2022

Dealing With the New by Marilyn Levinson

I don't know about you, but I get nervous whenever I do something for the first time. I participate in a conference panel with ease; have a great time doing an author takeover and leading a book club discussion. Well, sure. That's because I've done those several times. Having taught high school Spanish for years got me very used to speaking in front of a group.

But we all face new challenges as we go through life. What I consider one of my greatest life achievements was convincing my ninety-plus father to move from his condo into an independent unit in a residence where he would receive some necessary attention. His doctor had been trying to get him to make this move for several months. In fact, my husband and I had even found a residence very close to where he'd been living. Somehow on one visit to Florida, I managed to convince my father to make the move. Not only that, within three days we had him settled in his new unit across the avenue and put his condo up for sale. All within three days!

In the past few years I've been forced to deal with new situations. Now that I am widowed, I make large home purchases and arrange repairs with aplomb. Because one of my TVs stopping working and the equipment from my provider was years old, I recently disconnected all the wires and gizmos connected to my phone, computer and TVs. For a hefty fee, the company would have been happy to send a technician to my home, but I decided I could do it myself. I used my common sense and made several phone calls to my provider's technicians in far away countries. And when a technician couldn't help me, I was wise enough to thank him or her, hang up, and call back to get another technician who might better help me restore the use of my equipment. I got it done. All is now in good working order.

We writers are constantly dealing with the new with each story, novel, and series that we write. We can't keep on writing the same story or we would be boring our readers. Besides, where's the fun in that? I'm a bit nervous as I plan out the new series I'll soon be writing soon. All those new characters and adventures, a different setting and tone. Still, like all new experiences, I'll grow and learn from it. 






12 comments:

  1. Best of luck wrestling the new characters into compliance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the new series, Marilyn – it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck! What fun to outline a new series and characters

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun, Marilyn! All your jitters and nerves work will work together with your joy of discovery in this new series - and you'll make it terrific. Can't wait to hear about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, Kait, Margaret and Molly,
    Thanks for your good wishes re my new series. Meanwhile, I'm finishing up my next-to-last book in my current series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your new characters (and series) are anywhere near as intriguing as the last ones, we're all in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen,
    Thanks so much! I hope I don't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just wondering the other day when any of this would become comfortable. But as you pointed out, new can be exciting. And with each challenge that we take on and succeed at on our own, we become more confident to tackle the next new thing. I'm certain your series will be exciting for readers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see what your new books will be! We're in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to the new series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Korina and Shari. I agree, Korina, we get some confidence when we tackle something new. There's excitement, too, like getting ready to go on a trip (which I would LOVE) but some anxiety as well. But I think trying new things helps us grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excited for your new concept and can't wait until we see how your new group of characters tax your patience (and creativity).

    ReplyDelete