Saturday, October 26, 2019

Serial Sprees by Kait Carson



I recently encountered the oddest problem. I ran out of books to read on my Kindle. That might not be strange for some, but I had purchased 25 books during a multi-author promotion less than a month ago. The thought of those glorious books kept me warm while reading my way through my Kindle TBR category. So, where were they?

The book titles and covers appeared on my device when I opened the download all tab. I was able to click on each title and be comforted by the words queued and downloaded, but nothing opened. Disaster. My usual fix it, multiple clicks to convince the device I meant it, failed to satisfy. My second-best computer fix, turn Kindle off and on, also failed me. Left with no alternative, I opened my laptop and surfed to Amazon Manage My Digital Content.

Every title was there, each and every one happily set for download on my current Kindle’s predecessor. Crisis averted! Problem solved with a simple instruction to redirect the books to my latest reader. Because I’m an organized kind of person, and I like everything in the proper category, I scanned all the books marking those I had read, confirming they were on the correct bookshelf, and generally tidying my Kindle collection. An activity I highly recommend.

Things didn’t get scary until I decided to sort by date read. That’s when I learned I’m obsessive. I read in series. The proof was in the dates. Diane Vallere’s Samantha Kidd series, one through six, all in a row. Kathi Daley’s Zoe Donovan series – one followed the other like so many dominos. Annette Dashofy’s Zoe Chamber’s series, yep, all eight. Not only that, I’d purchased and read them at release, but the read dates confirmed I’d re-read them this summer, this time straight through from book 1, some in one day. There were so many more, the series cited are merely the latest evidence of my need to read in order.

I can’t hide it anymore, I have to confess, I’m a serial reader, and I binge. There, I’ve said it and I feel better.

How about you, readers and writers, do you read in a series, and do you binge?  What was your latest guilty pleasure?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kait - I have definitely been known to binge! The last was when I found a stack of MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin paperbacks at a used bookstore. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of running out of books is scary!

    I do like to read series in order, but I don't binge. I tend to intersperse them with other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to love certain authors. I always want to snap up the latest from Michael Connelly and Robert Crais. If I found a stack of their books that I hadn't read, I would totally binge. That habit caries over in to the British and Australian cop shows, like Line of Duty. I like my stories a little darker, just not true noir. I always want the good guys to win in the end and the bad guys to get what's coming to them. Have also been enjoying the Australian show, City Homicide. There are many cozy books that are so well written, they are enjoyable to read, like Marilyn Levinson's first haunted library book. I really liked that book. Unfortunately I need a bit more intrigue, danger, and a touch of violence in my readings, so I go back to the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shari, Oh, I would be right behind you on that. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @KM - it was, that's when I realized I was addicted. Worse I could see that there were unread books, but I couldn't get to them. It was like being trapped in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

    I never binged before Netflix! How do you keep all the subplots straight? Or do you trust the author to provide enough background to reintroduce the past dark spots and secondary arcs? Most series authors are great at that - but sometimes there is something I know I know and can't bring to the surface - then it's binge time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put Sasscer - the dark side does have a mesmerizing pull. After seeing Connelly at a Writers Police Academy I totally binged on his books. It was fascinating to see how he updated and aged his characters in what was almost real time.

    When we think of binge reading we often do think of cozies, but as you have pointed out, there are some great noirish and traditional series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many books in my TBR stack that I can't keep up with all of them. I receive books at Malice each year and the stack keeps growing. Now I have books on my iPhone. Now that I'm writing and promoting books, I find I have less time to read than before, so I'm even further behind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll catch up Grace - at least with the books that matter to you!

    ReplyDelete