Sunday, October 27, 2019

Memories of Bouchercons Past



On Tuesday, I’ll be jetting off to Dallas, TX for Bouchercon 2019. Arguably the largest mystery/thriller fan convention in the country, for me it’s a chance to meet my readers and be a total fangirl at the same time. I wish I could go every year, but tight travel budgets get in the way. This will be my seventh Bcon.

As I make my lists and pack my suitcases, I’ve been sorting through photos from past years, remembering friends I’ve made and friends who are no longer with us.

My first Bcon was 2008 in Baltimore. I traveled and roomed with good pal Joyce Tremel. Neither of us were published yet but were somewhat “known” for our group blog Working Stiffs. Joyce and I finally met Wilfred Bereswill, one of our fellow Stiffs, face-to-face. 

Will passed away unexpectedly a few years later, which makes this memory all the more bittersweet.


I also met Hank Phillippi Ryan for the first time there, and I’m proud and honored to still count her as a good friend.

In 2012, I attended Bouchercon in Cleveland. Only two hours from home, a lot of my local Sisters in Crime made the trip from Pittsburgh. 


I never expected to fall in love with a city that’s home to some of our biggest sports rivalries, but I did.

Especially the chocolate martinis at the Chocolate Bar.

Bouchercon took me to Long Beach, CA in 2014 where I must confess, I played hooky a lot.



I mean, it was Long Beach. California. In November. Back home in Pittsburgh we had snow. 

In Long Beach, I dipped my toes in the Pacific.

Most of my memories of Raleigh, NC in 2015 never made it to film, including Martha Reed eating okra in the hotel restaurant. 

They also had chocolate martinis.

In 2016, the mystery world took over New Orleans. Again, I played a lot of hooky to see the sights. 





The food. The atmosphere. The architecture. 

But mostly, the good friends. It was amazing.

Last year, in 2018, I traveled to St. Petersburg, FL. I spent a lot more time at the convention this time, but it was in the Vinoy! Who needed to go anywhere else?










For anyone coming to Dallas, I promise to be close by…because I’ve wised up and am going a day early to sightsee before Bouchercon officially kicks off! I hope to see you there!





10 comments:

  1. Love this post. It was like going down memory lane. See you in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dru! I loved going through my photo collection to create it! Looking forward to seeing you and making more memories this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of great memories here! Thanks, Annette for posting the pix. I'm sure Dallas will add more to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that picture of Martha wasting okra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get a photo of it, Liz, but that expression is burned into my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks like so much fun. I have my fingers crossed for next year.

    Bouchercon is my bad luck conference. I have had to cancel for health reasons each and every year I've signed up. Where is Bouchercon 2020? The new decade may bring a change of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time, everybody who's going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kait, Bcon is in Sacramento next year.

    I hope you get to break that bad luck conference curse SOON.

    ReplyDelete